• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Before after weight reduction test:biggrin:
http://www.nerocam.com/SCC_TAP.asp

You have no idea where this is going............ I'm going to try to get to 2600lb's ASAP! I think i'll do the windshield wiper reservoir and the front tow hooks tommorrow, and try to see what else I can take out without compromising the almost full interior I still have. I just ordered the optima 545 battery and the lexan center divider window from Dali. So that's another 30lb's off. I'll be in the 2600's by this weekend :biggrin:

Jason, do you think it's possible to have a 12.00 second NA car? Maybe 2400lb's would do it. That would be pretty hardcore though. I think I can do 2600 and still have all of the interior (minus the stereo), and heat/ac.

Good job Simo,
I am not sure, but at 2400lbs or even 2600lbs, the car will be extremely fast.

The best way to find out is hit the dragstrip. If you ever want to take a day off to do the test, I would love to join. I need someone to hold the camera for me. The dragstrip used in the test above is in Fontanta, CA. LACR is also an option but the the elevation will hurt the time.

Let's do it. I'm going to install my battery tommorrow, and maybe the window if I have time. Never got around to the tow hook and washer tank. I'll try to do all of that tommorrow. There's another 50lb's. I think I may take out the firewall paneling again, along with all the carpets, so I only have aluminum floors. I'm thinking i'll going to go for the 360 Challenge look. Mean exterior (probably 02 conversion with a lot of exposed CF) and a semi-stripped interior, with some nice red kevlar backed recaro's or Erick's seats if he still wants to sell them. I'll just leave the door panels and dash and console. 2600's here we come...... This weekend hopefully

I don't know the exact name I am from switzerland

AC compressor : 7.3kg / 16lbs
AC intercoolers : 7kg / 15.5lbs
AC condenser + pipes : 2.9kg / 6.4lbs
Rear windows(over the engine) : 15.7kg / 34.6lbs
Wheel with airbag : 4.6kg / 10.1lbs
Doors panel : 4kg each / 8.8lbs
Radio antenna : 1kg / 2.2lbs
carpet cockpit + fitted carpet (under the carpet) : 8kg / 17.6lbs

I don't know the exact name I am from switzerland

AC compressor : 7.3kg / 16lbs
AC intercoolers : 7kg / 15.5lbs
AC condenser + pipes : 2.9kg / 6.4lbs
Rear windows(over the engine) : 15.7kg / 34.6lbs
Wheel with airbag : 4.6kg / 10.1lbs
Doors panel : 4kg each / 8.8lbs
Radio antenna : 1kg / 2.2lbs
carpet cockpit + fitted carpet (under the carpet) : 8kg / 17.6lbs

Hi Menfou,

Your names are easy to understand no problem there.
Have one question though:
Is the steering wheel with airbag of 4.6 Kg with the steering hub or is it just the wheel.
I believe that when you remove the OEM wheel you need both an aftermarket steering wheel AND an extra hub to mount it.

Are you guys really down to 2600 lbs!?! Or are you just estimating these figures from combined weight of deleted items? If you are down to 2600 lbs, that's damn near Lotus territory!

Hi Menfou,

Your names are easy to understand no problem there.
Have one question though:
Is the steering wheel with airbag of 4.6 Kg with the steering hub or is it just the wheel.
I believe that when you remove the OEM wheel you need both an aftermarket steering wheel AND an extra hub to mount it.

Yes 4.6kg it's with the steering hub.
I bought a SOS Rapid Steering Wheel Hub for my Momo F1 wheel, but I don't know the weight for moment, maybe today :D

Are you guys really down to 2600 lbs!?! Or are you just estimating these figures from combined weight of deleted items? If you are down to 2600 lbs, that's damn near Lotus territory!

I'm estimating my weight based on the parts i've taken off and the weight that others have posted so far. By the time I do my seats, 02 conversion (maybe) and some other small stuff I'll be close to 2600 or under for sure.....

I'm estimating my weight based on the parts i've taken off and the weight that others have posted so far. By the time I do my seats, 02 conversion (maybe) and some other small stuff I'll be close to 2600 or under for sure.....

enh.. do a weight check first...... guesstimating weight on cars can be like guestimating weight on women.. "How much do you weight?" "Oh, I think I weight about 115 ..." coming from someone that is obviously 140+ :biggrin:

<Hijacking Thread..>
Has anyone seen the Carlos Mencia skit where he plays a Indian clerk and a a big fat woman walks into the quick mart and says:
"mmm.. mmm mm look at that skinny ho, if I had a personal trainer, I'd be that thin.."
Carlos says "If you had a personal trainer, you'd eat him....... I know that they say there is a skinny person inside every fat one, but I think in your case, you have the entire cast of America's Top Model…. If I ever get reincarnated, I hope I get reincarnated as your feet so I never have to see your ugly face!"

