• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best place/way to get Tempur-Pedic mattress?

I'm sure it won't fit up your stairs but how about a "sleep number". I've never slept on one but my wife has (at a hotel) and she loves them. We've been thinking about getting one. But 5$-6$k tough to justify.

7years ago we bought a tempurpedic (sp?) but returned it immediately due to the chemical smell it gave off. (when we called to ask/complain about it they suggested to walk on the mattress for a couple of hours to "out gas" it.) returned it, then bought a sleep number. my wife thought the sleep number was ok, i hated it ... could never get comfortable with it but kept it until 2 weeks ago. bought a sealy with a pillow top that seems to work well so far.

We've been thinking about this for some time now. I read thru the www.healthyfoundations.com site (mentioned by robr in post #7) and I'm tempted to go with them. I really like the compact shipping technique which will make it a lot easier to lug upstairs.

-J

7years ago we bought a tempurpedic (sp?) but returned it immediately due to the chemical smell it gave off. (when we called to ask/complain about it they suggested to walk on the mattress for a couple of hours to "out gas" it.) returned it, then bought a sleep number. my wife thought the sleep number was ok, i hated it ... could never get comfortable with it but kept it until 2 weeks ago. bought a sealy with a pillow top that seems to work well so far.

The chemical smell dissipates within 48 hours. I spent big bucks on a top of the line King size Sealy pillow top, but within 4 months there were pronounced impressions in the bed (and we're not heavy, btw). After reading online about how common the problem is with Sealy and how difficult it is to return, I bit the bullet and bought a Novaform from Costco. Their top of the line tempurpedic is relatively inexpensive, and returning anything at Costco is easy. I've had it now for about 4 months and I'm happy with it.

Before buying a mattress check out this forum and edumacate yourself.

http://www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum/index.html

The mattress my wife picked out today was $3600. After reading up at the above forum I realized it was a complete ripoff.

thx for the heads-up on the forum, rob - at first glance, lots of good info there ... i'll invest time to educate myself.

pvmike, thx for the comments wrt sealy & costco mattresses ... i'll check one out the next time i'm @ costco. re our tempurpedic, we had it for 4 days iirc and my wife was still complaining - either the mattress was leaving or she was, and the mattress was the less expensive solution.

Almost 6 years since I posted here about my aching back and purchasing a memory foam mattress. My lower back and neck are worse than ever, I HATE this mattress and so does my wife. We need to figure out something that will fit up our stairs, may have to go with two Twin XL instead of a king. Off to mattress shop today.

Maybe you have too firm of a foam mattress? I have a Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Contour (which I don't think they carry anymore) and it's one of the firmest ones they have, but I like it that way. My girlfriend is alright with it but she like's her softer Serta. Tempur-Pedic has a wide range of firmness levels, and they have some beds that are supposed to be really soft, but still provide really good support for your back/side (depending how you sleep). I'm a back sleeper for the most part so that's why I like my bed being so firm, but I do agree with my girlfriend that it would be better if it was a little softer for side sleeping (I'm still okay with it though). What kind of sleeper are you? That might be the answer to your problems. Also Tempur-Pedic has split King's which would make it easier for moving up the stairs. And they have 0% financing for 48 months (which is a pretty good deal, which I did, lol). Also, I feel like their mattress foundations are definitely important and worth the money, unless you have a completely flat and solid bed frame. I have mine completely sitting on the ground for the most secure stance and closer to ground feeling, lol (a reflection of the way I like my cars maybe? haha).

The chemical smell dissipates within 48 hours. I spent big bucks on a top of the line King size Sealy pillow top, but within 4 months there were pronounced impressions in the bed (and we're not heavy, btw). After reading online about how common the problem is with Sealy and how difficult it is to return, I bit the bullet and bought a Novaform from Costco. Their top of the line tempurpedic is relatively inexpensive, and returning anything at Costco is easy. I've had it now for about 4 months and I'm happy with it.

Like pvmike said, you have to air out the bed to get rid of the smell. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't smell anymore, and the smell probably doesn't linger for a week or two (or maybe even more), but I'm almost positive it doesn't smell anymore (maybe it's because I have the Mattress Protector on it). I wonder if Serta's have that impression issue?

thx for the heads-up on the forum, rob - at first glance, lots of good info there ... i'll invest time to educate myself.

pvmike, thx for the comments wrt sealy & costco mattresses ... i'll check one out the next time i'm @ costco. re our tempurpedic, we had it for 4 days iirc and my wife was still complaining - either the mattress was leaving or she was, and the mattress was the less expensive solution.

last thing, not all memory foam bed's are the same/made the same, the material can differ (I had a Serta memory foam pillow, and it was good, but there is a difference)

Last edited:
Best place/way to get Tempur-Pedic mattress? Answer: Local, They are all sold at MAP pricing. So you wont find a better deal then local. (shipping, removal of old mattress)

You can find better deals on copycat mattress. But the Tempur-Pedic is hands down the best investment I have made I got the pillows for me and my girlfriend tailored to how we sleep. I was tossing and turning, waking up in the middle of the night, being tired all day, stressed out, back killing me all the time. My mattress was the #1 reason for all of this and it stopped as soon as I got the new mattress. I would spend twice the cost to buy another one if I had to. + they last forever and a day. When they tell you its a sound investment in your health its not just mattress store salesman BS. I wake up feeling 100% better every morning, its great.

