• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who is having problems posting?

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
David Allen was the first to report a problem posting messages here. Kendall reported a similar problem the other week. I am simply not able to duplicate the problem, so I'd like to get a discussion going among people who are having trouble so we can hopefully figure it out and get it fixed.

If you have had problems posting, please describe the problem you are having and your computer setup, particularly operating system, browser version, internet connection type and firewall, proxy server or other internet connection sharing (if any).

Also, what type of messages do you have the problem with? ALL messages? Only large messages (a couple hundred words)? Does breaking the message up into smaller pieces work?

Is the problem always repeatable - i.e. a large message NEVER works for you - or is it intermittent i.e. sometimes it works sometimes not.

Do you have the problem from one computer / location but not another?

Can you post to other UBB 5.4x message forums?

Finally, would some of the more technically savvy please run a tracert to www.nsxprime.com when they are experiencing the problem and post the results here so I can see if there are any big traffic problems between them and the server?

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 24 July 2002).]

I only have the problem when I try to make large posts - small posts work just fine.

I'm on a 1GHz x86 using WinXP (latest patches), IE 6.00.26, and I use ZoneAlarm - but I've tried turning it off to post and there appears to be no difference.

When I try to post a message that's too big, it just hangs on the CGI execution and times out after 1-2 minutes. Multiple attempts produce the same result.

Large messages never work for me.

I haven't tried posting from my other machine as of yet...

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

I don't have an XP machine handy for testing, but I posted a very large message in another thread for testing using Win2k and IE 5.x. Ken replied copying the whole message again, and I replied a third time copying the whole message yet again using IE 6.0.26 under Win2k.

I agree it shouldn't matter, but just FYI I am also using ZoneAlarm on this computer, though it is also behind the firewall here at work.

The very large test messages literally took maybe 3 seconds from the time I hit "submit" until I was on the "thanks for posting" screen.

I'm on a T1 right now, but I posted large test messages using 56k dial-up before when David first reported the problem to see if it was bandwidth-related.

At this point I am at a loss, as it seems unlikely that it is related to running Windows XP on the poster's machine, but I welcome further information and reports of problems to try and narrow it down!

Large post on XP IE 6.0.26 no problem I will edit all this away later, Or Lud can do it if he wants.

It did hang once I copied this entire page then just kept pasting about 15 times. I am on a cable modem. Tried it a second time and it worked

8:28 pm my time I got a page cannot be displayed (for http://www.nsxprime.com )retried again it worked. It happened twice earlier today.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 24 July 2002).]

Lud,

It is 100% repeatable for me. I just tried pasting together my "Home Depot" post and it wouldn't go through... just says "waiting for reply".

I have W2K SP2. Explorer 5.0. DSL via a wireless laptop through Linksys hub. (80211.b)

Well, Home Depot has entered the race to supply aftermarket parts for BBSC owners! MB has said that in recent tests, engine compartment temperatures in the NSX can reach 270 degrees or more at the air filter box
location. For you BBSC owners, that means that you are ingesting air as high as 270 degrees or more and then
you are compressing it. Now we all learned in physics 101 that compressing a gas can really generate a lot of
additional heat. We also learned that the hotter air is, the less you can get in any given volume. Finally, we
know that heat will cause you to be more susceptible to pinging.

OK, I suppose it was these factors and others that caused Home Depot to begin stocking parts to our cars
(BBSC owners).

You'll need the following parts. (They keep these near the "waste water" fittings section just to fool
everyone.)

1. Get 2 90-degree 3" rubber connectors
2. Get 1 3" SS band connector with two straps
3. Get 1 white 3" thin-walled connector

(See Part 2 - Next)
Jack up your car and use a jack stand. For any of you who haven't gone out to buy the $169 all aluminum
low-height floor jack at Harbor Freight, now would be a good time. Here's a pic
Aluminum Jack

Remove your left rear wheel and then take out your fender liner. Unlike many other fenderliners, this one is
REAL easy to remove. Take out the srews at the leading and traing edge and then depress the center of each
of the black clips about 1/8" and they can be pulled right out. Next, remove the factory air filter silencer
tubes.

(See Part 3)
Take one of the 90 deg elbows, remove the clamp from one end. Fold this end in on itself reducing the overall
diameter and shove it through the factory hole in the fender. (You shouldn't have removed the plastic liner for
this hole since it will help your new tube not to be cut.) Once through, work in the wheel well and attach your
BBSC-supplied air filter and clamp it in place on the elbow using the strap that comes on the elbow. Position
the filter and elbow such that you make as much room as possible for the liner to go back in. Use a large wire
tie to secure the filter to the vent tube from the gas filler and make sure the filter can't rattle against the
inside of the fender.

