• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Importing NSX From Canada to Australia

I bought an NSX from a fellow Prime member last year and am now facing a dilemma: I'm considering an opportunity that will require me to live in Australia for one year, but what do I with with my NSX?

My first choice would be to bring it with me, but I don't know how practical this would be.

Does anyone have any direction they can offer?

Many thanks in advance.

I once looked into importing a S600 from New Zealand to Iceland. Shipping was somewhere around $2000-2500.

New Zealand -> Holland -> Iceland

It might be cheaper for you to have the car shipped for western Canada to Australia.

Unless money is not an option I would just store the car in Canada while you are away. Then I would buy a Skyline R32 while in Aussie country.

Unless money is not an option I would just store the car in Canada while you are away.

Agreed. A couple of American expats here have brought their NSXs out and converted them to RHD, if you search the Intl part of the forum you should find all the info there.

But basically - it's expensive and time consuming - you'd really have to own a very special NSX and be staying here for several years to make it worthwhile.

NSXs are difficult to sell in a hurry here so I would warn you away from buying one upon your arrival. You might be better off finding something fun to lease for 12 months.

Definitely keep it. 1 year will pass by in a flash.

But if you end up staying longer, you may not be able to import it later free of taxes because of the time lag. Assuming you become an official resident.
Then again, you may be able to, because you already own it now, so maybe there is no time lag…
Better ask about that.
And if you do end up staying longer and importing it, you still have a LHD car which is not so nice in a RHD country.

So then if you want an RHD NSX in Oz, move “officially” out of Oz, say back to Canada or the UK, buy a UK model for a “normal” price (UK prices there are roughly the same as in the US), then “move” back into Oz with the UK RHD car as a personal possession that you owned for 6 months (I think it is 6 months for a car). Or buy one now, before you go. You may be able to double your money after a year or so in Oz.
voila. RHD and no tax and double your money. Some more of the Ossie guys will know more about that, it has been a while since I was in Oz.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...=0&ukcarsearch_full.x=42&ukcarsearch_full.y=5
(Pick “National” and put CT14 0JA as postcode)

So then if you want an RHD NSX in Oz, move “officially” out of Oz, say back to Canada or the UK, buy a UK model for a “normal” price (UK prices there are roughly the same as in the US), then “move” back into Oz with the UK RHD car as a personal possession that you owned for 6 months (I think it is 6 months for a car). Or buy one now, before you go. You may be able to double your money after a year or so in Oz.

Personal imports into Oz require that you own the car at least a year AND can back up the fact that you actually used it (gas receipts, insurance, repairs with the Odometer readings.) Simply keeping the car isnt enough. They will also look at your passport to make sure you and the car were in the same country for that year it was being used.

Ah, pity.
They have tightened up the rules. Years ago it was easier (like, more than 20 years ago when I was there).
Pity.
Why don’t they relax the rules instead of make them harder? Is it that necessary to protect the Ozzy auto industry so much? Everyone knows protection doesn’t work, it just makes the home products worse.

Of course, if you were to travel back and forth to the UK, get someone else to use your credit card for gas receipts, etc, you could double your money. Say, buy a Ferrari, US$150,000. Do that for a year, maybe cost you US$15,000 in costs. Then import it as a personal possession and sell it for nearly double…make $US100,000 per year. Not bad for jet setting around for a year…
I’ll tell you what, I live in Belgium and go to the UK often I have a UK credit card too. Residency is very easy now because UK is in the EU.
Does someone want to buy a UK NSX or Ferrari? Or both? After a year we ship them to Oz and make $US100,000 on the Ferrari and US$10,000 on the NSX. I’ll use the credit card and produce some service receipts, the car will stay in storage (mostly) and there we go.
With that profit I will arrange a job or business in Oz, “move” there for a while and we do it all over again.
People could make a living off these high taxes…

regarding importing your car to Australia . You would need to be living overseas for a continuous period [proof of residency and reg in yr name ] of 3 months to qualify as a PERSONAL IMPORT or a PERMIT TO DRIVE meaning that u can drive the car over here if u want to and then latter on take the car back . I advise not to bring the car to Ozz as they donot hold there value here very well because u cannot feel just how good the NSX drives as our roads out here are cattle tracks compared to other parts of the world. Recently the price of second hand cars has had a major crash[ as i use to buy and sell cars ] . U would need to put the car on a permit to drive it over here and place a sticker on the bumper LEFT HAND DRIVE the taxes r pretty high to do this but r only partily refunded when u return overseas. give u an idea of prices a very good 91 NSX with service history no marks fully opted " AS NEW " selling 4 $60 k audollars or a 22k one oner 2000 model 4 $90 audollars. Would personally store vehicle [with relos ] and buy thrasher over here say nissan gtr import $25-$35 kaus depending on specs .Drop me a line when u intend coming over as i live in SYDNEY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CITY IN THE WORLD [one eyed] and i will be able to help u out'regards Glenn

Sadly our rules are tight because the government feels we already have too many NSX's. :rolleyes:

Where abouts in Australia will you be moving too?

…. and place a sticker on the bumper LEFT HAND DRIVE …
Yeah, I saw that when I was there. Pretty ugly.
Absolutely gotta get a UK car

Sadly our rules are tight because the government feels we already have too many NSX's. :rolleyes:

Where abouts in Australia will you be moving too?

I'll be heading to Melbourne.

Actually, we've come up with a new arrangement: stay in Australia for three months, then back to Canada for three, then back to Australia, and so on.

So it looks like I'll be able to enjoy my car for at least some of the year.

Also, I looked into buying an NSX in Australia...very expensive...don't think I'll be doing that!

There are exceptions to the general NSX pricing here:

There is a blk/blk Auto NSX advertised in the Melbourne Herald Sun newspaper for AU$38,500 with 18" rims all round and only 40,000km on the clock. Apparently in "like new cond" which makes me wonder why it's by far the cheapest NSX advertised in the whole country.

OQQO keeps telling us how good Auto NSXs are. How the gearing means you can run all the way to 726 km/h in 2nd gear whilst other people are busy fiddling with their sticks.

I assume you've got to have some kind of wheels while you're here.... don't discount a NSX just because of the asking prices you see, most of those ads have been there for a long time indeed. We need another NSX on our Melbourne cruises!

Regardless, drop me a line if I can help out or if you'd like to meet up when you're here.

Awesome... Melbourne is the NSX capital of Australia. :) Hope we have an opportunity to meet.

OQQO keeps telling us how good Auto NSXs are. How the gearing means you can run all the way to 726 km/h in 2nd gear whilst other people are busy fiddling with their sticks.

Wrong Mike. It's AU_NSX that does 726km in his TT. :D

Back