• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

I already ate both bags of Super Bowl chips. Looks like I need to remove the spare tire bracket now.
My spare is out because the sidewalls are cracked, so it might not hold air anyways.

Wiper motor delete:

I did this today with help from Simo. I am so happy, look at this thing. The weight of this is all on driver side too.

It comes off easy, goes back easy and weight a good amount. I also drained washer reservoir fluid. I don't drive in the rain ever, so I don't need it at all. Rain X will do if I do get caught in rain.

I eventually did away with mine as well. Not only is it heavy but it sits very high up on the car. My plan is to eventually TIG in some mounts and mount an aftermarket race wiper system- they weigh in as little as 2lbs plus the blade. Unfortunately we don't get the luxury to forget... here it rains, a lot!

Well, the weight is 16.22 lbs (which is, by the way, 7.4 kg not 7.1, I made a typo there).
The two mounting brackets for the rear bumper together weigh 3.40 lbs (1.28lbs left and 2.12 lbs for the right one). That is 1.5 Kg.

Total rear bumper including the 2002 lower valence on my car weighs 42.3 lbs (19.2 kg). Which means the bumper beam+brackets is about half the weight of the total rear bumper.

I think the 2002 is using an aluminum bumper if i'm not mistaken? All I know is that the rear bumper beam the came out of my car is closer to 45-50 pounds.

Pleas be advised that your knowledgeable Prime member is not correct.

The foam energy absorber NOT the rear bumper reinforcement is the part of the crash protection system that provides the protection against structural damage at impacts under 5mph.
Consumer advocates and insurance companies deserve credit for making this a issue.
Pease note that the absorber while protecting the structure from structural damage at low impact speeds it does not save the bumper cover itself from being damaged.

Frame rails?
There are no frame rails on a NSX. There is no conventional frame at all.
There are side members and they are secondary, not primary in the crash/energy protection chain.

IMO, the trade off of weight savings vs. saftey is not worth it. Bad idea.

That sounds reasonable :cool: However, I'd be curiouis to know what the real safety value is @ 5MPH, 25 MPH, 45 MPH, 60 etc...

Shawn,
Nice, I like your style. Do you by any chance have any other additional tips. I am running out of ideas.

I can still do PC545 battery, Project Mu rotors, lightweight flywheel. I already rule out the seats, catalystic converter, interior for various personal reasons. What else can I do with no major trade offs ?

Thanks! Have much affection for your NSX as well.

The PC545 battery will help but mine doesn't hold a charge worth a dang. Have you thought about:

- lexan hatch (will lower your CG too)
- lexan divider window (see above)
- Tilton carbon clutch (don't get it from Dali, I'm still waiting for all of my money back, 3 years later)

Besides that, think you can get Downforce to produce stock CF fenders and something like this:

4055nsx21-thumb.jpg

just cause im paranoid

I took out my spare and the rear spare kit and put in a Zanardi battery (saving 6lbs)
about to put on Zanardi wheels

is the balance or the car fine will it be lopsided in any way?
and with the ride height?

in the near future I plan on a Taitec JGTC parrel exhaust and Type R supension and brakes. Will any on these jepordise the balance or handling if I do a simple remove and replace?....with the above formentioned already to be done.

Umm......... Not so sure about that...... Jason and I had the beam out of my 93 in our hands today and it was more like 3X the amount you stated above. It's very very very heavy.........

I weighed my alloy bumper beam & was 16.5 pounds. surely the steel one could not be lighter!

I thought they changed this to alloy to reduce weight in the targa models?

Can anyone confirm the steel bumper beam weight?

I weighed my alloy bumper beam & was 16.5 pounds. surely the steel one could not be lighter!
I thought they changed this to alloy to reduce weight in the targa models?
Can anyone confirm the steel bumper beam weight?

I can only speak of the steel bumper beam in MY car. Which is, as quoted before, 16.22 lbs (7.4 kg). The two mounting brackets for the rear bumper together weigh 3.40 lbs (1.28lbs left and 2.12 lbs for the right one). That is 1.5 Kg. Total rear bumper including the 2002 lower valence weighs 42.3 lbs (19.2 kg).

I'm note entirely sure about your statement that the alloy bumper beam should be lighter. I can personally testify to the strength of that steel bumper in a crash and would suggest that the material used in an alloy beam would have to be significantly thicker to acquire the same strength.
The bottom of my trunk was pushed inwards several inches, folding up the bottom of my trunk like a piece of paper. Both the trunk bottom and trunk rear had to be replace. But I could still reuse the bumper beam.

upgrade to NA2 brakes. ABS is much smaller. Not sure on exact weight difference. Swap power steering for non.

hummm... is it possible to only upgrade the ABS system to 02+ ??

Not sure on this... good question. I do know that every part of the NA2 system is different save the central brake line that runs along the bottom of the car.

