• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Utah – Official NSX Thread

Hello everybody. I am a happy new owner of a 1996 NSX. I picked it up in Denver last weekend after winning it on ebay at the minimum bid (which was a very good deal). It's stock except for rims, and in good condition. I had it checked out and the only major problem is the oil pan, which is dented from jacking the engine there. A not unusual problem, I'm told. I drove back from Denver very timidly, and through many violent thunderstorms, so haven't had the full NSX experience yet, but it does seem to have much potential. I assume that local get-togethers will be posted here? I wouldn't mind having an experienced NSX owner familiarize me with all the subtle noises, smells, and feelings of this car, just to make sure they're normal. In the meantime, anyone know anyone who wants a 1988 Supercharged MR2, in good shape? It's been very fun, but I don't think I can go back to it now.

Glen G.

Hey fellow Utah owners, I am shopping around to get some parts installed on my NSX. I asked one of the Acura Dealers in town for a quote and they want $1710.00 for the labor to install the NSX-R Chassis and Front Sway bar. I am still waiting for the second Acura Dealers quote and in the meantime thought I would see if any of you had your car worked on at any other shops. Any info would be apprecieated and helpful.

WOW. The bars are NOT HARD to put on. Why on earth would they charge so much shop time. Lets just say they charged a outrageous amount like $170 per hour they are still saying it would take 10 hours to install them and there is NO WAY it would take that long.

Talk to Joe at turbolab. I don't know his shop rate but in reality this is a 10 hour job TOPS, and at the going rate of $60/hour it in reality should only cost around $600.00 to be put on.

HECK if you can't find it for around $600.00 I'll just do it. I know I could use the money for my project. :biggrin: Speaking of projects here is a pick of the turbo. Tasty huh? GT40/88R in a .85 divided housing.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33900&d=1180064154

J. R.

Welcome Glen,
This thread is intended to keep the local owners up to speed on the current drives and get togethers. Hopefully we can get another drive lined up soon. Any Pics of your NSX?

Hello everybody. I am a happy new owner of a 1996 NSX. I picked it up in Denver last weekend after winning it on ebay at the minimum bid (which was a very good deal). It's stock except for rims, and in good condition. I had it checked out and the only major problem is the oil pan, which is dented from jacking the engine there. A not unusual problem, I'm told. I drove back from Denver very timidly, and through many violent thunderstorms, so haven't had the full NSX experience yet, but it does seem to have much potential. I assume that local get-togethers will be posted here? I wouldn't mind having an experienced NSX owner familiarize me with all the subtle noises, smells, and feelings of this car, just to make sure they're normal. In the meantime, anyone know anyone who wants a 1988 Supercharged MR2, in good shape? It's been very fun, but I don't think I can go back to it now.

Glen G.

Any body hitting Miller on Saturday. I will be taking ride alongs if anyone is interested. West track ...fast and scary. Please no more people puking in my car though. 506whp 2690 wet weight and hoosiers make pissed off Gt 3 owners fun to watch.

Any body hitting Miller on Saturday. I will be taking ride alongs if anyone is interested. West track ...fast and scary. Please no more people puking in my car though. 506whp 2690 wet weight and hoosiers make pissed off Gt 3 owners fun to watch.

Your car is "SICK" joe! So I guess its only fair that people get sick when they ride in it. :biggrin:

Have fun out there on the track.

J. R.

Thanks JR. I was able to run 1/2 of the first session with a clutch and therest in third gear :biggrin: Oh well at least i didnt have too many other problems like blowing a right front tire or catching the bumper on fire in down shifts...Oh wait that happened also. At least the guy with the GT3 straight from Porsche was in the back so i cant be that mad. Unfortunatly there was an Evo or two that was as fast but hopefully i will fix that by next track day. Damn Adam and Eric they always rain on my parade.

If any body is interested in serious suspension tuning, Robi-Spec will be at my shop on and off the month of July. He is awesome at corner-weighting and tuning the suspension around the driver for specific needs. His prices are resonable and he has lots of time with mid-engine rear wheel drive setups. PM for additional info and to schedule an appointment. Suspension and alignment are the keys to NSX success on the track.

Hello everybody. I am a happy new owner of a 1996 NSX.

Welcome!

If you have any questions regarding your NSX, please feel free to PM me or post in this thread. If I don't have the answers, more than likely I know someone who will.

I'm going to send out an email to all Utah NSX owners for a group drive in July. Unttil then, don't forget we meet most Saturday evenings at Starbucks at 5900 South State Street between the hours of 6:00 & 7:00pm.

My wife and I recently purchased property in a new resort community south of Moab. We plan to build our retirement home there and move out from Michigan in about 5-6 years.

My question is - should I plan on bringing the NSX along? Will I regret not being able to find parts & service out in the land of Jeeps and mountain bikes??

I am hoping that track events at Miller Motorsports park will be a viable deal. I am spoiled here in the midwest by having several tracks within 3-4 hours drive. I am an instructor with Porsche Club events and I cannot see giving up D.E. events as a way to fulfill the Need for Speed.

Any thoughts are welcome. I'll look forward to meeting you folks in a few years.

