• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Vancehu said:
This is what I came up with. Pertty sure there are errors, but close enough.

13449Weight_Reduction_chart.jpg

Did you not replace your cats with something? :wink:

Anyone have info on the weight savings going to a lexan hatch

John McCain Racing said:
Did you not replace your cats with something? :wink:
No, I used plastic tubing to fill the gap!!!!:biggrin:

Two ultra thin test pipes, probably add 2 to 3 lbs.

2slow2speed said:
Same thing with the side scoops if you can find a reasonable cheap set, the OEM ones are boat anchors too.

You should mention that when you ask me if I would take your CF scoops... Darn it...... :tongue:

ummm, guessed I will try removing the engine cover next year.

scorp965 said:
I found a lightweight battery to be a hassle, it required two jumps in the 2.5 months I used my PC680, and I was always worried about it... this said, if you use a battery tender, it does save significant weight - I believe the total is in the order of approx 25lbs, after factoring in the install of a battery box. This is also somewhat of a downfall, I discovered, as it made the front end of my car seem a bit 'floaty' - I am sure this could be dialed away with coilovers, but the handling was negatively affected, despite the weight reduction, on my car (bilsteins/eibachs).

The feeling you are describing will be present and noticeable if you don't balance the weight reduction between the front end of the car and the rear of the car. A combination of removing the spare tire/bracket and swapping the battery will probably be in the order of 55lbs of weight savings or so.

The weight distribution of the NSX is 40/60 and you want to keep it as close to that as possible when you do the weight reduction. Corner weighing your car as you go along will tell you if you are accomplishing that or not.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in your particular combo of Bilstein's and Eibach's the springs are probably progressive springs (considering that it's very unlikely that you have a race grade Bilstein/Eibach suspension on your NSX, they are usually not streetable because of the harshness) vs something like the NSX-R suspension where linear rate springs are used.

Initial rates on progressive springs is small (IE soft) so the floaty feeling will become pronounced if the spring is not loaded with the expected weight thus resulting in more initial travel of the suspension. Oops the actual spring rates will also be a factor too..

So the benefits of weight reduction in regards to handling may vary depending on the type of suspension that you have on the NSX too, something to keep in mind if you care about other things besides raw acceleration number improvement due to weight reduction :cool:

Last edited:
2slow2speed said:
Same thing with the side scoops if you can find a reasonable cheap set, the OEM ones are boat anchors too.

they are?

how much do they weigh? i would have guessed there really wasn't much to them!

NSXDreamer2 said:
You should mention that when you ask me if I would take your CF scoops... Darn it...... :tongue:

ummm, guessed I will try removing the engine cover next year.

LOL.. Ferrand, you can always ask for them as a Bday present from the Boss :D, and from what I recall I did give you first dibs on the CF side scoops ;)

OneRedNSX said:
they are?

how much do they weigh? i would have guessed there really wasn't much to them!

Hmm.. I never actually got around to putting them on a scale, but they were heavier than expected, I was surprised too when I took them off the car.

Probably between 5lbs~7lbs each, it's one big chunk of cast aluminum per sidescoop.

downforce or gruppe m makes a lighter side vent. But the side vents are pretty heavy.

nsxhk said:
Really? How much do they weight?
Henry.

The OEM Side Air Intakes are 4.96 lbs for both (or 2.3 kg)
The carbonglass stuff from Dali weighs only 1.0 lbs for both (or 0.46 Kg). Those from SoS will be about the same I guess.

The B-Pillars are 4.50 lbs for both (or 2.0 kg).
The stuff from Dali is also around 1 lbs for both but I have never seen them so I have not verified their weight.

I try to weigh as much parts as I can but sometimes you don't always have a scale at hand.

MvM said:
The B-Pillars are 4.50 lbs for both (or 2.0 kg).
The stuff from Dali is also around 1 lbs for both but I have never seen them so I have not verified their weight.

For your list: The B-pillars are 1 lbs both. I've bought them from DALI.

nsxhk said:
Ah.... thnx for the info. They're not that bad then ;)

Henry.

They're very light but I haven't mounted them yet. Weight is only one dimension.

Hey Vance,

What do you do about the O2 sensor issue after removing the CAT?

John McCain Racing said:
On Comptech Test Pipes the O2's plug right in... :smile:

But my is 04, and as far as I know thru Prime, there is still no solution for the 02+ year car to fool the o2 sensor issue. I wanted to go CAT less for a while now, still no solutions, any suggestions?

nsxsupra said:
The weight info I still need for parts is:
OEM flip up headlights, cover, motor
OEM fixed headlights
I'm not sure if you ever had a chance to weigh these, but according to the February 2002 issue of EVO, the 2002 headlight system weighs 10.4 kg (~23 lbs) less than the pop-ups.

BTW: Great job on the diet and beautiful work on the conversion!

Back