• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY RHD Conversion Pics

The Cradle/mount for the Gear shift & Handbrake has 2 pins in the base to mount to the centre tunnel. I just had to move the mount to the left which located it in the correct position for RHD however I had to slot 3 of the existing holes & drill a new hole. This part is obviously cast for both RHD models then drilled & machined for either. so was pretty straight forward.

The Gearlever itself has a bit of a dogleg moving it over to the right. The mount & cables mount the same as LHD.

The Handbrake cables are directed to the handbrake mount slightly. I just had to slot one of the holes to direct it to other side.

Attachments

• ConsoleBracketMod.JPG
    ConsoleBracketMod.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 240
  • HBrakeBracketMod.JPG
    HBrakeBracketMod.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 207
  • HBrakeMt3.JPG
    HBrakeMt3.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 207
  • RHDshifter.JPG
    RHDshifter.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 231
  • HBrakeMt1.JPG
    HBrakeMt1.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
I also found that all the Pedals are totally different. I had planned to just move the LHD pedals across to the RH side the job done. So I was suprised to find that they didn't even go close. Unfortunatley I didn't take a photo of the differences but you can take my word for it.

On the LHD the Clutch pedal has it's own assembly & the Brake & the throttle pedal share the same mount/bracket. On the RHD all the pedals have their own assemblys/mounts.

I had to modify the Brake pedal mounting bracket for clearance as the shape is slightly different from side to side. Only because I chose not to cut this section of the Chassis.
The Clutch Pedal assembly mounted with no problems, although the LHD Clutch master cylinder pushrod was too short by an inch stranglely, I just made an extension & it works fine. (Very baffled why Honda make LHD & RHD clutch masters)

The Throttle pedal assembly mounted with no problems The LHD throttle cable is obviously too long for RHD I just routed it the long way round. I did find that the inner cable is 1/2" too long so I had to do a little mod to fix that too. but no real drama.

Attachments

• BrakePedalMod.jpg
    BrakePedalMod.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 233
  • BrakePedalMod2.jpg
    BrakePedalMod2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 240
I think the biggest Headache for the whole project was the wiring. again Honda do some strange things, which total threw me in the deep end.

Originally I had planned to use the LHD under Hood/bonnet wiring Harness. Just turn it upside down so to speak as all the fuse & relay boxes are the same & are made to accept the little mounting brackets on both sides. I though this will be easy. I just had to swap the turn signal pins & Abs speed sensor pins to the alternate sides.

Honda does not do this simple cost effective modification for LHD & RHD models!!! They make an entirely different harness with different connectors & different color codes.

So needless to say I had to buy a RHD under hood/loom to match the RHD interior loom. The LHD Rear & Engine bay Harness appear universal as everything is working fine. They connected straight up to the RHD Harness.

The interior Fuse box is in the same location for both LHD & RHD models.

The door harness's were the next problem. Again I though this will be easy. I just swap the door harness from Left to right & "Bob's your Uncle".
In reality it turns out "Bob" is a total stranger & no relation at all!

The Connectors are different & all the wires are in different positions. I spent hours under the dash re pining all the connectors to get everything working.

I also had to fit a RHD RHside window regulator as the drivers side has 4 wires & the passenger only 2. I was able to use the LHside LHD Drivers regulator I just changed the connector to use 2 wires instead of the 4 (the 2 blue wires. Yellow & red are not required)

Attachments

• regulator.JPG
    regulator.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 410
The interior was pretty straight forward again I found several things that I hadn't expected to be different between the LHD & RHD models.

1. The instrument cluster surround has the TCS & dimmer switch mirrored.
2. The steering column switch assembly are mirrored.
3. The center armrest box is offset & mirrored.
4. The centre rear speaker trim is offset
5 the seat runners are slightly offset. LHD drivers seat (now passenger) is touching the console & centre armrest. The RH seat not a problem. although I guess its meant to be slightly offset to the left. I don't notice anything driving though so I won't worry about it. I will move the now passenger seat slightly to the left t stop the rubbing on the console.