Last edited:
FWIW my wife and I tried a Comforpedic while my secretary and her husband tried a Tempurpedic and we both had the same issue: after just a one year of use the foam broke down and we had soft spots worn where we slept. The companies would not stand behind their product because they said we did not have visible indentations in the mattress. My wife and I ended up buying a SleepNumber bed over two years ago and could not be happier with the product. You owe it to yourself to give the SleepNumber beds a try. I have no affiliation whatsoever with the company!!!

We have the tempur-medic foam mattress, and what I find is that if I sleep with one pillow I'm fine, but if I use 2 pillows than my back is brutalized in the morning.

Almost 6 years since I posted here about my aching back and purchasing a memory foam mattress. My lower back and neck are worse than ever, I HATE this mattress and so does my wife. We need to figure out something that will fit up our stairs, may have to go with two Twin XL instead of a king. Off to mattress shop today.

did you like the memory foam mattress you slept on here? That one had a mattress topper on it which I think made it "better". But I agree that the memory foam mattresses suck. The key to getting a good nights rest is to buy a new mattress every few years, and that is an exact quote from a mattress saleswoman. Of course she wants to sell me something every few years but I do agree with her assesment. Mattresses imo do not hold up that long. I keep mine for about four years and then swap it out. Just bought a new black series recently after getting rid of a Trump mattress. The Trump mattress was great for the first three years then started to sag quite a bit, in fact enough that it was purchased back. If you've ever tried to get a mattress covered by warranty you'd know just how bad that a mattress needs to be in order for the manufacturer to give any kind of credit let alone full refund. it took me a few months to get it covered but they finally gave me a full refund.

sleep is a complex cascade of events that need to occure in sequence for us to feel "rested" and ready to go .The bed is a small part of that.The bed is there just to make you feel comfy enough to get the brain into its sleep cycle.Many people who "can't" sleep have other issues related to overall health/drugs/caffein/chronic pain/anxiety/worry....ect...before you throw money at your mattress....take a look at you .....

Agree docjohn, there are other issues here at work, however when I can't get comfortable and am in pain laying in bed and have to fight to find a comfortable position which becomes painful after a bit and wake up sore and stiff all over, some of that belongs to the mattress.

Steve, wasn't a fan of that mattress, sorry! :). I did like that the bed adjusted though. They do make it extremely hard to collect on a warranty. Poorer quality materials break down quicker and may not show any visible evidence, therefore, no warranty coverage.

The sleepez place I mentioned above uses the best materials made with their latex beds and you actually assemble the mattress yourself after you custom order it. If anything breaks down, you can simply order a replacement layer.

I am a physical therapist, and about 10-20% of my patient population have some sort of significant sleep issue. Some things to consider before blaming it on the bed, as about 95% of the people who've bought a Tempurpedic from me are quite happy with it.

1. Be sure you are checked for allergies and/or sleep disruption.
2. Cut down on the caffeine.
3. Try to avoid exercise at least 3 hours before you go to sleep.
4. The most comfortable position to sleep in sidelying, in the fetal position. Within this sidelying position, make sure your low back and neck are "neutral". Neutral at the neck specifically means having lots of support under the neck, and some support under the head. In other words, if I'm looking at you while you're lying on your side, you should not have your head tilted either towards or away from the bed.

If you are a stomach sleeper, get out of the habit ASAP.

5. If you have a bad back, try putting a pillow between your knees while sidelying.

6. In addition, 80% of people get some relief by having their legs propped up while on their back (for reading, watching TV). This won't help for side sleeping, but the less irritated your body/mind is, as a whole, the more likely you'll achieve some decent sleep.

As to the bed itself:

1. Yes, air it out for a few days (open windows, etc.).
2. Adjust both your bedding and your sleeping garments accordingly. The Tempurpedic material does a wonderful job of trapping heat, so if you are uncomfortable when it gets too warm in bed, dress down accordingly. I no longer sleep in pajamas or sweats.
3. It takes most people about 2 weeks to get used to the new "resistance" of the Tempurpedic.

