• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple iPhone officially announced

I've been waiting on this product forever. I'm so psyched!!!!

A little over an hour and a half ago Steve Jobs announced the iPhone would become a reality finally.

Now I know why it took so long... they went nuts. No buttons, all touchscreen, including multitouch technology which is a very cool tech in itself.

It's a smartphone, competing against Blackberry and Treo. It's not aimed at the casual cellphone user.

Widescreen iPod + Cellphone + Web Surfing thingy

suggested prices (from transcript)
4GB - $499
8GB - $599
prices come with 2yr Cingular contract
Cingular is exclusive US service provider.

more info:
If you have time, read the transscript... he talks about all the features in detail. this might be the best phone on the market.

For the live transcript of MacWorld Keynote
http://www.macrumorslive.com/

The Apple iPhone site
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

picture3si9.png

good thing i bought a treo 680 on sunday.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?!!!

ok, so it'll take some time for them to work a few kinks out of this new goodie, so maybe i'm ok for a while. (yeah, that's the ticket :(

looks cool, way to go steve and company.

I'm a gadget geek too, and I've got the Treo also... :rolleyes:

That thing is sweet, but apple made a bad move by signing an exclusive contract with Cingular. That thing will sell no matter what provider the user has, so to sign a contract with Cingular and try and force people into a contract with another provider is just plain dumb. I like the phone, but I'm not switching my service provider for it...

That thing is sweet, but apple made a bad move by signing an exclusive contract with Cingular. That thing will sell no matter what provider the user has, so to sign a contract with Cingular and try and force people into a contract with another provider is just plain dumb. I like the phone, but I'm not switching my service provider for it...
Completely agree. I switched from Cingular to Verizon after two years. Couldn't wait to get out of that contract. Just got the Chocolate phone and LOVE it. Reception is heads and shoulders above Cingular (at least where I live) and haven't had a problem with their customer service yet. Would love to get the iPhone but no way in hell am I switching back to Cingular...

btw, i should have included this caveat in my earlier post:

i'm really interested in this as announced as long as they have significantly improved the abrasion resistance of the screen. i'm sure it sounds "obvious" that they would have done that by now, but one never knows.

looks like a KILLER product.

HONDA, ARE YOU LISTENING?

Man, I've never been so looking forward to jump carriers and spend $600 on a phone in my life! Amazingly, this thing exceeds what all the rumors were saying and is a gadget geek's wet dream. Fortunately where I live, the GSM coverage has been surprisingly good and I haven't had any problems with TMobile.

From a business perspective, I don't see how Verizon would ever allow a device like this to be used on their network, because they would have wanted to disable whatever features they wanted carte blanche. You can envision Verizon saying, "Nonono, we want the customer to buy OUR music and watch OUR videos. So take all that iTunes stuff out! And turn off that bluetooth file transfer/syncing crap while you're at it. And we'll have to decide on a subscription price for the email."

If only the new NSX launch had gone like this. Imagine if they had unveiled something so awesome that it exceeded all those photoshop renderings we had ever seen, and the engine was more powerful than the wildest rumors. We would have been cheering and scrambling to the Acura dealers to put down deposits.

I love gadgets too.

Pray that it gets a more scratchresistant display than the scratchhungry garbage they fitted on the iPods.

I've been looking at pictures of the iPhone all day. I love the way it looks.

It has almost everything I could want (now just add GPS, a HDD w/ at least 30GB and a full feature PDA and I'm all set).

After watching the demo, all I can say is...WOW!!! :eek:

I just wish I didn't purchase my HTC Wizard (Which has been great) earlier this year along with a 2 yr contract. Doh!

freakin thing is probably going to be 700/800 for people with a current contract :mad:

eh, i'll live. i hate buying stuff like this when it first comes out anyway... i'll wait for everybody to report the bugs first and the novelty of it being new to wear down its price a tad.

I'm a big Apple fan, but I know better than to buy first generation apple products.... I will be waiting for the 2nd gen, with 3G communications capabilities (either the newest GSM stuff, or EVDO Rev. A/B on CDMA networks). Then it will be in my personal sweet spot.

Just bought a Treo, I'm liking it so far. Can't wait to upgrade to the iPhone 2 in a year though :)

Cingular's CEO and board probably signed up for the partnership after meeting with Steve Jobs for an hour. Can you imagine the kind of presence and influence Jobs would have in a meeting like that? Probably like a vulcan mind meld. The success of the iPod and Macintosh are very, very persuasive.

suggested prices (from transcript)
4GB - $499
8GB - $599
prices come with 2yr Cingular contract
Cingular is exclusive US service provider.

That's too bad. I switched from Verizon to Cingular when we bought my wife's LX470 and I'm very disappointed with Cingular. We get horrible reception compared to what we got from Verizon.

Man I'm in love with the iPhone!!!

I am in gadget nirvana because I love my new Sansa c250 MP3 player which I use for work and gym ( I have a 40 gb iPod for the car), as well as the new RAZR V3m which I just got recently (ok ok the RAZR's been out a while but it's new to Sprint!! )

I have multiple cellphones and have every carrier but Cingular. Now I'm looking at Cingular very carefully because of the iPhone.

Just when I think I'm in heaven because of the bluetooth of the RAZR, now I think I'm in love with the iPhone because of its no-compromise design of a MP3 player / cellphone / and mini PC. *drool*

I will have one, eventually. :)

Overhyped piece of junk. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't have a keyboard. How the hell do you type emails, IM or text message people? I don't think the iPhone even uses a stylus.

This little beauty from Samsung will be out in February. And this updated version of the BlackJack (it includes WiFi which the BlackJack lacks) will be out this month. And they both support 3G, apparently the iPhone doest not.

Overhyped piece of junk. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't have a keyboard. How the hell do you type emails, IM or text message people? I don't think the iPhone even uses a stylus.

dsc_0199.jpg

I REALLY like Samsung phones. That's a nice one Hugh.

In one of the videos on the apple site it shows the typing... it's onscreen touch just like the rest of the phone... a keyboard comes up over everything else.

OK, that looks pretty cute but I still have my doubts until I can actually try one out. I'm currently using an HTC 8125 and a Nokia 6822 which swings open to reveal a full qwerty keyboard. I do a LOT of texting. In any case I'm not an Apple fan. iPods are junk, iTunes is junk, Macs are junk so there's no reason to expect this won't be junk either. It's gonna be time to try shorting Apple stock pretty soon. :biggrin:

nokia_6822.jpg

sillyiphone.jpg

It's gonna be time to try shorting Apple stock pretty soon. :biggrin:

Out of curiosity, why would you prefer a short? Why not just buy some puts a month or two out... hype should die down a bit by then and the launch would still be months away. This way you won't need to tie up too much of your kache while controlling a significant position. Unless of course you are predicting a long downtrend?

Edit: I just looked up the Put pricing for AAPL, not as much of a deal as I thought they'd be.

On a somehat related note, recently when the news broke about the 7.5 million non-board-approved options Jobsy received, I thought for sure it would spook the Apple bagholders. Plenty of other companies have been walloped in the last year for less. It was barely a blip.... the aapl is certainly a darling right now.

iPhone :

iPhone is first party software ONLY - does not allow software to be installed.
No 3G.
No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
No expandable memory.
No removable battery.
No Exchange or Office support.

Back