• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tip on installing the Shark II Antenna

I decided to install the Shark II antenna to bring the look into the 21st century. I read somewhere that the nut was somewhat difficult to get on the bottom of the new antenna. WOW that's was an understatement. I must have tried for an hour and it just wouldn't engage the threads.

Finally decided the nut must not be able to get on the base far enough. I ground down the little swivel part of the nut and eliminated the little points that stick up to grip the underside of the body panel. Eureka! That was the trick. The body metal was just thick enough to keep the nut from engaging the threads.

I do like the look much better than when the fishing pole was extended.

Keith

I can't tell you how many times I drop that nut in the quarter panel and had to use a magnetic tool to fetch it out. Thank goodness there is a seperate enclosure and it doesn't fall all the way down the quarter panel.

It took me about 40 minutes and a lot of cursing on how stupid the design was to get that nut on.

I got it on by using the tips of my finger to barely get it just to hold on a thread and then I shoved a long socket attached to an extension (forgot which size) on it. I made sure that the wires stuck out of the little gap on the swivel part before I attempted to turn it. I just turned the socket without the ratchet, just socket on extension, in hopes it would catch. After about 6 attempts if finally started to tighten.

Did you guys connect the wire or left it unconnected? I looked on my other car and the guy that installed the antenna left it unconnected, so I did the same for the other car.

Ya I had the same problem too. I did connect the wire- I believe its power for the antenna. I fed the wire through the nut before tightning and then used needle nose pliers to tighten as much

when i installed it i used a long magnetic socket onto an extension. i set the wires in position holding them down with my hand and just threaded it in there. Ok it took about 2 or 3 times but the sucker went in. I too connected the wire since its required for optimal usage. I recently removed it and put back the stock setup due to inadequate frequency reading. It was ok but the stock worked better IMO. The smartantenna mixed the pole situation since im now running an mp3 CD changer.

Yes I connected the wire as I assumed it was a built in signal booster on the antenna. I connected to the pink and white wire that originally went to the power antenna.

keith

Just dont tighten down too much or it will dig into the paint since it has a rubbre lip isnt by any means flat. I have a slight crease in my paint in that location.

Are any of you outside of a major city and can comment on the reception strength away from the huge transmitters and strong signals?

Just remove the rear left taillight and the whole comparment opens up for you to access the nut. Its really easy, just a lil time consuming but at least you are only removing the left tail light and not both. You can stick your whole arm into the opening and use whatever tools you have to tighten the nut perfect.

53heloFE said:
Are any of you outside of a major city and can comment on the reception strength away from the huge transmitters and strong signals?
reception was not that great. I never received a good solid stereo signal from the factory radio and i live close to a big city. When i use to travel out of state i found it to be useless. I also hooked up all the necessary wires which were suppose to be a signal booster. Maybe it was just my unit .

Angelo08 said:
reception was not that great. I never received a good solid stereo signal from the factory radio and i live close to a big city. When i use to travel out of state i found it to be useless. I also hooked up all the necessary wires which were suppose to be a signal booster. Maybe it was just my unit .

So would you say you get the same, if not better reception from the shark antenna than the stock one?

53heloFE said:
So would you say you get the same, if not better reception from the shark antenna than the stock one?
No the stock one works 10x better. I decided to put it back in. I mean the stock one isnt by any means the best frequency catcher out there but it does its job far better than the shark antenna especially since it touches the clouds when its raised :).

This might seem odd, but I found that I get slightly better reception without connecting the wire.

I seem to get better reception with this unit over the stock unit, but only slightly better. I would not buy this antenna hoping to compete against the SETI program and listen to alien conversations. The reason I change it out was because of looks and I was tired of hearing that motor go up and down. Silence is Golden. :tongue:

I used a socket wrench with an extension. I think it was either a 7/8" or a 1" socket that did the trick. Also I didn't fish the wire through the nut (so I could use the socket, I just ran the wires through that little cutout. It was hard at first, but I ended up getting it. I've done it twice on two different cars. It's not that bad with the right tools.

Just got doing this, an 02 socket is a perfect fit. Did the install in 15 mins.

Poor design though, in order to get it snugged so that it won't move around..... it requires it to be torqued it down too much which bowes in the 1/4 panel a bit.

OK,

Sorry, but what is an 02 socket???

Thanks,

A socket made to remove 02 sensors.

DSC00424.jpg

I installed mine last weekend and i don't wanna brag or anything but it went easy. To tighten it i just used a open end wrench and pushed down on the antenna. But it was alittle tough to get the nut started.

I installed mine after the OEM failed to mechanically roll down, and remembered that it was a total PITA. I'm sure it took well over 30mins to do, but in the end it was well worth it.

Back