Although with a new baby you're probably not using it much :D

- - - Updated - - -

sleep is a complex cascade of events that need to occure in sequence for us to feel "rested" and ready to go .The bed is a small part of that.The bed is there just to make you feel comfy enough to get the brain into its sleep cycle.Many people who "can't" sleep have other issues related to overall health/drugs/caffein/chronic pain/anxiety/worry....ect...before you throw money at your mattress....take a look at you .....

And remove or place electrical tape over anything that emits light. I get way better sleep when the room is pitch black.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree docjohn, there are other issues here at work, however when I can't get comfortable and am in pain laying in bed and have to fight to find a comfortable position which becomes painful after a bit and wake up sore and stiff all over, some of that belongs to the mattress.

Steve, wasn't a fan of that mattress, sorry! :). I did like that the bed adjusted though. They do make it extremely hard to collect on a warranty. Poorer quality materials break down quicker and may not show any visible evidence, therefore, no warranty coverage.

The sleepez place I mentioned above uses the best materials made with their latex beds and you actually assemble the mattress yourself after you custom order it. If anything breaks down, you can simply order a replacement layer.

Yeah I don't really like that mattress either but the bed frame rocks! The mattress I had replaced under warranty was defiantly bad as one of the pieces of wood on the box spring snapped in half. There was a knot in the wood right where it snapped. Like mike said were not heavy people either. I'm 180 and Renee is 105 so weight wasn't a factor it was poor workmanship that did the mattress in. I called as soon as it broke and had the vendor come out right away they would have probably only had to replace the box spring. But there tactic is to delay and that cost them a few grand. Well retail would have been a few grand, they probably only lost a couple hundred.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a physical therapist, and about 10-20% of my patient population have some sort of significant sleep issue. Some things to consider before blaming it on the bed, as about 95% of the people who've bought a Tempurpedic from me are quite happy with it.

1. Be sure you are checked for allergies and/or sleep disruption.
2. Cut down on the caffeine.
3. Try to avoid exercise at least 3 hours before you go to sleep.
4. The most comfortable position to sleep in sidelying, in the fetal position. Within this sidelying position, make sure your low back and neck are "neutral". Neutral at the neck specifically means having lots of support under the neck, and some support under the head. In other words, if I'm looking at you while you're lying on your side, you should not have your head tilted either towards or away from the bed.

If you are a stomach sleeper, get out of the habit ASAP.

5. If you have a bad back, try putting a pillow between your knees while sidelying.

6. In addition, 80% of people get some relief by having their legs propped up while on their back (for reading, watching TV). This won't help for side sleeping, but the less irritated your body/mind is, as a whole, the more likely you'll achieve some decent sleep.

As to the bed itself:

1. Yes, air it out for a few days (open windows, etc.).
2. Adjust both your bedding and your sleeping garments accordingly. The Tempurpedic material does a wonderful job of trapping heat, so if you are uncomfortable when it gets too warm in bed, dress down accordingly. I no longer sleep in pajamas or sweats.
3. It takes most people about 2 weeks to get used to the new "resistance" of the Tempurpedic.

So why would my arm that's on the mattress fall asleep when I sleep on my side? It's not under me so its not getting pinched.

I'm one of the early adopters of the real tempurpedic.

Love it.

Only regret is that they didn't have the selection they do now.

the model that I have is the original one that is better for side sleepers.

I sleep on my back so if i had the option I would have done the more firm version.

BIG drawback is that it really does absorb kinetic energy. And that includes boinking. U really can't depend on the traditional spring beds to help u in missionary style.

No joke.

Girls do love it when they first get on the mattress. totally trips them out. they just lay on there not wanting to get off.

why is that?

At the lumbar spine you are in an extension bias, which is never a good thing, and at the neck you are going to be in an end-range rotational bias, one way or another, and that's no good either. In other words, you are putting your spine in a loaded position after loading it all day standing, sitting, etc.

Interresting.....Do you have any links to some studies that support that claim?

There was a "classic" study that was done in the late 70s/early 80s by Nachemson (before they banned invasive measuring procedures on live humans) that showed the amount of intradiscal pressure at the lumbar spine in various positions.

If standing was your baseline, it was 100% of baseline.

Lying on your back, with legs straight, resulted in 25% of baseline pressure.

Hyperextension was 140% of baseline.

Lying on your stomach wasn't measured specifically, but lying on your stomach mimics hyperextension more so than it does a "neutral" standing position.

In my book, Hugo(aka- Hugabuga of the window regulator mod) was the 2011 Primer of the Year.
For 2012, I say the honor goes to Rao for pioneer the RDX Injector Project and now helping all the Primers sleep better for a lower lap time:applause: all supported with data FTW:cheerful:

Back