• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Notchy" shifting into 2nd gear

Howdy all,

I bought an '02 with 12K on it. I checked out a lot of stuff, but the shift from 1st to 2nd is slightly "notchy." I've tried shifting gingerly, you know 3K rpm shift from 1st to 2nd, no load on the trans, etc. When I shift, it usually bumps a bit--not a grind, just 1-2 bumps through the linkage cables.

If I dbl clutch, the shifting is pristine.

It's going into Brookfield Acura shortly--when the weather, their schedule and my schedule cooperate. Any guesses on what I can expect--what's wrong and what'll it cost to fix?

Thanks to all.

pharma3

Typical when the engine/transmission is cold...after it warms up this should not happen.

Howdy all,

I bought an '02 with 12K on it. I checked out a lot of stuff, but the shift from 1st to 2nd is slightly "notchy." I've tried shifting gingerly, you know 3K rpm shift from 1st to 2nd, no load on the trans, etc. When I shift, it usually bumps a bit--not a grind, just 1-2 bumps through the linkage cables.

If I dbl clutch, the shifting is pristine.

It's going into Brookfield Acura shortly--when the weather, their schedule and my schedule cooperate. Any guesses on what I can expect--what's wrong and what'll it cost to fix?

Thanks to all.

pharma3
Please do a search, this has been addressed ad nauseum and there is a lot of information already available

Yup, synchromesh. I installed it in my 6spd along with a new clutch, magnetic drain plug, and new clutch hydraulics (ss clutch line kit soon to be installed also), it shifts very smoothly even on the occasional days i've taken it out in frigid temps. The 6spd does have a tendency towards notchiness in 2nd, especially when cold, and several owners have complained of a small grind when cold or shifted quickly, even with low miles (lessening the likelyhood of a worn hub selector/damaged synchro). Luckily i've never had that problem, but 2nd did feel a little 'blocky' to me with Honda MTF, so I switched (used it when I had my 5spd NSX also). Make sure you use 2qts FM and 1qt regular Synchromesh, i've tried it w/out the Friction Modified and it is not as smooth.

Is that an airplane emerging from a wormhole?

Yup, synchromesh. I installed it in my 6spd along with a new clutch, magnetic drain plug, and new clutch hydraulics (ss clutch line kit soon to be installed also), it shifts very smoothly even on the occasional days i've taken it out in frigid temps. The 6spd does have a tendency towards notchiness in 2nd, especially when cold, and several owners have complained of a small grind when cold or shifted quickly, even with low miles (lessening the likelyhood of a worn hub selector/damaged synchro). Luckily i've never had that problem, but 2nd did feel a little 'blocky' to me with Honda MTF, so I switched (used it when I had my 5spd NSX also). Make sure you use 2qts FM and 1qt regular Synchromesh, i've tried it w/out the Friction Modified and it is not as smooth.

Is that an airplane emerging from a wormhole?

How long have you used it (Eg miles)? and/or does anyone have any long term data on SM? (eg 25,000, preferrably 50,000 or more miles..?)
Given that there is very little long term data on SM in Acura NSX tranny, I'd be a bit weary before signing up my NSX with SM for life...

Personally, for those that haven't tried it ( I think there are few..) very , I'd recommend the new and improved Acura Transmission Oil before the SM. I'm going to put some in very shortly.

I used 100% GM FM, all 3 bottles. I don't think I need it but I used to grind occasionally when hard shifting 1st to 2nd. It didn't go away immediately, but it sorta just... disappeared a short time later like within the week or so. Not a sound since.

Wormhole...lol. It's actually the moment the plane breaks the sound barriar...pretty cool ugh. Anyway. I put both products in (as mentioned in my previous post) at about 52k and the car now has about 63k with no problems.

If the shifting is smooth with a double-clutch your 2nd gear synchros are not happy. Your 02 is probably out of warranty also. :frown: You could try the GM Synchromesh formula and see if it helps...do a search.

You're taking it to the right place. Talk to John Vasos there and he'll answer your questions.

You're taking it to the right place. Talk to John Vasos there and he'll answer your questions.

Uh, yeah. I talked with John many times. I've heeded his warning: Don't come here when it's cold. You might end up in a ditch! Now that it is getting toasty, I prefer to drive rather than fix. Oh well, I'll get up there later this week or early next.

In hindsight, the other comments similar to notchy shifting seem to make perfect sense. After a warmup, the 6spd shifts quite smoothly. Now if I could only master the gearbox. Practice, practice practice!

Sorry to bump this old topic but I feel that this is important relation information to share.

I recently switched to GM Synchromesh to solve the notchyness issue (Reading up on everyone's responses to it) and it worked amazinging but I was informed by LarryB that it was bad for the 5spd differential as he had serviced an NSX that used that cocktail tranny blend.

So I ended up going back to Honda "White cap" and all its notchy goodness. (All that tranny fluid down the drain.)

TL:DR Don't use GM Synchromesh on a 5spd tranny because it wears down the differential. GM Synchromesh works well though for getting rid of the notchyness. 6spds are fine with the blend.

Sorry to bump this old topic but I feel that this is important relation information to share.

I recently switched to GM Synchromesh to solve the notchyness issue (Reading up on everyone's responses to it) and it worked amazinging but I was informed by LarryB that it was bad for the 5spd differential as he had serviced an NSX that used that cocktail tranny blend.

So I ended up going back to Honda "White cap" and all its notchy goodness. (All that tranny fluid down the drain.)

TL:DR Don't use GM Synchromesh on a 5spd tranny because it wears down the differential. GM Synchromesh works well though for getting rid of the notchyness. 6spds are fine with the blend.

Larry says this is only the case for 1991-1994 5spds:

This is the case for 1991-94 5 speeds. The 1995 up have a revised differential, and the Syncromesh cocktail is fine for those.

HTH,
LarryB

I've been experiencing notchiness even after a change of transmission fluids. It's hard to reproduce though- seems to mostly happen when I am doing hard shifts so I figure maybe my timing is off. I wonder if double clutching would be a good habit in general to reduce this problem...

My transmission cocktail was mostly Pennzoil Synchromesh. I am so tempted to get a tranny rebuild but I guess it may make sense to understand the problem more before jumping to conclusions. I also get stuck in gears sometimes (4/5 mostly). Surprised to hear that it's a common issue.

The 6 speed definitely seems to have a reputation for being notchy. From personal experience, it is also a transmission that works much better when it is hot. Within limits, the hotter the better, particularly for that 1st to 2nd shift where it can balk on the upshift if the box is cold and you are sloppy in shifting. I think that is a pretty common phenomena. I don't think getting hung up in 4th or 5th is a common problem.

Are you sure that your clutch is not dragging a bit? Does it grind when going into reverse?

notchy shifting can happen if you are not using Honda oil, I tried a few gearbox oils and had the odd 4th to 5th notchy shifting before warm but when I went back to Honda Blue which is now white? it went away

Mine is a 5 speed. I guess it deserves a separate thread. The clutch will sometimes slip so maybe it is dragging- never thought that was a thing. No grinding in reverse.

Back