• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

I pulled off my 18/17 Volk AV3's and replaced with OEM. Here is the official weight savings.
Here is the 15in OEM (in Kilos, sorry) 34.61 POUNDS
11222_.jpg

16 OEM (in Kilos) 40.98 POUNDS
11223_.jpg

Volk AV3 in 17 w/G3 D3 F1's 245
11225_.jpg

Now Volks 18's w/G3 D3 F1's 285's ( in lbs)
11224_.jpg

some side by side comparison shots
11226_.jpg

11227_.jpg

11228_.jpg

Whoa!!! Those volks are heavy :) you must have some better acceleration now.

I too was concerned about going 17/18s but wanted to keep weight as small as possible so I opted for Oz 17/18s which are pretty light and I think might weigh less or about the same as stocker 16/17s? they look great also on a Red NSX :)

I too was concerned about going 17/18s but wanted to keep weight as small as possible so I opted for Oz 17/18s which are pretty light and I think might weigh less or about the same as stocker 16/17s? they look great also on a Red NSX :)

Did you weigh them with tires?

No, just going by rim weight comparisons of the stock 16 and 17s.

Ugh, not sure I understand.. the pictures show tires on them, and 30+ lb OEM RIM would be ridicoulusly heavy :)

For comps, my 18/19 HREs & Michellin PS2 is ~50 lbs +/-, roughly the same weight at 17/18 GTCs with Potenza REO1Rs..

Ugh, not sure I understand.. the pictures show tires on them, and 30+ lb OEM RIM would be ridicoulusly heavy :)

For comps, my 18/19 HREs & Michellin PS2 is ~50 lbs +/-, roughly the same weight at 17/18 GTCs with Potenza REO1Rs..

It was Greg Z who posted the pictures with the tires on them, not NSXKnight.

how much weight saving is there if the rear glass hatch is replaced with the sos rear lexan hatch? Has anyone here had any problems installing or maintaining these LH?

Mine (a tinted one) has been trouble free and easy to keep looking nice. It actually seems pretty resistant to scratching.....I think I weighed the difference at 14lbs......

Mine (a tinted one) has been trouble free and easy to keep looking nice. It actually seems pretty resistant to scratching.....I think I weighed the difference at 14lbs......

I've been contemplating one of these but isn't there some sort of frame that the lexan sits in? How do you remove the stock glass from this? Is it reversible?

I've been contemplating one of these but isn't there some sort of frame that the lexan sits in? How do you remove the stock glass from this? Is it reversible?

It uses the OEM frame which can be removed (carefully) with a heat gun and knife, then bonded using (Ithink) a 3M product. I had SOS do it. The process can be reversed if need be. Chris at SOS is great!

This weekend I took off my front calipers to repaint them.
Having removed them I put them on the scale as well, just for the record.

OEM Caliper weight including pistons but without pads = 8.5 lbs or 3.85 kg.

Now I wonder what the weight is of those big aluminum calipers that you see in those Stoptech, Brembo etc. kits.

Now I wonder what the weight is of those big aluminum calipers that you see in those Stoptech, Brembo etc. kits.

Wow weight savings there would be nice!

Attached is a list of reductions for those that want ideas. There are NO guesses here. A few of the early large items WERE done on a bathroom scale though. I still have full interior, audio, and ac. We can't attach xls files?. Enjoy

