• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Please post your rough estimate. Weight in sheet to back it up is a big plus. It is ok to update your #s if you found more accurate weight for the parts. If you have weighted parts that have not yet been listed on the FAQ section, please post them here as well.

92 NSX curb weight 3010lbs.

Free weight reductions (confirmed weight data):
spare tire -29.4lbs
tool kit/jack/air pump -15lbs
engine cover -15lbs
Toe Hook -3lbs

Non-free weight reductions with real weight data (Oem weight - new part weight)
Taitec GTLW -26lbs (44-18)
Comptech Headers -12lbs (32-20)
Downforce Wing carbon fiber NSX-R wing -7.2lbs (14-6.8)
Procar carbon fiber type r hood -6.8lbs (15-8.8)
Bilstein shocks -5.6lbs (oem shocks=5.6lbs each, Bilstein=4.2lbs each)
CTSC +60lbs:frown:
OEM intake manifold assembly/alternator/cover+plates/etc -45lbs:smile: (offset most of the CTSC weight gain)
Volk Racing CE/LE28N 17/17 wheels -10.92lbs OEM 15/16 wheels (15.2lbs+18.86)x2 - LE28N17/17(13.8lbs+14.8lbs)x2=10.92lbs
Toyo T1-R lightweight tires F: 205/40/17 R: 255/40/17-8.6lbs 94.6lbs-86lbs
02 OEM headlight conversion -23lbs
Carbon Fiber licence plate frame -.5lbs (oem weight 10oz-2oz=8oz)
Windshield wiper motor, blade delete. Fluid drained -25lbs

Not yet 100% confirmed (rough estimate)
OEM steering wheel/airbag delete -20lbs:smile: (extremely conservative estimate)
Momo steering wheel + quick release +10lbs:frown:
Tein S Tech springs -5lbs (oem weight 7lbs per spring, Tein S-tech is light but need exact #s)

Estimated weight after diet with all fuilds in full------------------------2821.5lbs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to correct me if you see anything that is incorrect and if you have weighted the item. Tire weight is something many doesn't mention. Since this is weight reduction thread I will post some tire weight info here as well:

Comfirmed Weight of OEM Potenza tires:
15/16 94.6lbs total for all 4 tires
16/17 98lbs total for all 4 tires

Toyo T1R (lightest tire that I know of and sizes that I have tried on both oem and aftermarket wheels)
205/45/16 19lbs
205/40/17 19lbs
245/40/17 23lbs
255/40/17 24lbs

Last edited:
Nice diet on your NSX, with the weight reduction you probably don't need the CTSC anymore :D

BTW: At least on the NSX-T the difference between having the engine cover vs not having it is huge if you are attuned to your car, I noticed the difference in handling on my NSX when I put the stock engine cover back on.

It's probably because the engine cover sits pretty high on the car which magnifies the effect.

Hey Jason,

Is there a place where we can weigh our cars? I would be curious to see how much my car weighs after dropping the weight I wanted to.

ediddynsx said:
Hey Jason,

Is there a place where we can weigh our cars? I would be curious to see how much my car weighs after dropping the weight I wanted to.
Eddie, the other night you were telling me that you knew of a place that did corner balancing... have your car weighed there.

nsx1 said:
Eddie, the other night you were telling me that you knew of a place that did corner balancing... have your car weighed there.

Thats right I can take it to Darin! but he is super busy all the time.....well I will do it in the future after I shedded all the weight i want. :biggrin:

nsxsupra said:
Probably EMI (Erik M) at Huntington Beach, same guy who did Danny's champion race car. Group weight in NSX meet would be nice.

Such an event would probably have a great turn out... fwiw someone on a bmw forum claimed you could just drive into a 'truck scale' on the side of the freeway and obtain your weight that way.

scorp965 said:
perhaps if I had an airhorn installed first :biggrin:

i have an airhorn, i'll have to try it oneday at a weigh station :wink:

anyone know how much the na2 oem header and exhaust are? When i had them taken off I noticed they were much heavier than the comptech headers and gt-one exhaust

ediddynsx said:
Hey Jason,

I actually do it all the time.

If you don't have a set of Longacre scales... there is always the truck weigh stations when they are closed or set to bypass off the interstate highways. Up here they are accurate/calibrated to within 20lbs increments usually. I'm always trying to drop it that extra notch. Just pull in, fill up (everyone should have a full tank to keep results comparable), step out (no payload), and let us know... ideally on holidays, weekends or late at night... so as to avoid the weird looks... they always leave them on.

nsxsupra said:
Please post your rough estimate. Weight in sheet to back it up is a big plus. If you have weighted parts that have not yet been listed on the FAQ section, please post them here as well.

My weight reduction progress. 92 starting weight 3010lbs
Current weight------------------------2839lbs

Did you weigh your car with or without fuel and if so, how much ??