Cheers,
Roger

Hello again. I finally got around to waxing the NSX and taking some pictures. Hopefully I can get them to upload properly. It's all stock except for the rims. Was there a July drive? Any reason not to post events here as well as message people, for those people not on the distribution list?

I'm not interested in competitive racing, but I thought it would be a good idea, and fun, to get some driving instruction and try out the Miller track. Except that they want something like $800 for a one day course, and that's with your own car! And I thought flight instruction was expensive! Any chance of hooking up with someone at an open track day to get a few pointers? Also, I'm 6'4" and already scrunched with the top on. A helmet is not going to improve the fit. I doubt they allow taking the top off, so do I just have to live with neck cramps? Has anyone else had to deal with this problem?

To the guy from Michigan: I moved from Novi three years ago. Be prepared for better maintained roads, bumper-shredding parking lot entrances, and front license plates. Watch out for gravel and rocks (and deer) when driving in the mountains. I'm a brand new NSX owner so I can't tell you about service.

Glen G.

Attachments

• NSX11.jpg
    NSX11.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 81
  • NSX12.JPG
    NSX12.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 67
I was hoping to organize a group drive for July but this month is over:frown:

Let's schedule a group drive in August on a Saturday (08/04 ?) sometime in the morning. We have numerous options for a drive but one of the funnest drives we had last year was visiting the monks near Pineview reservoir for honey.

I'm open for any suggestions anyone may have for a group drive:smile:

PS - Glen, Sweet pictures of your NSX!

should I plan on bringing the NSX along?

I strongly suggest bring your NSX to Moab. In my opinion, the most beautiful scenery in Utah is near Moab. As you may already know, Moab is less then four hours away from Salt Lake City. Should you have problems with your NSX, one of the best technicians in the region works at Mike Hale Acura.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and I will help you out the best I can:smile:

Hello again. I finally got around to waxing the NSX and taking some pictures. Hopefully I can get them to upload properly. It's all stock except for the rims. Was there a July drive? Any reason not to post events here as well as message people, for those people not on the distribution list?

I'm not interested in competitive racing, but I thought it would be a good idea, and fun, to get some driving instruction and try out the Miller track. Except that they want something like $800 for a one day course, and that's with your own car! And I thought flight instruction was expensive! Any chance of hooking up with someone at an open track day to get a few pointers? Also, I'm 6'4" and already scrunched with the top on. A helmet is not going to improve the fit. I doubt they allow taking the top off, so do I just have to live with neck cramps? Has anyone else had to deal with this problem?

To the guy from Michigan: I moved from Novi three years ago. Be prepared for better maintained roads, bumper-shredding parking lot entrances, and front license plates. Watch out for gravel and rocks (and deer) when driving in the mountains. I'm a brand new NSX owner so I can't tell you about service.

Glen G.

Welcome to the board!!
So I see you live in Ogden, I live just south in Syracuse. Where did you pick up the car? Year? Miles? I know a guy down here in Syracuse had his for sale, but never followed up to see if he sold it.

I got it in Denver about two months ago. It's a '96, about 75,000 miles now. Hey everybody, being the newcomer, I would be happy to host a get-together any time this weekend, if anyone is interested in driving up to Ogden. Any other weekend this month probably won't work for me. Any takers?

Glen G.

Glen,
This weekend we were planning on some landscaping, If I can talk my wife out of it we would be up for something this weekend. I know she wants to see the Golden spike at promitory point. So depending on when you wanted to meet we could swing by since we will be up past Ogden. What day and time were you thinking?

I have no fixed plans for Saturday or Sunday. Morning is probably best if you want to visit the spike, and makes for a more comfortable drive. Anyone else? The more the merrier!

Glen G.

Glen,
This weekend we were planning on some landscaping, If I can talk my wife out of it we would be up for something this weekend. I know she wants to see the Golden spike at promitory point. So depending on when you wanted to meet we could swing by since we will be up past Ogden. What day and time were you thinking?

That's my neck of the woods. Count me in.

I have buy in from my wife, so Glen if you want to chart a course and indicate a time, (spike or not) we will be there. I'm coming up from West Jordan so It will take me a bit to get to Ogden too early in the morning. I have to factor in a Krispy Kreme Stop (every time we pass layton we have to stop - Wifes orders :biggrin: )

Last edited:
I have a plan. Why don't we all meet at Jeremiah's for breakfast on Sunday? It's right next to I-15. Take the 12th St. exit in Ogden and turn left (east), then an immediate right into the Best Western/Jeremiah's. They are usually pretty busy, but the food is good and I doubt we'll be in a hurry. There's road construction, too, of course. Shall we say 9:00? After breakfast we can head up to Promontory, and/or over North Ogden Divide, or wherever. You can call me at 920-7133 if you need further directions or feel the need to confirm your attendance. See you there!

Glen G.

Unfortunatley Sunday couts me out. I was hoping for Saturday.. I should have stated that in previous posts. :frown:

I'll be there.

Ethan and Brandon are you guys in? Someone should try and get a hold of John.

I'll call Jon tonight. I do not have Brandon's phone number however I'll will call Neil and a few other NSX owners. I'm real exited to finally see Promontory Point, Utah!

I'm in I just got back driving it down from seattle....but Sunday morning works for me. any one have the address for the restraunt.

Back