3010 POUNDS
ITEM SAVINGS(lb's)
SPARE TIRE 31
JACK 4
TIRE COMPRESSOR 3.25
R STEERING WHEEL CONVERSION 9
CF REAR BUMPER BEAM REPLACEMENT 17.8
FRONT BUMPER BEAM SLELETONIZATION 2
CRUISE CONTROL REMOVAL 3.8
CRUISE ECU 0.7
TCS REMOVAL 3.2
SRS REMOVAL 5.25
FRONT LICENSE PLATE FRAME REMOVAL 0.7
WINDSHIELD WASHER TANK REMOVAL 1.4
WINDSHIELD WIPER ASSEMBLY 15.3
TIRE CRADLE 2.5
ODESSY 925 BATTERY 7.1
FABRICATED BATTERY MOUNT REPLACEMENT 1
HEADER REPLACEMENT (COMPTECH) 10
CAT REMOVAL 17
EXHAUST REPLACEMENT (HKS) 15
R PARTITION WINDOW 4.2
ENGINE COMPARTMENT FAN REMOVAL 2.4
TCS STEP MOTOR REMOVAL 1.25
ENGINE/TRANNY REMOVAL BRACKETS 0.72
FIREWALL SOUND INSULATION 10.25
CF SIDE VENT REPLACEMENT 4.2
HEADLIGHT SLELET0NIZATION 2.3
ABS(LATE MODEL)CONVERSION 14.5
ABS LIGHTWEIGHT BRACKET 2
ECU BRACKET(UNDER GLOVE BOX)SKELETONIZATION 1.6
POWER ANTENNA REMOVAL 2.1
FIREWALL COVER PANEL REPLACEMENT 0.5
CF ENGINE COVER REPLACEMENT 7
COMPTECH CF INTAKE SNOUT 1
BRAKE SPLASH SHIELDS 3.2
SPLASH DEFLECTORS(FRONT LOWER A-ARMS) 0.5
CARPET MATS(MAY BE BOGUS) 6.1
TOE-LINKS ADD 0.7
MISC WIRING 0.7
ENGINE HATCH AJAR SWITCH REMOVAL 0.5
HOOD AJAR SWITCH REMOVAL & LATCH MODS 0.3
CIGARETTE LIGHTER REMOVAL 0.25
CD TO IPOD CONVERSION 9.6
TOTAL

CURRENT CALCULATED WEIGHT 2785.5

Got you all beat..can't be more than a few hundred pounds :smile:
Doors and fenders are getting tanked.
Next all the glass.....gets OUT :wink:

DSCN6546.jpg

DSCN6557.jpg

DSCN6552.jpg

Got you all beat..can't be more than a few hundred pounds :smile:
Doors and fenders are getting tanked.
Next all the glass.....gets OUT :wink:

Wow, that looks fast.

You know Jeff, that's a lot of work. If you just would have parked it in Oakland, you could have probably picked it back up from evidence already done in a couple of weeks. They probably would have taken care of the glass for you had you left a note. :smile:

John, I know you will appreciate the 30 feet of coolant lines going to the heater :eek:
I would like a defroster but we'll see what makes it back in the car.

John, I know you will appreciate the 30 feet of coolant lines going to the heater :eek:
I would like a defroster but we'll see what makes it back in the car.

Jeff, I wouldn't suggest that.

Per the vegas theorm, by adding these components back in your are increasing the probability that something might break.

Why do you think LMP Prototypes don't have defrosters? :confused:

The engineers couldn't get them to be reliable.

Are you sure about the weight of the front caliper. I thought it was much more like 8.5 kg (not lbs) each as I recall.

Jeff, I wouldn't suggest that.

Per the vegas theorm, by adding these components back in your are increasing the probability that something might break.

Why do you think LMP Prototypes don't have defrosters? :confused:

The engineers couldn't get them to be reliable.

I know it's just going to be cold. Now I'm looking at the side windows how to make lexan run in the stock tracks with no power? I was thinking of using 1" wide nylon W/ a snap like the old RS windows and door pulls but I can't see how to seal the side windows without a track above the door?

Just might run nets and something to keep the rain out for transport.

Speaking of 8 1/2 pounds. I was in Jegs and saw that they had an aftermarket starter for Hondas that weighed 8 1/2#. Anyone know if thats a savings for us or not? While I'm in this thread, I just saved over 9 pounds doing the CD to Ipod conversion. Search on GROM.

Here is my contribution...

These days (and it will go on during this summer), I am converting my NSX to a track only car. I lightened it a lot. But I still have some items to take out of it (a/c compressor, heater and a/c hoses, rear bumper beam, some wires...).

nsx_allegement_03.JPG

nsx_allegement_04.JPG

nsx_allegement_07.JPG

Last week-end, I went through the realisation of polycarbonate side windows as I could get Makrolon at my work. I juste finished the driver one. I think the result is ok as it is the first I make. But as I went through some problems, the passenger one will be a better success. As soon as I have time, I will make a new driver one as the result is not totally satisfying. The main problem is that I heated the plastic a little bit to much at one place in the front and it expanded. There is now a bump wich I cannot get rid of.

nsx_allegement_09.JPG

nsx_allegement_13.JPG

nsx_allegement_12.JPG

The transformation is going on and I hope to have the buget to put a rollcage nest year ;-)

Fixed window??? I'd rather have nothing!

x2

maybe a slit in the window that can open like some race cars have,

or just make some window visors so help insure no /minimal rain and air come in while driving, then you just have to cover it for transport,

is that the 2500 pound nsx and now your taking more out? was the 2500 with the heater and all that junk? crazy:smile:

Back