• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Last edited:
Has anyone has been looking into this upgrade?
*Over RacingBrake two piece rotors, about 60-70% over stock 1pc rotors.

Front two piece:
http://www.racingbrake.com/NSX-FRONT-97-05-p/2006.htm
Rear two piece:
http://www.racingbrake.com/NSX-REAR-97-05-p/2007.htm

I have had a set of your enlarged brake rotors on my car for several years now. Am on my second set of front rotors, rears (330x23mm) are still ok. The fronts are almost at the end of their life.

Am also still thinking about upgrading the NSX OEM front brake calipers with a set of your lightweight calipers. However, I've read some reports about your calipers leaking brake fluid at the cross over tubes which makes me a bit nervous.

A few years back some incidents were reported from BMW 135 owners during sever winter morning when the car is parked in the garage, we have since chrome plated the piston and never had that issue again.

Today we offer the most comprehensive OE caliper rebuild/upgrade components, and RB is the most trusted source for heavily tracked communities such as EVO, Corvette, Porsche and Camaro.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Caliper-Rebuild-Service-s/6997.htm

Customer's comment about our parts and service.
http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/966022-racing-brake-great-service.html

We used Corvette ZR1 CCM discs for most of our CCB development, which is 394x36 front and 390x32 or 380x34 rear. We can supply rotors from Surface Transforms in UK also but we choose them because:

1. They are easily available - We deal with GM local dealer and the rotor can be have next day instead of waiting for months.
2. Affordable pricing (1/3 of Ferrari or Porsche dealer cost) and fraction of ST price.
3. Durability - Proven in Corvette (C6 & C7) and Viper ACR on tracks with excellent durability.

To answer your question, the rotor size will be 380mm at minimum which requires 19" wheels to install.

If a brake package is developed for stock rotor sizes or even the popular Stoptech or brembo options then I think owners would be more inclined to purchase. The fact that some brakes require 18 wheels up front is enough to deter people let alone 19 inch wheels. You would need to get down to a 330 rotor to fit under 17 inch wheels I believe.

Agree. We have many brake kits to fit 17" wheels (including for NSX), but CCM brake kits are intended for those G1 owners who are looking to upgrade their brakes to the latest technology such as on G2 380mm.

In fact we even have the complete two piece rotors assembly built for Bembo 13" brake kits that were co-developed with Mark from Dali Racing.

Front: P/N 2156 330x28mm
Rear: P/N 2157 330x28mm
In stock.

Replacement rotor rings (Re-use Brembo hats). Price in pair of two brand new discs and new hardware for easy replacement.

If a brake package is developed for stock rotor sizes or even the popular Stoptech or brembo options then I think owners would be more inclined to purchase. The fact that some brakes require 18 wheels up front is enough to deter people let alone 19 inch wheels. You would need to get down to a 330 rotor to fit under 17 inch wheels I believe.

^^^^This x 1000 going 19 is not an option for me and i think for most owners...

Agree. We have many brake kits to fit 17" wheels (including for NSX), but CCM brake kits are intended for those G1 owners who are looking to upgrade their brakes to the latest technology such as on G2 380mm.

In fact we even have the complete two piece rotors assembly built for Bembo 13" brake kits that were co-developed with Mark from Dali Racing.

Front: P/N 2156 330x28mm
Rear: P/N 2157 330x28mm
In stock.

Replacement rotor rings (Re-use Brembo hats). Price in pair of two brand new discs and new hardware for easy replacement.

Going 19 is just too much compromise... bigger wheels + bigger tires = more weight... i think in the end going CCM with 19 F + R would not result in weight savings... it could look good (not sure...???)... but would not perform any better :(

maybe one day we can get CCM brakes with the right dimension (330 mm)... or maybe not...

Last edited:
Due to CCM rotors are light in mass so for the same amount of energy absorption they generate higher temperature than iron couterpart, therefore the CCM rotors (same as the pad) must be larger in volume in order to run them successfully on track w/o overheat issues.

For example when Porsche first introduced PCCB to 996TT it was 350/350mm, then 380/350mm for 997TT and upto now the latest 991 GT3 is 420/390mm.

We gear up to the new tech trend and make them based on what's available, expecting they to perform and last than compromising to the installation constraint, so we believe 380mm is our minimum rotor size for our kit to preserve your investment.