Dumb question, but how is the OEM weight of 31xx (for the late models) calculated? Is it with full fluid, dry or half? It's important that we compare a full apple to a full apple and not 1/2 to full :)

I came in at 3010 on my 97-T w/ 02 conversion with about 2/3 gas tank & other fluids. With a full tank that will bring it about 35 more lbs (7.x lbs * 5) and a dry - ~100. Since then I've removed about 50 lbs and will do another 25 lbs by going to lighter wheels..

My goal is to get to about >2900 (type S territory) and maybe low 2800 (type S Zero) without limiting the resale ability (sp?) of the car and being able to 'put the car back to stock' once/if I sell.

One of the biggest question is the A/C which is a road with a hard return to mount as far as I know (but very heavy..) Thoughts?

-Paul

I came in at 3010 on my 97-T w/ 02 conversion with about 2/3 gas tank & other fluids. With a full tank that will bring it about 35 more lbs (7.x lbs * 5) and a dry - ~100. Since then I've removed about 50 lbs and will do another 25 lbs by going to lighter wheels..

Please forget about your car's weight as long as the tank is not completely full and the guessing how much would have to be filled in and so on.

I measure mine only with all fluids at top level (except washer fluid) but no driver for better comparability. You're right, it doesn't make sense to look at the brochure's value, the actual weight is much more important because we're not driving a car IN the brochure. :D

Please forget about your car's weight as long as the tank is not completely full and the guessing how much would have to be filled in and so on.

I measure mine only with all fluids at top level (except washer fluid) but no driver for better comparability. You're right, it doesn't make sense to look at the brochure's value, the actual weight is much more important because we're not driving a car IN the brochure. :D

So then the stats are with all fluids, correct? I understand that without fluids that you have to estimate and it can be off by a significant amount, but I want to know what the variables are in the baseline to compare it to..

So then the stats are with all fluids, correct? I understand that without fluids that you have to estimate and it can be off by a significant amount, but I want to know what the variables are in the baseline to compare it to..

Yes, WITH the fluids as it doesn't make sense to drive without them and it's their weight you have to accelerate too. :D

Of course the fluids level could be off a little bit like 5.2 instead of 5 liters engine oil but does that matter really? It's more important to me to have an idea of the weight within +-5 kg if I can find a balance that is that exact.

getting down to 2800lb's on a 95+ targa is going to be difficult without removing some luxury items (the little we may have......). You're talking 300lb's there. But it can be done. My 93 is now at an estimated 2750lb's and after I do the seats, battery swap, removal of winshield fluid reservoir, tow hooks, Momo steering wheel, and center divider window, that should bring me down to 2650ish. And then I'm going to do lighter coilovers, and maybe a fixed headlight, which will put me at 2600 even. Eventually i'll do the clutch and flywheel, and some lighter rotors. All in all i'm shooting for 2600lb's in the next month or so. That's with ac/heat, and a full interior inlcuding carpets, floormats, all trim pieces, ect..... No stereo though....

I'm guessing with a complete gutting (all interior trim panels, etc...) one could get down to 2400lb's.... That would be one mean NSX and I might be crazy enough to do it :biggrin:

getting down to 2800lb's on a 95+ targa is going to be difficult without removing some luxury items (the little we may have......). You're talking 300lb's there. But it can be done. My 93 is now at an estimated 2750lb's and after I do the seats, battery swap, removal of winshield fluid reservoir, tow hooks, Momo steering wheel, and center divider window, that should bring me down to 2650ish. And then I'm going to do lighter coilovers, and maybe a fixed headlight, which will put me at 2600 even. Eventually i'll do the clutch and flywheel, and some lighter rotors. All in all i'm shooting for 2600lb's in the next month or so. That's with ac/heat, and a full interior inlcuding carpets, floormats, all trim pieces, ect..... No stereo though....

I'm guessing with a complete gutting (all interior trim panels, etc...) one could get down to 2400lb's.... That would be one mean NSX and I might be crazy enough to do it :biggrin:

2400 LBs? I'd like to see that! John@Microsoft has his car down in the ~2600 lbs range, but he's running out of parts to take out :)
For me, I think 2900 is doable...

Wiper motor delete
Jason, I'm not sure if you already weighed this, but according to my scale, the motor assembly was around 11.7 lbs not including the arms.

I took out my spare and the rear spare kit and put in a Zanardi battery (saving 6lbs)
about to put on Zanardi wheels

is the balance or the car fine will it be lopsided in any way?
I don't think you're removing enough weight to upset the balance.

By the way, I don't think I've ran across individual wheel weights for the Zanardi wheels (Although, we do know stock 94-01 7-spoke wheels are 16.75 lbs front and 20.85 lbs rear and Zanardis are 8.8 lbs less total). So, I weighed the Zanardi wheels and came up with 15.4 lbs front and 17.8 lbs rear, in case anyone is interested.

Pleas be advised that your knowledgeable Prime member is not correct.

He was referring to a discussion we had on the topic per his pursuit of additional weight savings.

The foam energy absorber NOT the rear bumper reinforcement is the part of the crash protection system that provides the protection against structural damage at impacts under 5mph.

Consumer advocates and insurance companies deserve credit for making this a issue.

