• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY - Upgrading NSX brakes to Racing Brake kits

Good idea but watch the max pad depth as most of these disks run with a narrow track.
Another potential option would be to use the disks used on the rear of some Mitsubishi models as I believe the wheel stud spacing is identical to the NSX?
The AP Racing online catalog mentions that they use the 304X25 dimension but no offset is given?
https://www.apracing.com/product_de...vo_5_and_6-rear_4_piston_kit_cp4556-1000.aspx

Last edited:
I just noticed this brake upgrade thread started a decade ago and still going - Same as our brake kits, designed and built with lasting durability and value.
Along with our Carbon Ceramic brake introduction to G1 and G2 (also for iron conversion), NSX brake offer is receiving an update, so feel free to let us know what you like to see and have and we will review the feasibility to make it happen.

For example, grinding the inner groove edge of the caliper for BBK is required due to geometry change, and to keep the cost down (& OE integrity). But we know it may not for someone, so we will have an option to have these calipers modified by us for a direct bolt on. Yes we can do that, just let us know.

Last edited:
I still have the larger RB rotors on my car, 324x28mm front, 330x23mm on the rear.
The fronts are due to be replaced for the second time, but this is to be expected. They've seen about 15.000 km on the road and about 6 track-days.
I used Hawk HPS pads for a while, but felt they performed less than the Hawk HP+ pads. So last time, I switched back to the Hawk HP+ pads again, even though they are harder on the rotors. They also dust a lot more, but I kinda solved that problem by having my wheels powdercoated to a dark color.
The dust is still there of course, but you don't see it as much.

The rear rotors are still fine. Obviously, the rear brakes don't nearly do as much work as the front so they last longer. And the 330x23mm do last a long time.

Am still thinking to get the RB calipers for the front as well. Will do this later this year I think.

But first, I am going to replace my ABS with the later type NSX-R ABS system.

Does this kit use the OE size pads or are they different?

Any other options for replacement rotors? regarding the rear rotors do you have 303 or 330? your original DIY notes 303 but now you cite 330 or am I misreading?

Does this kit use the OE size pads or are they different?

Any other options for replacement rotors? regarding the rear rotors do you have 303 or 330? your original DIY notes 303 but now you cite 330 or am I misreading?

It's been many, many years, but IIRC, the rotor upgrade uses the OEM pad sizes. However, if you do the full caliper/rotor upgrade, you have to use the RB pads.

Gotcha. So you have the NA2 bigger factory brakes. That's currently what I run. I thought perhaps you had the NA1 brakes which then you'd see a bigger net improvement by going with the RB. Not sure what your goal is, but the NA2 brakes are pretty decent with added cooling and better pads. If you're looking for aesthetic improvement I get it... but if you're looking for performance and to save money, I'd look into cooling ducts and more aggressive pad compounds.

To answer your question which I believe was answered by [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION], the 1st tier RB upgrade is to bump up the rotor size and to include a floating rotor design, but they include their own proprietary caliper bracket that allows the use for the OEM caliper with their upsized rotor setup. Both are welcome improvements but I'll have to admit.. the metal RB uses in their rotor is just average. They wear out quicker than stock, though they cool better and add about 12-15% more stopping power (not as much as you'd think).

Hope that helps!

Gotcha. So you have the NA2 bigger factory brakes. That's currently what I run. I thought perhaps you had the NA1 brakes which then you'd see a bigger net improvement by going with the RB. Not sure what your goal is, but the NA2 brakes are pretty decent with added cooling and better pads. If you're looking for aesthetic improvement I get it... but if you're looking for performance and to save money, I'd look into cooling ducts and more aggressive pad compounds.

To answer your question which I believe was answered by [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION], the 1st tier RB upgrade is to bump up the rotor size and to include a floating rotor design, but they include their own proprietary caliper bracket that allows the use for the OEM caliper with their upsized rotor setup. Both are welcome improvements but I'll have to admit.. the metal RB uses in their rotor is just average. They wear out quicker than stock, though they cool better and add about 12-15% more stopping power (not as much as you'd think).

Hope that helps!

+1

The 97+ brakes really solved the issue on the NSX. Honda realized that the 91-96 setup had too much front bias, but this behavior would only really show itself at speed on the track. Hard braking would transfer too much weight forward and unload the rear tires. If you add steering input at this point, the car will oversteer. That is why they increased the size of the rear caliper piston and rear rotor so much. My issue with the RB and other BBK (except Stoptech) is that they move the bias back to the front of the car. If you're having fade/modulation issues at the track, I'd try better pads, fluid and cooling before changing rotor sizes.

This kit allows you to put even larger rotors: https://racingbrake.com/nsx-irk-03

298F 303R goes to 324F 330R

the 91-96 size is 282F&R

if it works with OE size pads, that's great
That kit works with the OE Calipers and therefore the OE pads as well. It's a bit pricey for what you get IMO but it's nice to have that option! The stock NSX calipers are underrated IMO. I have to say.. .i've gone thru 3 different BBKs and the part I don't miss was having to use aftermarket e-brakes setups. They work.. but not as well as the OEM rear calipers.

Good luck!

Also, slightly more costly, but perhaps also higher grade is...
http://www.rf-yamamoto.com/NSXbrake/top.html

Cost more too...

Wow, I really like that set up bc you're still using the OE brackets so it should be perfect fitment. But yeah that's pretty pricey for what you're getting. Plus it's hard to order in Japanese....for me anyways.

Just go with the Stoptech BBK and call it a day. I've run the ST front and rear BBK for several years now and many, many track days. Even with the included pads the ST BBK is more than capable on the track. I can only imagine how much more brake force can be achieved with a race oriented pad. The ST-40 calipers have a wide selection of pad compounds available. Great thermal capacity with the large calipers and rotors. Bonus is the rear parking brake option ST has. No need for a kluged hack to get a parking brake solution.

Grinding calipers, inadequate clearances, high pad wear, continuous maintenance, more downtime than track time - total waste of time IMO.

Last edited:
Just go with the Stoptech BBK and call it a day. I've run the ST front and rear BBK for several years now and many, many track days. Even with the included pads the ST BBK is more than capable on the track. I can only imagine how much more brake force can be achieved with a race oriented pad. The ST-40 calipers have a wide selection of pad compounds available. Great thermal capacity with the large calipers and rotors. Bonus is the rear parking brake option ST has. No need for a kluged hack to get a parking brake solution.

Grinding calipers, inadequate clearances, high pad wear, continuous maintenance, more downtime than track time - total waste of time IMO.
Agreed the STs are good but sometimes it's a question of wheel to caliper clearance. Not sure what OP's situation is but the Stoptechs are great.

15mm spacer in the front 25mm in the rear the ST fit behind stock wheels 02 wheels don’t they?

Last edited:
15mm spacer in the front 25mm in the rear the ST fit behind stock wheels 02 wheels don’t they?

Yes - factory Acura / Honda 2002-2005 wheels require 15mm spacer front, 25mm spacer rear for the Stoptech BBK.

Back