• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

awsomr1 said:
But my is 04, and as far as I know thru Prime, there is still no solution for the 02+ year car to fool the o2 sensor issue. I wanted to go CAT less for a while now, still no solutions, any suggestions?

It is easy, all you have to do is stack two "Spark Plug Faullers," the buns and stick the sensor into it, the out side one needs to be drilled out so the sensors can fit. It will fool the ECU.

Micro update.

The oem licence plate frame weights 10oz or .625lb, confirmed with electronic scale. The Carbon fiber frame weight 2oz.

By going with no licence plate frame, you save .625lb, by going with carbon fiber frame like this one, you save .5lb or 8oz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Power weight ratio of other cars (curb weight/flywheel hp):

S2000 (AP1) 2810lbs/240hp=11.70
S2000 (AP2) 2835lbs/240hp=11.81
NSX-R 2810lbs/300hp~310hp=9.3~9.06
Ferrari F430 3190lbs/490hp=6.51
Ferrari F360 3064lbs/395hp=7.75
997S 3131lbs/355hp=8.81
997 GT3 3075lbs/415hp=7.40
996 GT3 (2004) 3043lbs/380hp=8.0
996 Turbo 3480lbs/415hp=8.38
997 Turbo 3494lbs/480hp=7.27
C6 Corvette 3240lbs/400hp=8.1
C6 Z06 3130lbs/505hp=6.19
E55 (2003) 3857lbs/469hp=8.22
SL55 (2003) 4235lbs/493hp=8.59

Last edited:
I need to remove my windshield wiper fluid tank as well. Removing the front bumper should be fun........... :smile:

This is my first post on this thread but here's my list of stuff that i've completely removed so far, followed by a list of lighter stuff i've replaced oem stuff with, followed by a list of heavier stuff that i've replaced oem parts with:

Completely Removed
-windshield wipers
-windshield wiper motor
-spare tire
-spare tire bracket
-oem stereo headunit
-door speakers
-passenger footwell sub
-center speaker
-sound deadning padding behind the firewall panels (this stuff is heavy!)
-oem tool kit
-trunk carpet
-oem antenna
-oem cd changer
-fan on the passenger side of engine compartment
-oem rear bumper beam (this thing is HEAVY!!!!!!!)

Replaced Parts (Lighter)
-oem center console replaced with a thin (very very light) carbon fiber one
-oem cats replaced with Dali test pipes
-oem headers replaced with DC Sports headers
-oem exhaust replaced with Taitec JGTC Parallel
-oem spoiler replaced with Downforce NSX-R spoiler
-oem aluminum b pillars replaced with I's impact carbon fiber b pillars
-oem engine cover replaced with Cantrell Concepts carbon fiber engine cover
-oem airbox replaced with RM Racing carbon fiber intake
-oem shift boot replaced with NSX-R carbon fiber/mesh shift boot
-oem leather shift knob replaced with oem carbon fiber shift knob

As soon as Downforce gets up and running again, parts already ordered
-oem side air vents replaced with Downforce carbon fiber side vents
-oem cowl trim replaced with Downforce carbon fiber cowl trim
-oem garnish pads replaced with Downforce carbon fiber garnish pads

Replaced Parts (Heavier)
-oem rims replaced with 17 X 8.5 (front) and 18 X 10 (rear) HRE 545 rims
-oem tires replaced with 225/45/17 (front) and 275/35/18 (rear) F1GSD3's
-oem rear diffuser replaced with Taitec (Downforce) rear diffuser

I have no idea what all of this stuff adds up to, but a rough estimate is around 200lb's. Then add 50lb's for the rims, damnit! If I remove a few more things that should bring me down to 2800lbs, even with the heavy rims. Oh, I never ride with more that 1/3 of a tank of gas....... so that cuts som weight as well. The rims are what's really killing me. It might be time to buy some oem 91-93 15/16 and paint them black. Or maybe some NA1 R wheels as Vance suggested.......

Stuff that i'm going to do in the very near future in the order they will be done:

-remove sound deadning under the floor carpet
-remove oem windshield wiper fluid tank
-coilovers
-new steering wheel w/quick release hub
-light weight seats
-02' coversion or fixed headlights
-new rims/tires
-new lightweight clutch
-ligthweight flywheel

So with all of this stuff i'm guessing i'll be under 2600lb's for sure. Even the stuff that i'm going to do in the near future cuts off about an additional 200lb's or more. Not bad for a car that retains all of it's power features and AC/heat.

