• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBS is out of business

Where did you hear about this?:eek:

I thought they were among those in the wheel business who did it quite well.. :eek:

Catching solution failed: The autosupplier BBS automotive technology AG in scold oh placed an insolvency request. As reason for the inability to pay the enterprise indicated the way breaking of a big customer.

A catching solution failed. The technology leader with high-quality light alloy wheels had still briefly before communicated the change at the point of the supervisory board. The former minister of economics of Baden-Wuerttemberg Walter Doering should replace Hans-Peter Hirner (71). BBS had communicated in August 2006 that the enterprise had to accept a result depression because of aluminum prices snapped the strongly up. The additional tax result sagged in the first half-year on minus 3.8 million euro. For the whole year 2006 BBS had expected a conversion of 200 million euro. The conversion of the yearly 2005 was with 189.8 million euro. BBS employs approximately 1200 coworkers in the company. "although to the time of the filing of an application still promising negotiations were led to the re-establishment of the solvency of the enterprise, were the reason for the filing of an application that the society was come into serious liquidity difficulties and the end of the request period stood, was called after Paragraf 92 of the law on limited companies before the expiration" it in the report of BBS. A solution for the re-establishment of the solvency appeared last, which should be carried by the big customers of the enterprise. The promise of the big customers to make the necessary liquidity available by larger Vorfaelligkeitszahlungen it was also given. The conversion of the concept failed however at the past night because of the resistance of one of the banks involved, although the society granted for the purpose of the continuation of the financing collateral to the financing banks. A catching solution under excluding the bank concerned did not come therefore no more to conditions (dpa)

Hope this helps, Bablefish.

I thought they were among those in the wheel business who did it quite well.. :eek:

That's what I thought too, at first sight. But I think that the german automotive outsources to non-german countries like they did some of their car-models.

Dang.... I guess good BBS wheels will now go up. BBS is one of the lightest wheels out there..

I wouldn't count on that actually. BBS are just average wheels IMO and not especially light. For the money you pay(ed) for them there's a full bunch of competititors which have better wheels.

I don't know about the average delivery time for a set of BBS but I hope that nobody is waiting for a set as he may not being served.

I
hope someone posts a place that's clearancing their inventory
That might be The Tirerack. They move a lot of BBS wheels.

In my opinion the Forgeline 3 piece wheels are a better choice.

Maybe Honda can save that company, after all, most of the wheels on Honda cars are BBS, including F1 rims.

Maybe Honda can save that company, after all, most of the wheels on Honda cars are BBS, including F1 rims.

Aftermarket or OEM? I thought that most of the OEM Honda wheels are Enkei but could be wrong.

Are they actually "out of business" (no longer manufacturing wheels or maintaining their operations), or are they only in bankruptcy court and reorganizing/restructuring?

Are they actually "out of business" (no longer manufacturing wheels or maintaining their operations), or are they only in bankruptcy court and reorganizing/restructuring?

I can only tell it for firms in Switzerland. Bankruptcy is equivalent to no production from that day on. But BBS is Germany which may differ but I don't really think so. As long as they can't pay their bills they won't be able to produce their wheels for very long I think as they won't get any new orders at least. Maybe they'll finish some of their orders but I highly doubt it as it would favour some creditors which is not allowed by law (criminal act).
What is more likely is that the profitable part of BBS will be outsourced. A reorganisation of a German supplier normally looks like this: Closing German factories and open a new one in Eastern-Europe or in the Far-East.

Aftermarket or OEM? I thought that most of the OEM Honda wheels are Enkei but could be wrong.

I believe the 02+ NSX OEM wheels are made by BBS.

Also, they make the OEM wheels on other makes like the Subaru WRX STi:

69573_b53256c9-bd2d-4d2c-8782-95a2ced35ea1.jpg

I wouldn't count on that actually. BBS are just average wheels IMO and not especially light. For the money you pay(ed) for them there's a full bunch of competititors which have better wheels.