<End hijack...>

Last edited:
enh.. do a weight check first...... guesstimating weight on cars can be like guestimating weight on women.. "How much do you weight?" "Oh, I think I weight about 115 ..." coming from someone that is obviously 140+ :biggrin:

I know I know...... However, I'm about 90% sure about my current weight, as I know what i've taken off and approximately how heavy it was. For example, just the spare tire, toolkit, and rear bumper beam is about 100 pounds. Those are all proven weights. I've taken off waaaaaaaaay more stuff than that by now. Most of the things shave off 5-10 pounds, but multiply that by 10-20 for all the stuff that i've replaced/removed and you're down to about where i'm at.

We might have to organize a group weight in down here so we can all see what we're at....... I won't stop until i'm at 2600, and maybe still go further after that :biggrin:

I know I know...... However, I'm about 90% sure about my current weight, as I know what i've taken off and approximately how heavy it was. For example, just the spare tire, toolkit, and rear bumper beam is about 100 pounds. Those are all proven weights. I've taken off waaaaaaaaay more stuff than that by now. Most of the things shave off 5-10 pounds, but multiply that by 10-20 for all the stuff that i've replaced/removed and you're down to about where i'm at.

We might have to organize a group weight in down here so we can all see what we're at....... I won't stop until i'm at 2600, and maybe still go further after that :biggrin:

A weight slips proves it, otherwise, my car dynod at 500 RWHP and did a 9.1 sec qt mile... :)

Seriously though, I believe you. Question: How easy is it to put the A/C back once you've taken it out...?

A weight slips proves it, otherwise, my car dynod at 500 RWHP and did a 9.1 sec qt mile... :)

Seriously though, I believe you. Question: How easy is it to put the A/C back once you've taken it out...?

I haven't gotten to the ac and heat YET. I thought about it, but there were too many damn parts and i'm not that good of a mechanic....... Wasn't going to happen. I'm guessing it's less than 2 hours of labor for someone who knows NSX's. Plus i'm daily driving the car.... although I only use the heat, so maybe it does need to come out......

Here's the list again of what i've taken out/replaced so far, and the estimated weight (i'm intentionally lowballing it):
Completely Removed
-windshield wipers 4
-windshield wiper motor 20
-spare tire 30
-spare tire bracket 2
-oem stereo headunit 5
-door speakers 10
-passenger footwell sub 5
-center speaker 1
-sound deadning padding behind the firewall panels (this stuff is heavy!) 10
-oem tool kit 15
-trunk carpet 10
-oem antenna 2
-oem cd changer 5
-fan on the passenger side of engine compartment 3
-oem rear bumper beam (this thing is HEAVY!!!!!!!) 45
-front and rear tow hooks 5
Replaced Parts (Lighter)
-oem center console replaced with a thin (very very light) carbon fiber one 2
-oem cats replaced with Dali test pipes 15
-oem headers replaced with DC Sports headers 6
-oem exhaust replaced with Taitec JGTC Parallel 14
-oem spoiler replaced with Downforce NSX-R spoiler 7
-oem aluminum b pillars replaced with I's impact carbon fiber b pillars 2
-oem engine cover replaced with Cantrell Concepts CF engine cover 10
-oem airbox replaced with RM Racing carbon fiber intake 2
-oem shift boot replaced with NSX-R carbon fiber/mesh shift boot
-oem leather shift knob replaced with oem carbon fiber shift knob
-oem center divider window replaced with Dali lexan window 8
-oem battery replaced eith Oddsey 545 23
-oem NA1 NSX R rims 10

That all adds up to 271 pounds. Some of the stuff weighs more, some weight less, but everything is pretty damn close. Also i've still got a lot more stuff to do. Light weight coilovers, Momo steering wheel, seats: these three alone will bump me down to 2650. If I do my 02 conversion and do the CF hood and rear decklid I should be down to 2600. That's still with an almost full interior and ac/heat.

John@Microsoft did a lot with his car for it being a targa. Luckily I already have a 100lb+ advantage over a targa so I won't have to remove as much stuff as he did to get to 2600.