Now, working on the top side, put the BBSC-supplied 30-deg elbow piece on the Paxton. Getting your second
90-deg elbow, hold it directly above but "squared" against the 90-deg elbow you just put through the fender.

(See Part 4)

Mark this second elbow with a Sharpie or similar where you want it to butt square with the 30-degree BBSC
piece. Essentially, this last piece butts up with the piece through the fender and also with the 30-degree BBSC
piece. Once you've confirmed your mark, cut it using a razor or knife. Use the thin-wall plastic connector to
connect the two 90-degree elbows together and use the BBSC supplied metal connector to join the end you
just cut with the BBSC 30-degree piece. Finally, use the SS band connector at this last joint. Put the fender
liner back in and you are done.

Here are some pics to help you visualize what I've written:

Here's a pic of the only cut elbow and a "whole", uncut elbow. Hoses

Here's a pic of the Air Filter

Finally, here's the pic of the Engine Bay
Sorry everyone for the piecemeal posting. There's a problem that Lud seems to be aware of with longer posts
that just don't work unless you break them up.

Anyway, to all the BBSC owners, this is a mod that you will REALLY feel. Basically, this mod will allow your
engine to ingest air some 150 degree cooler than engine compartment air. It is very worthwhile - but feel free
to do it your own way, but you'll be glad you did!!

Edit: No problems at all, Win ME, Netscraper 4.79 and two cans w/ string - errr, I mean, dial-up.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 25 July 2002).]

Well, Home Depot has entered the race to supply aftermarket parts for BBSC owners! MB has said that in
recent tests, engine compartment temperatures in the NSX can reach 270 degrees or more at the air filter box
location. For you BBSC owners, that means that you are ingesting air as high as 270 degrees or more and then
you are compressing it. Now we all learned in physics 101 that compressing a gas can really generate a lot of
additional heat. We also learned that the hotter air is, the less you can get in any given volume. Finally, we

OK, I suppose it was these factors and others that caused Home Depot to begin stocking parts to our cars
(BBSC owners).

You'll need the following parts. (They keep these near the "waste water" fittings section just to fool
everyone.)

(See Part 2 - Next)
Jack up your car and use a jack stand. For any of you who haven't gone out to buy the $169 all aluminum
Aluminum Jack

Remove your left rear wheel and then take out your fender liner. Unlike many other fenderliners, this one is
REAL easy to remove. Take out the srews at the leading and traing edge and then depress the center of each
of the black clips about 1/8" and they can be pulled right out. Next, remove the factory air filter silencer
tubes.

(See Part 3)
Take one of the 90 deg elbows, remove the clamp from one end. Fold this end in on itself reducing the overall
diameter and shove it through the factory hole in the fender. (You shouldn't have removed the plastic liner for
this hole since it will help your new tube not to be cut.) Once through, work in the wheel well and attach your
BBSC-supplied air filter and clamp it in place on the elbow using the strap that comes on the elbow. Position
the filter and elbow such that you make as much room as possible for the liner to go back in. Use a large wire
tie to secure the filter to the vent tube from the gas filler and make sure the filter can't rattle against the
inside of the fender.

Now, working on the top side, put the BBSC-supplied 30-deg elbow piece on the Paxton. Getting your second
90-deg elbow, hold it directly above but "squared" against the 90-deg elbow you just put through the fender.

(See Part 4)

Mark this second elbow with a Sharpie or similar where you want it to butt square with the 30-degree BBSC
piece. Essentially, this last piece butts up with the piece through the fender and also with the 30-degree BBSC
piece. Once you've confirmed your mark, cut it using a razor or knife. Use the thin-wall plastic connector to
connect the two 90-degree elbows together and use the BBSC supplied metal connector to join the end you
just cut with the BBSC 30-degree piece. Finally, use the SS band connector at this last joint. Put the fender

Sorry everyone for the piecemeal posting. There's a problem that Lud seems to be aware of with longer posts

Anyway, to all the BBSC owners, this is a mod that you will REALLY feel. Basically, this mod will allow your
engine to ingest air some 150 degree cooler than engine compartment air. It is very worthwhile - but feel free

Edit: No problems at all, Win ME, Netscraper 4.79 and two cans w/ string - errr, I mean, dial-up.
Well, Home Depot has entered the race to supply aftermarket parts for BBSC owners! MB has said that in
recent tests, engine compartment temperatures in the NSX can reach 270 degrees or more at the air filter box

(BBSC owners).

everyone.)