Or maybe some NA1 R wheels as Vance suggested.......
Simo

I admire your effort. There is a set of NA1 NSX-R wheel available locally right now for a good price.

2600lbs combined with I/H/E should bring the power/weight ratio down to approximately 8.3 :eek:, even at 2800lbs it is very good at 9.03.

Jason,

I don't like the way this is going, lol :smile: I don't think there is any turning back from here..... Seriously, I think i'm going to turn my car into a track car. Once you take the stereo system out it's a whole new perspective. What's amazing is the effect that weight reduction has on a cars performance. I never realized that some of the cars you listed above were so heavy. 996/997turbos at almost 3500lb's, wow........

I removed my Antenna motor... I wonder how much it weighs, I'll weigh it tomorrow.

Hi There,

Have you weighted your antenna motor already. Also, would like to know what did you use to plug the hole in the fender with ??
I'm thinking about the same thing.

Any weight you remove from behind the rear wheels must have a postive influence on the balance of the NSX I think.

Hi There,

Have you weighted your antenna motor already. Also, would like to know what did you use to plug the hole in the fender with ??
I'm thinking about the same thing.

Any weight you remove from behind the rear wheels must have a postive influence on the balance of the NSX I think.

You can go to any hardware store and find a black plug/cap. I believe the diameter is 7/8th inch.

You're running around without any rear bumper beam??? :eek:

Henry.

Yup, no bumper beam. I figure if somebody else rear ends me it's their fault, and if I back into something (which I won't) then it's my fault and i'll go ahead and buy the GT One rear bumper :biggrin:

But what about insurance you may ask........? Well, I figure that if somebody hits me at under 5-10mph then the car should be repairable. Anything more than that and the car is finished anyways......

There are a lot of cars outside of the U.S. that don't have 5mph bumpers. For instance, one of my friends once had a euro e28 M5, which didn't have the huge bumpers that their U.S. counterparts had. Look at the euro 993 and 996 porsches, they don't have those ugly bumper guards sticking out of the rear bumper......

I've been told.. by a fellow knowledgable Prime member.. that the bumper beams add minimal value as far as safety. They are made to minimize the damage on a car at ~5MPH and were required as a result of insurance companies lobbying.

The frame rails is what protects the car in a bad accident.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be too concerned about them - if you crash at 120MPH, God be with you/us, the car and/or you are done anyway :)

This is what I came up with. Pertty sure there are errors, but close enough.

13449Weight_Reduction_chart.jpg

Hey Vance is that 35lbs per OEM header or total?

Thanks!

Hey Vance is that 35lbs per OEM header or total?

Thanks!
Been a while... I believe it's both, and the replacement is about 19 lbs. so I saved 6 lbs.

I've been told.. by a fellow knowledgable Prime member.. that the bumper beams add minimal value as far as safety. They are made to minimize the damage on a car at ~5MPH and were required as a result of insurance companies lobbying.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be too concerned about them - if you crash at 120MPH, God be with you/us, the car and/or you are done anyway :)

Which one is the frame rail? You sure about this?

Attachments

• oemrearbumper.gif
    oemrearbumper.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,021
Last edited:

Pleas be advised that your knowledgeable Prime member is not correct.

The foam energy absorber NOT the rear bumper reinforcement is the part of the crash protection system that provides the protection against structural damage at impacts under 5mph.
Consumer advocates and insurance companies deserve credit for making this a issue.
Pease note that the absorber while protecting the structure from structural damage at low impact speeds it does not save the bumper cover itself from being damaged.

Frame rails?
There are no frame rails on a NSX. There is no conventional frame at all.
There are side members and they are secondary, not primary in the crash/energy protection chain.

IMO, the trade off of weight savings vs. saftey is not worth it. Bad idea.

Uh yeah, you want to either keep those beams or replace them with a fitted aluminium beam. It's been done before.

MvM said:
Also, would like to know what did you use to plug the hole in the fender with ?? I'm thinking about the same thing.

I used a trunk plug from a 90's Accord. Fit perfectly and is low profile.