Simo,
You might be interested in these posts, ncdogdoc (Gary), is also extremely light:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=217048&postcount=29
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=151915#post151915

Still thinking about heading Fontana Speedway this Saturday, have to leave at 5am, back to back early Saturday morning is hard.:frown:

Getting weight slip is way............... easier than getting the timeslip, almost hassle free in comparision. There are suspension shops in OC that can weight our car.

He didn't weight with a full tank of gas which is what the comparison must be made against (eg 3xxx stock). A gallon of gas weights 7 lbs (?) and there is 15 (more?) gallons of gas, so he would have come much heavier..

John@Microsoft did a lot with his car for it being a targa. Luckily I already have a 100lb+ advantage over a targa so I won't have to remove as much stuff as he did to get to 2600.

I discarded the targa holder, stripped the T-Top to bare bones and of all non-essentials like the liner and trim, discarded some drainage line, and my roll cage which extends to the rear shock towers are in lieu of the targa tri-torsional brace.... so all told this reduction accounts for a healthy percentage of the difference.

Thus, coupe to targa in my case is probably closer to high 60's lbs I would think. Marginal at best. I can post a picture then.

I discarded the targa holder, stripped the T-Top to bare bones and of all non-essentials like the liner and trim, discarded some drainage line, and my roll cage which extends to the rear shock towers are in lieu of the targa tri-torsional brace.... so all told this reduction accounts for a healthy percentage of the difference.

Thus, coupe to targa in my case is probably closer to high 60's lbs I would think. Marginal at best. I can post a picture then.

Damn John, that's hardcore! i might be going the same route as you eventually. Did you do everything yourself? I might be driving up to my family home in Mukilteo this Spring, i'll have to check out your car. Did you do the lexan window by any chance? The service manual always makes it look 20X harder to install than it actually is. I have it sitting here and am too afraid to start.

Damn John, that's hardcore! i might be going the same route as you eventually. Did you do everything yourself? I might be driving up to my family home in Mukilteo this Spring, i'll have to check out your car. Did you do the lexan window by any chance? The service manual always makes it look 20X harder to install than it actually is. I have it sitting here and am too afraid to start.

For those that haven't seen John's car, it is nothing like a stock car. Every, and I mean *EVERY* 'non-essential' items is removed from the car. The only exception is a mp3 player and power door controls.. but that might be changing soon..

2600/2500 is McLaren F1 territorry... Slap on another 300 HP and you have an McLaren:)

Don't worry, we will weight in at full tank:smile: and take pics during weight in and pic of the gas meter. It is very important for us to get accurate readings. I believe the weight in will be higher than our estimate, but should be within +50lbs.

Still deciding if we should hit the California speedway at 6am in the morning this weekend.

Does the factory weight spec. include a full gas of tank? If it does then our cars are even ligher. I NEVER run with more than a 1/3 tank these days......

Jason, do you want to do the track thing in a few weeks? Maybe we can get some more people and more importantly, a bigger variety of NSX's to show up...... That'll give me some time to get this window put in, which i'll probably do this weekend, and take out/replace some other stuff. What do you think?

Damn John, that's hardcore! i might be going the same route as you eventually. Did you do everything yourself? I might be driving up to my family home in Mukilteo this Spring, i'll have to check out your car.

That would be awesome, your welcome to drop in anytime!

Did you do the lexan window by any chance? The service manual always makes it look 20X harder to install than it actually is. I have it sitting here and am too afraid to start.

The factory double pane window has a vacuum feature that really does an awesome job on cutting down on cabin noise, especially considering our engine is two feet from our head.

Single pane is lighter, and also does an acceptable job when sealed in with the factory gasket. Inevitably, I deleted the glass entirely using an auto glass removal blade when I extended the roll cage to the back towers in order to get the bars through.

However, once you take that step, and remove that divider in place of lexan or a composite it gets really loud in the cabin. I can't really emphasize loud enough. I have an extremely high tolerance level, but this is on a fundamentally different plane of loudness. If you have an open race exhaust and no interior it is absolutely unbearable. If you don't seal it up well fumes can also be a genuine safety issue. Personally I wouldn't suggest using window retainer clips alone. Put some added effort into this one.

If you seal in lexan of decent thickness with a good auto glass grade gasket sealer it helps to a good extent, and although rear visibility sucks anyway... lexan still does have the nice feature of being able to see the carnage if a coolant hose pops off or the engine catches fire.