In fact our first 394/390mm RB-CCB kit for Porsche was shipped to a 993TT owner that OE rotors are similar to NSX G1, he had to upsize his wheels to 19".
http://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/924560-394mm-390-ccm-brakes.html

This Viper G5 owner spent over $15k not just the CCB brake kit, wheel/tires but also must convert his rear upright in order to install ACR CCB kit.
http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/15131-ACR-CCB-s-on-non-ACR-Gen-V?p=256886&viewfull=1#post256886

Can't this be achieved going thicker? And maybe 340/340...? If the kit is well engineered i think 340 could fit under 17 wheel...

Due to CCM rotors are light in mass so for the same amount of energy absorption they generate higher temperature than iron couterpart, therefore the CCM rotors (same as the pad) must be larger in volume in order to run them successfully on track w/o overheat issues.

For example when Porsche first introduced PCCB to 996TT it was 350/350mm, then 380/350mm for 997TT and upto now the latest 991 GT3 is 420/390mm.

We gear up to the new tech trend and make them based on what's available, expecting they to perform and last than compromising to the installation constraint, so we believe 380mm is our minimum rotor size for our kit to preserve your investment.

In fact our first 394/390mm RB-CCB kit for Porsche was shipped to a 993TT owner that OE rotors are similar to NSX G1, he had to upsize his wheels to 19".
http://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/924560-394mm-390-ccm-brakes.html

This Viper G5 owner spent over $15k not just the CCB brake kit, wheel/tires but also must convert his rear upright in order to install ACR CCB kit.
http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/15131-ACR-CCB-s-on-non-ACR-Gen-V?p=256886&viewfull=1#post256886

Last edited:
Theoretically you could, but pad availability with comparable volume as for larger rotor will be an issue.

I don't know if any CCB rotor mfgr will even consider for such a smaller rotor (as they only go bigger). In fact the G2 CCM's 380mm is considered small comparing to other modern high end sedan like Mercedes S, Bentley Continental, or Audi RS7 which are 420mm CCM rotors.

well... i would love a CCM F+R setup to work with F17/R18 wheels that could shave 50% of the weight when compared to OEM! Problem here is demand... NSX is a very low production car... engineering a full CCM 330 mm BBK setup with the right bias for the Gen1 NSX would cost $$$$$... and how many would you sell? we all know the answer... not enough... too bad... it is hard for us who love this car... but unfortunately it's the truth... :frown:

Unless you can come with a solution for rotors and calipers that would fit many other cars... i know this won't happen...

In fact, even finding a compatible 17/18 full F+R bbk with two piece rotors and aluminium calipers with the right bias and a functional e-brake for the NSX is difficult...

Theoretically you could, but pad availability with comparable volume as for larger rotor will be an issue.

I don't know if any CCB rotor mfgr will even consider for such a smaller rotor (as they only go bigger). In fact the G2 CCM's 380mm is considered small comparing to other modern high end sedan like Mercedes S, Bentley Continental, or Audi RS7 which are 420mm CCM rotors.

Last edited:
yes it may be small compared to those cars but the NSX is a lot lighter then those cars you listed and 90% of them don't have as much power so you're missing the point as to what the majority of owners want. Most of them run a 17/18 setup so if you want them to upgrade to a 2 piece rotor then it needs to fit that size.
I still believe if there was a rotor upgrade and mount for the front and rear at say 330x28mm front and 330x25mm rear then a lot of owners would keep their existing calipers and run larger 2 piece rotors, that way they could always go for different calipers later if wanted

NSX is not new to us, we were the first company introduced stock size light weight two piece rotors to fit OE calipers back in early 2000, and later we added OE caliper BBK (324x28 front; 330x24 rear with longer brackets (still use OE calipers), plus our 4 pot caliper kits for further upgrade. This is what we call the "progressive upgrade".

http://www.racingbrake.com/NSX-FRONT-91-05-Incl-Front-Rear-brake-lines-p/2076-k.htm
http://www.racingbrake.com/NSX-REAR-91-96-p/2077-k.htm

These affordable and durable NSX brake upgrade options were co-developed with Mark of Dali Racing, and set the new standard even today for the most valuable brake upgrade for NSX.

CCM brake options was introduced to G1 owner as another option, I know it's not for everyone but in case someone might be interested.

Also G2 comes with 19" as standard but we are certain some aftermarket 18" sports wheels can fit 380mm brake kit (BMW, GTR community) which we can provide fitment template for you to check.

Last edited:
Bottom line: CCM/CCB in 330x32mm that would fit stoptech, brembo, or a RB caliper would work great with 17/18 wheel setup on an nsx. It is possible without ANY overheat problems for almost every nsx out there that is under 3000lbs including race cars.