4055DF-R_Spoiler5.jpg

Hi Guys...
i'm Excelizing all this data :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

MvM, you give both kg and lbs values???....which ones the original (i assume the other results from unit conversion)

As as side note, I have heavily crashed my car on track after a spin and hit the tire-stacks at an estimated 75 Mph backwards.
The accident pushed my trunk inwards and folded the rear part of my trunk bottom, smashed my taillights and so on.
As a results, during the repair, my trunk rear and trunk bottom were replaced with all factory new parts my a (very) professional shop using the original Honda repair manuals up to the number of welding spots. As a result, the car looks like new again.
However, when putting the car back together if have used THE ORIGINAL STEEL BUMPER BEAM.
The beam was slightly bent but with a lot of handwork, could be hammered back into shape. Let me tell you this, this is one very strong beam. I had to replace the bumper mounting brackets but the beam itself is ok again.

I sure would not like the idea of having a rear impact again without the bumper beam. Without it, the rear of your car consists of nothing but two pressed sheet aluminum parts (the bottom and the vertical rear) which are both welded onto the rear chassis bars which, at the back, are U-shaped.

On a side note, the rear (steel) bumper beam weighs 16.22 Lbs (7.1 Kg).

Hi Guys...
i'm Excelizing all this data :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

MvM, you give both kg and lbs values???....which ones the original (i assume the other results from unit conversion)

Hi there,

As I live in Europe, all my measurements are made in Kg values. For weights lower than 2 Kg I use a small scale which is accurate up to 2 grams, for stuff that's more than 2 Kg I use a personal scale claimed to be accurate up to 100 grams.

For what it's worth, I have allready put all this stuff in an Excel sheet in which you can add or remove stuff.

Thanks dude.... i'm trying to do it so it would be easy to compare OEM vs non-OEM...

i've splitted the parts in 4 areas:

- Mechanics (headers, exhaust, brakes, superchargers, etc)
- Rims
- OEM vs CF & FRP
- Miscellanious (spare tire, toolkit, fog lights, battery, etc)

Tomorrow night i'll search prime, like there is no tomorrow, for more weight related info. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm close to do 02+ conversion ...and obviously, i'll weight every part in and out of the car....

Thanks dude.... i'm trying to do it so it would be easy to compare OEM vs non-OEM...

i've splitted the parts in 4 areas:

- Mechanics (headers, exhaust, brakes, superchargers, etc)
- Rims
- OEM vs CF & FRP
- Miscellanious (spare tire, toolkit, fog lights, battery, etc)

Tomorrow night i'll search prime, like there is no tomorrow, for more weight related info. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I'm close to do 02+ conversion ...and obviously, i'll weight every part in and out of the car....

No problem, I have made a similar split.
If you will private me your email-address, I can send the sheet that I use myself. In the sheet you can select 'Add' or 'Remove' for every item in it and it will adjust the total weight of the car.
I started of course before I modified anything. Weight of the car with a full tank was at that time 1400 Kg.

I'm also very interested in the 02-conversion. Keep me updated on the weight savings and which parts you use.

Umm......... Not so sure about that...... Jason and I had the beam out of my 93 in our hands today and it was more like 3X the amount you stated above. It's very very very heavy.........

Well, the weight is 16.22 lbs (which is, by the way, 7.4 kg not 7.1, I made a typo there).
The two mounting brackets for the rear bumper together weigh 3.40 lbs (1.28lbs left and 2.12 lbs for the right one). That is 1.5 Kg.

Total rear bumper including the 2002 lower valence on my car weighs 42.3 lbs (19.2 kg). Which means the bumper beam+brackets is about half the weight of the total rear bumper.

Wiper motor delete:

I did this today with help from Simo. I am so happy, look at this thing. The weight of this is all on driver side too.

It comes off easy, goes back easy and weight a good amount. I also drained washer reservoir fluid. I don't drive in the rain ever, so I don't need it at all. Rain X will do if I do get caught in rain.
11309wipermotor.jpg

I used a trunk plug from a 90's Accord. Fit perfectly and is low profile.
Shawn,
Nice, I like your style. Do you by any chance have any other additional tips. I am running out of ideas.

I can still do PC545 battery, Project Mu rotors, lightweight flywheel. I already rule out the seats, catalystic converter, interior for various personal reasons. What else can I do with no major trade offs ?

Last edited:
Damn Jason... the wiper arms? man you are hardcore...

Back