• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Thanks for the nice write up. I wonder if you could actually use the lighter dynamat afterwards, get it quieter again, and still save weight?

Well if you wanted to quite it down some just put it on the fire wall area if anywhere. I didnt notice a difference after pulling the floor area. But i did notice when i pulled out the plastic covers behind the seats. I am going to make a carbon/kevlar panel to cover that are when im done so im only adding back like 1lb if that. But that will all come after I make the kevlar door panels. I am hoping i win this auction for a Kevlar back spg recaro today then keep looking for a second one and get them custom upholstered. Ill be posting more one the

Well finally got around to making an aluminum front bumper beam and replacing the stock one. The stock one is 17.5 lbs and the beam that went in was 4.2 lbs which is a nice 13.3 lbs weight reduction.

Well finally got around to making an aluminum front bumper beam and replacing the stock one. The stock one is 17.5 lbs and the beam that went in was 4.2 lbs which is a nice 13.3 lbs weight reduction.

4.2? that seems too light for a decent beam. You mean rear?

- - - Updated - - -

They sell fiberglass bumper beams here for front and back. Even more weight savings.

Why would you do that? why not just take it out? because fiberglass provides zero protection.

That sounds about right for the aluminum one. The fiberglass one is only 2lb. Advanced in Nagoya makes a carbon one but its super pricey. I will be making my carbon kevlar door panels soon so ill be posting the progress of those and the fire wall panel to cover the ecu and other electronics behind the seats.

Sure, I bought a rectangular aluminum beam from www.metalsdepot.com

I purchased the 4"x2"x1/8" 6061-T6 beam in the 4' length. I choose the 6061-T6 over the 6063 for the added strength at the same weight. I left it in the garage for about 3 months due to being busy at work and not exactly sure what it would take to build seeing as how there is now write up on it from what I can find. So when I finally decided to take the bumper off the car following the wiki and service manual and then separating the beam from the bumper is when I saw what was needed, which is not much. I cut the beam to the width required to cover the 2 frame rails, drilled the 6 holes to mount the OEM brackets the are used to hook the bumper with bumper beam assembly on to the car. I relocated the horns to behind the beam and attached them to the shroud the goes to the radiator. Then I bolted the whole thing back up and it was done. Took almost 2 hours with a beer break.

Well my aluminum bumper bars are only to keep the fiberglass front bumper in place. The fiberglass ones do the same. I though about trying to make carbon Kevlar ones but it's to much headache.

Sure, I bought a rectangular aluminum beam from www.metalsdepot.com

I purchased the 4"x2"x1/8" 6061-T6 beam in the 4' length. I choose the 6061-T6 over the 6063 for the added strength at the same weight. I left it in the garage for about 3 months due to being busy at work and not exactly sure what it would take to build seeing as how there is now write up on it from what I can find. So when I finally decided to take the bumper off the car following the wiki and service manual and then separating the beam from the bumper is when I saw what was needed, which is not much. I cut the beam to the width required to cover the 2 frame rails, drilled the 6 holes to mount the OEM brackets the are used to hook the bumper with bumper beam assembly on to the car. I relocated the horns to behind the beam and attached them to the shroud the goes to the radiator. Then I bolted the whole thing back up and it was done. Took almost 2 hours with a beer break.

IIRC you lose the ability to put back the windshield washer tank if you use a straight beam. I'm thinking of fabricating a curved aluminum front bumper beam to accommodate the washer tank.

Last edited:
Yep you loose the plastic wash bottle, i purchased a bag with a pump installed and have it zip tied inside the front by the ABS its smaller and lighter and works the same.
I should also note part of the reason for that was i have put on the radiator cover that extends over the top of the radiator for better flow through that so i could not put the bag in the original wash bottle position

Last edited:
I just installed a factory nsx-r beam in my 1993 nsx. Here are pictures of the honda aluminum front beam.

Note the nsxr beam is nice and has attachments for the washer reservoir and one of the horns. See pics of the beam seperate and installed in the bumper

I had a procar beam in my last nsx. I also replaced the rear beam in my 1993 nsx with the factory honda rear aluminum beam.

I live 10 minutes away from rope, so no rain for me either so I drained the tank and then reinstalled it empty. Hehe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
it's the middle of winter here in NZ right now and it's a cold and wet one we have had two months rain fall in ten days. lucky bastards

I just installed a factory nsx-r beam in my 1993 nsx. Here are pictures of the honda aluminum front beam.

Note the nsxr beam is nice and has attachments for the washer reservoir and one of the horns. See pics of the beam seperate and installed in the bumper

I had a procar beam in my last nsx. I also replaced the rear beam in my 1993 nsx with the factory honda rear aluminum beam.

I live 10 minutes away from rope, so no rain for me either so I drained the tank and then reinstalled it empty. Hehe

What did you save up front?

That's great and I've read nothing but good reviews for Collin's product.

Now I'm curious if anyone else has tried the Ballistic EVO2 battery on an NSX. I've read some mixed reviews about this battery on Lotuses but the consensus seems to be I'm fine to use it in California weather. Anyone?

What's the warranty? The Shorai has a 3 year warranty.

Finally finished cleaning off the sound deadening material from the floors and firewall. All total weighed roughly 55-60lb.

In post #653 of this thread, Midnight_Raven stated that the firewall insulation mat weighed 12.6 lbs and that the tar insulation weighed 4.2 lbs per side. In total, that comes to 21.0 lbs.

If you removed 55-60 lbs, did you remove more than Midnight_Raven did? What exactly did you remove?

That's great and I've read nothing but good reviews for Collin's product.

Now I'm curious if anyone else has tried the Ballistic EVO2 battery on an NSX. I've read some mixed reviews about this battery on Lotuses but the consensus seems to be I'm fine to use it in California weather. Anyone?

IMO one of the biggest draws to our package is that we've designed drop in trays specifically for the NSX, so you know that it'll fit nicely and will be securely fastened to the car. It's not as light as it could be, but it's also not going to move around at all after it's installed.

Back