Well, here is my list from another recent thread:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76630

I cannot upload an excel-sheet with all the (possible) changes but I can list them:

Item LBS KG
OEM spare-tire (15", model 1991-1996) Remove -29.4 -13.3
OEM spare tire mount Remove -2.2 -1.0
OEM European toolkit (no pump&jack) Remove -6.6 -3.0
OEM towhook Remove -0.8 -0.3
OEM European foglights (pair) Remove -3.6 -1.6
OEM Zanardi floormat set Add 6.4 2.9
OEM Alpine 6-disc CD-player (in trunk) Add 4.3 1.9
OEM Alpine CD-player mount Add 2.4 1.1
OEM Honda battery 65Ah Remove -37.0 -16.8
OEM Honda battery 45Ah Add 33.0 15.0
OEM engine cover NSX coupe version Remove -13.9 -6.3
Carbonfiber mesh engine cover Add 5.3 2.4
OEM suspension 1991-1996 all wheels Remove -55.3 -25.1
TEIN-RA suspension Add 41.7 18.9
OEM (1991-1994) Remove -43.4 -19.7
SoS Taitec GT Lightweight Add 18.3 8.3
OEM headers (1991-1996) Remove -32.0 -14.5
SoS Taitec GT headers (1991-1994) Add 19.4 8.8
OEM front wheel 16x7 (1994-2001) Remove -33.6 -15.2
OEM rear wheel 17x8.5 1994+ Remove -41.8 -19.0
BBS RSII front wheel 17x8 Add 46.0 20.9
BBS RSII rear wheel 18x10 Add 50.2 22.8
OEM front rotor 1991-1996 11.1" Remove -27.8 -12.6
Stoptech Aerorotor front 1991-1996 Add 24.6 11.2
OEM side air-intake (set) Remove -5.0 -2.3
OEM air intake tube Remove -1.3 -0.6
OEM Rear Toelinks rear Remove -2.1 -1.0
Dali Racing carbonglass air-intake Add 1.0 0.5
Dali Racing radiator shield Add 2.1 1.0
Cantrell air intake Add 4.5 2.0
SOS Non-compliance Toelinks Add 1.7 0.8
Home made Front Underbody Cover (Type R) Add 3.2 1.5

Total weight saved according to my calculations is 72 Lbs or 32.5 Kg.

The current weight of the car with full tank is 2998 lbs (or 1360 Kg).

Aproximately how many horsepower would around a 100 lb. weight reduction give a normally aspirated NSX, say a 1991?

djdrock said:
Aproximately how many horsepower would around a 100 lb. weight reduction give a normally aspirated NSX, say a 1991?

Simple calc. The base NSX is 3010 lbs and 274 HP which equals to 10.99 lbs/HP

So, reducing the weight by 100 lbs would be the same as adding 100/10.99 = 9.10 HP.

nsxsupra said:
My starting and after weight is assuming the car is with all fluid at full level. 3010lbs-171lbs=2839lbs.

Thank you for your #s and information. No, I have not yet weighted the car, will do so when we have chance.

The weight info I still need for parts is:
OEM flip up headlights, cover, motor
OEM fixed headlights
Tein S Tech springs each

Ever thought about getting rid of those heavy seats?

The Kid said:
Ever thought about getting rid of those heavy seats?
I dreamed about it, but it will never get pass lady's inspection.

CTSC-she doesn't know yet, looks stock to her, you local guys never mention in front of her please:eek:
wheels-what a tough battle
02 Conversion-her favorite look and sponsored my oem bumper
Steering wheel- why in the world did you remove airbag? :mad:
Seats-not going to ever happen for me

nsxsupra said:

CTSC-she doesn't know yet, looks stock to her, you local guys never mention in front of her please:eek:

this is for you jason since you lost your manhood

I have a '94 coupe, assuming stock weight of 3010lbs

wheels -12.0lbs
exhaust -12.0lbs
headers -12.0lbs
cats -22.0lbs
stereo/cd changer - 8.0lbs
hood -10.0lbs
spare/bracket -32.4lbs
tool kit -15.0lbs
steering wheel - 5.0lbs
engine cover -15.0lbs
nsx-r wing - 7.0lbs

= 150.40

3010 - 150.40 = 2859.6 lbs

According to this page:
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/weight_loss/weight_loss_cost_matrix.cfm

the trunk tool kit is 15lbs, not 40lbs; 20lbs also seems excessive from the steering wheel/airbag - did you weigh these parts, off the car?

All of you SoCal folks should really consider replacing the battery with a smaller one given that you folks don't have to deal with cold weather, it will reduce the weight substantially and it does not cost much to do so.

Same thing with the side scoops if you can find a reasonable cheap set, the OEM ones are boat anchors too.

Removing the Windshield Wipers, Motor and Tank I lost 27lbs. I didn't see that one on the list. The fix is several good coats of Rain-X! :biggrin:

BTW my last weigh in was 2860lbs with a 1/2 tank of gas. So closer to 2900lbs, but started at 3164lbs...

nsxsupra said:

Unplug the power on her seat and say it's broken. Replace it with a SPG and tell her they are cheaper than OEM. :wink: I can't tell you how many things were "broken" on my NSX and needed replacing. hehe

Last edited:
2slow2speed said:
All of you SoCal folks should really consider replacing the battery with a smaller one given that you folks don't have to deal with cold weather, it will reduce the weight substantially and it does not cost much to do so.

Same thing with the side scoops if you can find a reasonable cheap set, the OEM ones are boat anchors too.

Really? How much do they weight?

Henry.

John McCain Racing said:
Unplug the power on her seat and say it's broken. Replace it with a SPG and tell her they are cheaper than OEM. :wink: I can't tell you how many things were "broken" on my NSX and needed replacing. hehe

Those Recaro's are light, but the seat rails and mounts are quite heavy.

Henry.

Last edited:
I found a lightweight battery to be a hassle, it required two jumps in the 2.5 months I used my PC680, and I was always worried about it... this said, if you use a battery tender, it does save significant weight - I believe the total is in the order of approx 25lbs, after factoring in the install of a battery box. This is also somewhat of a downfall, I discovered, as it made the front end of my car seem a bit 'floaty' - I am sure this could be dialed away with coilovers, but the handling was negatively affected, despite the weight reduction, on my car (bilsteins/eibachs).

This is what I came up with. Pertty sure there are errors, but close enough.

13449Weight_Reduction_chart.jpg

Back