Pease note that the absorber while protecting the structure from structural damage at low impact speeds it does not save the bumper cover itself from being damaged.

I agree. The insurance lobby has clout, and the premise for the foam/polyurethane shell was understandably to avoid more expensive claims on the common parking lot and stop n' go type minor incidentals. I would speculate the beams are tested right along with the chassis up to 35mph or so per NHTSA's normal sled tests. Regardless.. being that they regularly won't total out until damages are near 70-90% these days... your own results with that protective styrofoam when an inattentive SUV drivers backs into your own NSX may of course differ. Most of the time due to the differences in ride height they won't impact anywhere near it.

Frame rails?

There are no frame rails on a NSX. There is no conventional frame at all.

There are side members and they are secondary, not primary in the crash/energy protection chain.

I disagree. According to the official body technical release by American Honda, the word 'frame rail' is used to describe the front and rear protruding structural elements on the NSX chassis. Thus, I believed my term to be accurate in the context in which it was expressed at the time- which as I recall the exact question posed to me by the member concerned triple digits speeds into the back of another vehicle. :rolleyes:

IMO, the trade off of weight savings vs. safety is not worth it. Bad idea.

Generally race cars don't retain them being free, being on the extreme ends the dead weight acts like a pendulum, and in a safety context they can well turn a light tap into a spin. Once again, members experience with lightening their daily drivers may of course differ.

2400 LBs? I'd like to see that! John@Microsoft has his car down in the ~2600 lbs range, but he's running out of parts to take out :)
For me, I think 2900 is doable...

Oh, I disagree... it takes a long time before you start running out of parts to take out as there is always something to improve on- hell... for awhile there I still had all the high end luxuries like power steering, door glass, a heater core, tunes, stock wiring harnesses, latches... :biggrin:

We'll see, I can't wait to see the scales this season. Just ask Nichole Richie- weight loss is intoxicating. :wink:

I'm guessing with a complete gutting (all interior trim panels, etc...) one could get down to 2400lb's.... That would be one mean NSX and I might be crazy enough to do it

My counter-point here would be to exercise some level of restraint. Even for the club race guys among us, depending on the class/objectives albeit it with SCCA or whomever one is tracking with- it won't always make sense to always go that last extra bit unless you really competitively need and can justify it soundly. No magic to it.. just do know that hitting the 2300-2400 range, GT2 class weight, particularly on the lower end in an NSX... means everything comes out. EVERYTHING.

Another wards- seen Pike Peak's or Rob's ride? To achieve this you WILL be gutting doors out, removing HVAC, most harnesses, and deleting the entire interior.. so forget about it being streetable in any conventional meaning of the word, likely don't plan on going back, and ironically plan on carrying ballast anyway. For street-only applications it is simply silly, for weekend warrior applications I would still recommend that you edge on being conservative on removing those last few amenities. Every last fraction of a second doesn't matter unless you make it... and once you get towards the end of this road the harder the compromises will become for you.

In my experience, for a weekend warrior... 2780-2840 wet, closer to Type R spec... is far more realistic for a 95T while retaining the options mentioned. That was the range I sat in for quite awhile. The conversion is highly viable since the specialty revisions were unavailable in our market for purchase.

Even that will take some genuine work to do a good job. Keep in mind I was very aggressive by most enthusiasts standards to achieve the lower end of that range on a later model targa... Literally hundreds of parts gone or replaced with aftermarket stuff... a lot of labor/fabrication.. and most definitely no AC, no SRS, no washer, no doorlocks, no seat sliders, no targa cover, no side or bumper beams, passable interior, single pane partition, relatively lightweight roll cage, etc... I even had the carpet backing, undercoating, and interior tar mats shaved off.

Last edited:
Jason, I'm not sure if you already weighed this, but according to my scale, the motor assembly was around 11.7 lbs not including the arms.
Thanks Ojas,

Do you know the weight of the washer fluid tank and the amount of fluid it holds. I drained the fluid. Removing the tank seems to require removal of front bumper.

Deleting Windshield Wipers, Motor and Tank=27lbs?

I had the chance to test these seats next to oem seats today. They weight 10lbs per seat + 5lbs for seat rails.

The weight listed for oem seats are 40lbs in the faq. Is this including rails and motor?

Hmm, apart from the possible weight savings of the newer ABS system, is it better in any other way than the original one ??
yes the NA2 system is a lot better. ABS is smarter, brakes rotors stronger

I found yet another thing to take off while re-installing the rest of my rear diffuser. I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it yet so here it goes.
There are 2 rear tow hooks on the frame. You have to go to the side of the rear diffuser and then go under the car. The tow hooks are directly behind the rear wheel and attached to the outside of the frame with 3 15mm bolts. They will be heavily caked with ???? (dirt?) so just wiggle the socket over the bolt head and all the loose stuff will come off. I put the bolts back in after I took the hooks off as I had no idea if they were holding anything behind. The hooks probably weigh the same as the front hooks. Sorry I can't post pictures.

Jason, i'm assuming that as soon as you get a chance to do it you'll post some pics of the hooks and the weight.......

Back