(See Part 2 - Next)
Aluminum Jack

tubes.

(See Part 3)
inside of the fender.

(See Part 4)

(BBSC owners).

everyone.)

(See Part 2 - Next)
Aluminum Jack

tubes.

(See Part 3)
inside of the fender.

(See Part 4)

(BBSC owners).

everyone.)

(See Part 2 - Next)
Aluminum Jack

tubes.

(See Part 3)
inside of the fender.

(See Part 4)

(BBSC owners).

everyone.)

(See Part 2 - Next)
Aluminum Jack

tubes.

(See Part 3)
inside of the fender.

(See Part 4)

(BBSC owners).

everyone.)

(See Part 2 - Next)
Aluminum Jack

tubes.

(See Part 3)
inside of the fender.

(See Part 4)

just cut with the BBSC 30-degree piece. Finally, use the SS ban

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

I'm thinking large posts are not the real problem...

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Lud, I have several instances where I had trouble posting.

There is no pattern to the problem as it seems to be random in nature for me.

Also, sometimes I have to wait quite a while from the time I hit "submit" to the time the "thank you for posting..." screen appears.

Other times, I would hit "submit", wait for a VERY LONG time, and then get some error message (sorry, I don't remember exactly what the error message was) that prevents me from posting.

I am running XP / Netscape on a DSL connection.

I've been hit by this same problem as well. Today I had to break up my post into 2 messages in order to get it accepted. (Otherwise, it would just hang with the "Awaiting Reply" message at the bottom of the browser).

I've also hit this problem on one other site as well which potentially uses the same forum system. (www.hometheaterspot.com, a wonderful audio/video enthusiast site.)

Lud, if you have made no changes to the software/system for several months, then I am wondering if it could have something to do with DSL?? I've never had this problem in the past and have posted large messages before, but a few weeks ago upgraded from 56k modem to a DSL line. I think others who had the problem here also said they had DSL. I know little about 'net technology but could it have something to do with DSL dynamic IP's?

Marc

I have another problem. Today I seem to have double/triple posted on a thread.

When I submitted the form, I never received an HTTP response back and got a 404. Thinking that I did not send the payload to the CGI, I hit the back button and resubmitted.

I eventually gave up, only to return back to the thread later in the evening with multiple duplicate posts.

<a name=matt>

Ok guys, bear with me.

This may not work, but it's worth a try (at this point it is the only thing I can think of.)

This is for anyone who can reproduce the posting issue (true, electro, kpond, etc.) Follow the below steps and see if this works.

1) Reproduce the problem by trying to reply to this thread with approximately the smallest amount of text that causes the problem.

2) Close all of your browser windows and save any documents that you may also be editing.

3) Go to the control panel (Start > settings > control panel).

4) Select 'Internet Options'

5) On the 'General' pane (which should be the default pane), click on the 'Delete Files' button in the 'Temporary Internet Files' box.

6) Select the 'Delete all offline content' option and press 'OK'

6) Go to your kitchen and make a sandwich (this may take a while).

7) When it is done deleting your temporary internet files, press 'Apply' and 'OK' on the window that had the 'Delete Files' button.

8) Open a browser window, return to this thread, and attempt to submit the same message that didn't work in step 1

9) Reply to the thread with your results, be it a success or not.

Good Luck,

Matt

[This message has been edited by milz50 (edited 13 February 2003).]

Originally posted by hyuan:
I have another problem. Today I seem to have double/triple posted on a thread.

When I submitted the form, I never received an HTTP response back and got a 404. Thinking that I did not send the payload to the CGI, I hit the back button and resubmitted.

I eventually gave up, only to return back to the thread later in the evening with multiple duplicate posts.

This happened to me today, too. Every once in a while, NSXprime seems to go through a period when response time - particularly to postings - is verrrrrrrrry slow. Today is one of those days. The slow response seems to cause this multiple posting condition. For example, what I did today was: I submitted a post; the PC sat for a long time waiting for a response; I closed the browser; I went back to that topic to refresh and see if the post had been accepted; when it was not there, I posted it again; and only THEN did BOTH posts appear. So apparently the post is being initiated properly at my end, but it is taking the NSXprime server a long time to process the post and update the topic. I can see how your PC might time out and indicate a 404 for this, but eventually the post is being accepted at the NSXprime end.

Back