• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

why we love those wacky japanese

Last edited:
This clip was taken from this years annual New Years Eve music show called Kohaku Utagassen on NHK television (biggest, oldest network in Japan). I watched it as it was being broadcast and several acts after this particular song one of the presenters came on and read an "official" release apologizing for this performance and stating that the "nude" appearing dancers were actually wearing bodysuits with the naughty bits printed onto the fabric. The priceless moment happened just after the end of the clip when they cut to the female host who had to introduce the next act. She was stuttering and at a loss for words for several seconds before she was able to continue.

Nevertheless when they later polled the audience there were a few that mentioned how they liked this particular performance! LOL!

In Japan they are not as strict as the US with showing topless nudity on broadcast television but it is very unusual for it to be shown on what is usually a "family show" and a traditional New Years Eve music program.

New Years is the biggest holiday in Japan and I believe this annual show is the most watched television program. Female pop, opera, folk, and rap singers (red team) are pitted against male singers (white team) and at the end the audience and special guest judges decide the winner. It is a very eclectic and enteraining show.

As my understanding, that television channel was also a government owned channel up to a few years ago, thus not only was it more strickly censored but it was also in everyones homes. I think they freaked some people out.

Back