Problem: no one makes a 330mm ccm/ccb rotor.
I made custom carbon ceramic rotors for Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, and was going to on my nsx but it's just not possible with 1 exception....Indy/Dallara Full carbon rotors. They make them under 330mm and narrow down to 22-24mm. I have a set if anyone wants to play with them, I'll sell them cheap say. They are really expensive and only available sporadically online used.

FYI: i use a stoptech 330mm front setup and rob 330mm rear on oem caliper. 2 piece rotors. 17/18 wheel setup.

Find us a 330mm carbon ceramic rotor

NSX is not new to us, we were the first company introduced stock size light weight two piece rotors to fit OE calipers back in early 2000, and later we added OE caliper BBK (324x28 front; 330x24 rear with longer brackets (still use OE calipers), plus our 4 pot caliper kits for further upgrade. This is what we call the "progressive upgrade".

http://www.racingbrake.com/NSX-FRONT-91-05-Incl-Front-Rear-brake-lines-p/2076-k.htm
http://www.racingbrake.com/NSX-REAR-91-96-p/2077-k.htm

These affordable and durable NSX brake upgrade options were co-developed with Mark of Dali Racing, and set the new standard even today for the most valuable brake upgrade for NSX.

CCM brake options was introduced to G1 owner as another option, I know it's not for everyone but in case someone might be interested.

Also G2 comes with 19' as standard but we are certain some aftermarket 18" sports wheels can fit 380mm brake kit (BMW, GTR community) which we can provide fitment template for you to check.
I knew you had a kit but I had some concerns with it after reading this thread have you changed anything since this was published here http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/89429-DIY-Upgrading-NSX-brakes-to-Racing-Brake-kits

Estimated CCM rotor (384x34mm) weight 11 lbs

80-rotor_f1d27aada32c65f24d85ddf47dfcac509605f438.png

Complete brake kit assembly with RB 6 piston track duty caliper

80-brake_kit_6pot_caliper__8a3150cbdaea4d83490199e96611268ce5b9c734.png

Animated Brake Kit Assembly

RacingBrake 6 piston 380x34mm CCM brake kit design for Gen1 NSX front is up.

Last edited:
I knew you had a kit but I had some concerns with it after reading this thread have you changed anything since this was published here http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/89429-DIY-Upgrading-NSX-brakes-to-Racing-Brake-kits

I am sure it should have been taken care of, over the years we have fine tuned our casting metallurgy and design details. Hundreds of NSX owners have been running these kits for more than 10 years now and hardly anyone is buying replacement rings, so either they don't race hard enough or our rotors are too durable haha!

Along with this CCM brake introduction as we though some of you may want to upgrade to the similar set up as G2. Meantime we are revamping our complete brake offer for NSX G1, so please feel free to let us know what you like to have that we don't offer.

Thank you.

I am sure it should have been taken care of, over the years we have fine tuned our casting metallurgy and design details. Hundreds of NSX owners have been running these kits for more than 10 years now and hardly anyone is buying replacement rings, so either they don't race hard enough or our rotors are too durable haha!

Along with this CCM brake introduction as we though some of you may want to upgrade to the similar set up as G2. Meantime we are revamping our complete brake offer for NSX G1, so please feel free to let us know what you like to have that we don't offer.

Thank you.

Let's not turn this thread into a brake thread discussion since it's an overall weight reduction one. We expressed what some of the options were and drawbacks of systems and also commented on what some of the owners are looking for.

Let's not turn this thread into a brake thread discussion since it's an overall weight reduction one. We expressed what some of the options were and drawbacks of systems and also commented on what some of the owners are looking for.
I agree they should be lighter though since two piece,I bumped the other thread to take it there

Im adapting small carbon ceramic brakes (around stock size), a lot custom work, hats, handbrake calipers and specially with caliper brackets for his small diameter (small space for brackets), they are almost finished but dont test yet, i will post pics in the future if all work fine.
They are called "freno carbon" if you want look pics, i dont post links because is my first post in the forum and pics come from commercials, probably dont allowed.
Price and weight saves are very nice, rotors weight around 4lbs and calipers around 3,7lbs.

Another option i checked before with good price and big saves was about "Devil brakes", they are titanium with ceramic coat, but probably is better option specific brakes for NSX like Racingbrake offer.
Sorry for my bad english, write from Spain.

Last edited:
Back