However, I opted for a different approach entirely, more similar to the Enzo's engine bay. I wanted to have a little more sound dampening in the cabin... and a higher level of protection from fire. I'm just not crazy about the lexan.. in a gasoline fire lexan melts instantly... and I would think without a good seal gasoline could spill into the cabin in an accident under the right circumstances.

I used the factory pane as a template, waxed it down, and covered it with a layer of polyester resin. I let it dry then put down a layer of carbon, followed by some fiberglass mat, a layer of dynamat, and finally some aluminized heat shielding material from a race supply outlet. Kind of my own sandwich- it's still lighter than the stock double pane glass and the composite is thermally inert. I also formed it like the stock pane so it has a lip that sits on the edge allowing one to get a double seal.

Still kind of a project in progress... my plan was to seal it in with a good auto glass grade gasket sealer and use some rubber around the bars. Another idea I had was to insert a small box window into my custom piece.

Whatever you opt for... if you don't do something this step just becomes a huge monster hit on street-ability IMO.

Jason, do you want to do the track thing in a few weeks? Maybe we can get some more people and more importantly, a bigger variety of NSX's to show up...... That'll give me some time to get this window put in, which i'll probably do this weekend, and take out/replace some other stuff. What do you think?
Simo, The curb weight includes all the fulid in full level.

Yes, California speedway in a few weeks sounds good, we can make it a group effort, even better if we can rent the track for an entire morning.

It give us a little time to drop more weight and recover from back to back meets in Saturday morning, + it might rain this Saturday. As far as weight in, we can do that at anytime, whenever you are ready.

John, thanks for the tips. I'll go ahead and install this lexan window and use some auto glass sealer. Any auto store should have it, right? Just one more ?, was the window hard to get to remove? I'm planning on following the steps in the service manual. Any more tips so I don't break or scratch anything?

I, like you have a very high tolerance. Before I put on my Taitec JGTC I had a straight pipe (no muffler) exhaust. It was freaking loud and sounded like an F1 car. It was so loud that when i'd hit redline or high rpm's (in 1st and 2nd) people walking on the street would cover their ears. I was fine with it and was actually quite dissapointed when I switched to my Taitec, but it has grown on me since. I don't mind loudness at all. I bought this car because coming from a Jag XK8 and an XJ8 (still own it) I wanted a raw no frills sports car. I've had quite luxury cruisers, i'm too young for that....... Although i'm still kinda missing my XK8 now :frown:

I'll post some pics once I get everything done.

Jason, one of us should start a thread in the Southwest forum and see what the best time is for everyone and when we can have the most NSX's turn out. Also maybe somebody else knows a better location if one exists. As far as the weigh in let me get the window, battery (coming tommorrow) and some other stuff taken out and lets do it. Maybe i'll come down on saturday if the weather is not too bad.

To all that removed your stock Bose system.

You can get rid of:
Power antenna
CD changer/mount
floor sub
center speaker
door speakers

Now in the pursuit of a weekend warrior, I have a light Dali Center in CF and would like to use this space for gauges and such.

If I used an S2K or knockoff antenna and only wanted 2 door speakers say (6" 3-ways) for those long drives.
What would be the lightest door speaker mounts? Now with no Bose I should have lots of room but I don't want the heavy wood replacements I've seen on this site for sale?
And what about a head unit? I see the HotRod guys use a remote head unit or maybe just no antenna with an MP3 hookup/amplifier to drive the 2 speakers?

Maybe an audio guy or somebody has done something similar?

We don't have a lot of room in the car and I HATE A-pillar mounted gauges.

Wow, I changed my battery this weekend to a 12lb oddsey race battery. The car's front end feels so much light and handles so much better. What a great upgrade!!!

Jeff, i'd be interested in knowing which route you choose for your stereo. I too have taken my entire stereo out and am now missing having a radio. I have all my music on an ipod so i'm looking for a setup that can run off of that. Believe it or not those little portable ipod speaker things are not that bad.... Not as good as the factory stereo obviously, and still a bit hard to heard since my car is so damn loud....

Jeff, i'd be interested in knowing which route you choose for your stereo. I too have taken my entire stereo out and am now missing having a radio....

I did the same and have now left it up to the Audiophile's to help out :confused:

But if anyone would know it's the "NSX Electronics (including Stereo, Multimedia, Security, etc.)" Section.

The Thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83371

Back