I don't know what you are basing this on Gold, BBS is one of very few manufacturers that manufactures cold forged wheels. They are on average, lighter and stronger than almost any wheel out there. Their experience and reputation in racing is probably second to none. Many OEMs use them on their highest performance cars. I know from experience, their quality is top notch. The factory 02+ wheel is a forged BBS wheel. All their wheels are x-rayed and free from defects that plague many other brands.

They may have had a lot of competitors, but few were even close to being as good. The reason they probably went out of business is because they didn't care too much about what is hip and in style this month. They continued to produce their classic wheels whose design was based on science, not style. No, you couldn't order a BBS wheel with a fat lip and in chrome. That hurt them.

This is a very sad thing if they are truly gone. I would recommend their wheels 100% to anyone. They are, pure performance.

Re: which sector of the market are they out of?

The reason they probably went out of business is because they didn't care too much about what is hip and in style this month. They continued to produce their classic wheels whose design was based on science, not style. No, you couldn't order a BBS wheel with a fat lip and in chrome. That hurt them.
This makes sense to me. There are a lot of racecars that are designed around or spec'd to run BBS. I'd bet that sector of the market will carry on.

I don't know what you are basing this on Gold, BBS is one of very few manufacturers that manufactures cold forged wheels. They are on average, lighter and stronger than almost any wheel out there. Their experience and reputation in racing is probably second to none. Many OEMs use them on their highest performance cars. I know from experience, their quality is top notch. The factory 02+ wheel is a forged BBS wheel. All their wheels are x-rayed and free from defects that plague many other brands.

They may have had a lot of competitors, but few were even close to being as good. The reason they probably went out of business is because they didn't care too much about what is hip and in style this month. They continued to produce their classic wheels whose design was based on science, not style. No, you couldn't order a BBS wheel with a fat lip and in chrome. That hurt them.

This is a very sad thing if they are truly gone. I would recommend their wheels 100% to anyone. They are, pure performance.

We know that we have all different preferences. Mine are:
1. Safety
2. Design
3. Weight
4. Price

What's not so important to me:
The technic used to produce them as long as the wheel is safe and light.
Reputation in racing. It's not bad to have a good reputation in racing but I don't buy brands just because of their marketing.

That's what my decision on a wheel influences.
I agree with you on the safety of BBS wheels. You can be sure that this wheel doesn't break. But many others don't either. Quality is top-notch here as you've mentioned.
I also agree with you concerning design. IMO it looks like their design is a little bit dated back in the 80/90's, ok that personal preference. You've already mentioned the no-fat-lip-problem.
For weight we can have a look at http://gti-vr6.net/library/wheels_tires_brakes/wheels_weight/wheels2_17.html where the BBS are good to average.

If I hold the price-variable constant which means that I compare different wheels of the same price-range there are better looking (to me), lighter and equivalent in safety wheels on the market. From the perspective that I'm receiving CE28N wheels in a month or two I call the BBS average.
I wouldn't say not to buy their wheels. It's only that for the price you pay you could do better in at least two variables mentioned above, again depending on your preferences.
IMO Volk Racing wheels are a little bit closer to pure performance.

Re: The old saying.......

"If it ain't broke......it's not light enough."
I agree with you on the safety of BBS wheels. You can be sure that this wheel doesn't break. But many others don't either.
BBS doesn't play that game. But other race wheels seem to: Here's a story in this thread about wheel manufacturer's assumptions. The broken wheel topic is 1/2 down the page.

Re: The old saying.......

"If it ain't broke......it's not light enough."

BBS doesn't play that game. But other race wheels seem to: Here's a story in this thread about wheel manufacturer's assumptions. The broken wheel topic is 1/2 down the page.

If we're talking about racing wheels (where I don't have any knowledge) there are different variables taken into account.
As for street-usable wheels Japan and Germany are the only countries that have governmental laws on how a wheel must be produced. Other countries have not. If a wheel is intended for street use the customer can/must be sure that it doesn't break. So the priorities of a street wheel are very much different than in racing.
There is a bunch of wheels which are available in the US which are not allowed to be mounted here in Switzerland if the wheel fails a very, very hard load-test. I would say that Switzerland has one of the hardest governmental tests for wheels worldwide. We pay for this but you can be sure that if a wheel is certified in Switzerland it won't brake by constructive design.

Back