Attachments

• DSC01479.JPG
    DSC01479.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC01470.JPG
    DSC01470.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC01478.JPG
    DSC01478.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC01481.JPG
    DSC01481.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 489
  • DSC01483.JPG
    DSC01483.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 427
I've probably forgotten a lot of things during this project so just ask if there's anything your curious about.

some other points of interest;

The door mirrors are specific. RHD RHside mirror is required as the LHD RHside mirror is convex?, I kept the LHD LH side mirror as I could still get full sight & adjustment Not totally sure what the difference is but there are different Part numbers.
The Radiator is the same for both LHD & RHD
The Radiator Hard lines (front half) are different for clearance for whatever side the ABS unit is on.
The LH side upper radiator hose is the same for both models however the RHside lower is different for LH & RHD Models.
One Heater hose is different however I just cut & shortened it & it looks OEM
The Heater Tap & mounting bracket is different although I'm using the LHD one.
The sunvisors are mirrored
The Hood release, Engine Hatch release & fuel flap release are mirrored.
The Battery tray is offset, I had to move my battery over an inch to the left to clear the new RHD Radiator hard lines.
Wiper arms are different.

That's about It, I think.

I'm not doing another one that's for sure! Unless someone pays me lots of Money.

can't wait to see some finished project pictures! :biggrin:

jeez! nice work. that would be something that'll take me years and years to figure out. my friends and i did a rhd conv to an integra, but most of the stuff was pretty straight foward haha.

question...australia has RHD vehicles right? why didn't you locate a nsx that was already rhd?

Just imagine this project merged with Anil's Type R project.... :eek:

Btw, amazing job. Pretty ballsy conversion, aluminum ballsy! :biggrin:

question...australia has RHD vehicles right? why didn't you locate a nsx that was already rhd?[/QUOTE]

See my earlier post. If you do a search and compare prices between US and Australian NSX's you will realise why I chose to do this! Plus I've always liked a challenge!

damn this project is nuts!

It looks like the new passenger side (former driver's side) has more leg room as it did on the other side? very amazing work! any pics of the final product?? :biggrin:

That's a perfect example of why I sold my NSX that I had when I lived in the UK. Didn't even consider a conversion when I was moving back to the US. Just got another one here.

Congratulations. Great work.

I also found that all the Pedals are totally different. I had planned to just move the LHD pedals across to the RH side the job done. So I was suprised to find that they didn't even go close. Unfortunatley I didn't take a photo of the differences but you can take my word for it.

On the LHD the Clutch pedal has it's own assembly & the Brake & the throttle pedal share the same mount/bracket. On the RHD all the pedals have their own assemblys/mounts.

I had to modify the Brake pedal mounting bracket for clearance as the shape is slightly different from side to side. Only because I chose not to cut this section of the Chassis.
The Clutch Pedal assembly mounted with no problems, although the LHD Clutch master cylinder pushrod was too short by an inch stranglely, I just made an extension & it works fine. (Very baffled why Honda make LHD & RHD clutch masters)

The Throttle pedal assembly mounted with no problems The LHD throttle cable is obviously too long for RHD I just routed it the long way round. I did find that the inner cable is 1/2" too long so I had to do a little mod to fix that too. but no real drama.
hey man, i know you did this like a million years ago LOL but i see you're still active, and im getting ready to embark on an auto to manual conversion on a rhd nsx, and it seems the rhd clutch and brake pedals arent available from honda anymore. So, you said the LHD clutch pedal and bracket mounted up correctly? and pedal position was correct? thanks for any info

hey man, i know you did this like a million years ago LOL but i see you're still active, and im getting ready to embark on an auto to manual conversion on a rhd nsx, and it seems the rhd clutch and brake pedals arent available from honda anymore. So, you said the LHD clutch pedal and bracket mounted up correctly? and pedal position was correct? thanks for any info
The LHD Clutch pedal and Bracket is a completely different shape.
I'm looking at making RHD Clutch pedal Brackets when i get time.

I probably didn't explain my original post properly.
as I fitted a RHD Firewall I had to slightly modify the RHD Brake pedal Mount. The rest of the RHD pedal assemblies fitted with no problem.

Back