• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cheap NSX on EBAY

Hey guys, I need help with some questions....

I've been looking at an NSX on Ebay, its a 96 Auto with 46K on it, and its been at its present dealer (Patrick Motors of Auburn Mass) for a while now. Im not to kean on automatic, but the car is very cheap.

Question 1:
Has anyone seen/inspected/have any negative information on this vehicle?

Question 2:
The following description is on ebay: "This is a '96 Acura NSX. We bought this directly from Acura as an off lease car. Acura is required to notify us of any damage to the car that exceeds $500 during the course of the prior lease, and there was NO disclosure, this car is all original"

I ran a carfax and it showed that the vehicle was privately registered, not registered as a lease vehicle. Is there anyway I can verify the above claim?

TIA
Jeff

Carfax is not a reliable source... As for Ebay, it is a problematic source as well.

If you have any doubts about the pedigree of the vehicle, pass it by. An NSX that meets your needs will turn up closer to home than MA.

I have had good luck getting some very good deals on ebay, I think a lot of people are afraid of purchasing. If I were interested in the car you mention I would try and contact the dealer directly and bypass ebay, work out a good deal, then get a Acura dealer to check out the car. If you handle the transaction carefully you can end up with an excellent car at a great price.

Originally posted by SigEpUCI:
I've been looking at an NSX on Ebay, its a 96 Auto with 46K on it, and its been at its present dealer (Patrick Motors of Auburn Mass) for a while now. Im not to kean on automatic, but the car is very cheap.

I would not buy a car I wasn't very keen on... Is it really a good deal if you don't like it?

Another important thing to note is that , judging by the photos, this is NOT an NSX-T, it's a fixed-roof coupe. According to the numbers I have from Acura, there was only one Black/Tan coupe produced in 1996 and it was an automatic, so I guess this is that one car.

No, but I would absolutely not buy it without having it independently inspected by a knowledgeable person.

"This is a '96 Acura NSX. We bought this directly from Acura as an off lease car. Acura is required to notify us of any damage to the car that exceeds $500 during the course of the prior lease, and there was NO disclosure, this car is all original"

That is totally false. The car may be clean, but it could have been damaged and repaired. They are only required to indicate if it has a salvage title of any kind.

I ran a carfax and it showed that the vehicle was privately registered, not registered as a lease vehicle. Is there anyway I can verify the above claim?

Only if you can find the previous owner or someone who knows the car. Privately leased vehicles can still be registered as personal cars (as opposed to a commercial vehicle) which is why you still pay tax, etc. on them.

The car is a good price for sure(especially if it is,in fact, the only one of it's kind)..... The only thing that I'm worried about is that this car was just on e-bay and the reserve was met, meaning sold. And now it's right back on there again. Could be nothing, deal fell through or whatever, but kinda weird. I know many people around Auburn, MA as I am originally from there, and can have someone check it out for you if you are serious... Let me know.

------------------
nsx_02.jpg

Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Lud, thanks for the analysis... I had been in contact with the dealer for a while, and I had watched the auction develop. I too noticed that for a while, the reserve was met, and after it closed, bids were retracted. I suspected this might have been a scheme to run up the bids.... Anyhow, you guys are right, if your not keen on the car, your probably better off without it. Besides, I want a targa, and as you pointed out, its a coupe.

Nsxotic... thanks for the offering of help, but I am going to pass on this one.

Thanks again fellas
Jeff

I was top bidder on the car during the last aution. However, I did not meet the reserve price. He wants 40,000.00, his reserve, for the car.

Question 1:

Question 2:
The following description is on ebay: "This is a '96 Acura NSX. We bought this directly from Acura as an off lease car. Acura is required to notify us of any damage to the car that exceeds $500 during the course of the prior lease, and there was NO disclosure, this car is all original"

TIA
Jeff

[/B][/QUOTE]

i've bought many high-end used cars from dealers over the years. my final checkpoint is always to speak with the previous owner to review issues. universally, i've found previous owners very willing to discuss their thoughts. to me - no owner to speak with, no purchase - it's that simple.

be well and happy T-Day to all.

Another important thing to note is that , judging by the photos, this is NOT an NSX-T, it's a fixed-roof coupe.

The VIN confirms this. (On automatics, the 8th digit is a "6" on coupes, "8" on the NSX-T.)

Originally posted by SigEpUCI:

Question 2:

I think I know the car you are talking about.. FYI if you get a car with high milage plus a lease return.. dont expect that car to be in MINT conditon nor in reliable condition. I have been looking at an NSX for quite awhile now and always passed on looking at HIGH milaged NSX.. I saw a few of them and It was trashed/abused so my new look is for low milage NSX.

Back