• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY - Upgrading NSX brakes to Racing Brake kits

MvM

Legendary Member
One of the things I always wanted to do was upgrading the brakes of my NSX.
I like to drive the car fast and there have been moments that I wasn't really satisfied with the OEM brakes. When I upgraded the OEM brakes, the first thing I did was upgrade the brake-pads from OEM to the Axxis Ultimate pads, then using a higher grade fluid and mounting stainless steel brake lines.
After that I bought a set op the Stoptech Aerorotors in the OEM size. These modifications brought the braking capacity of the NSX to a higher level and when used correctly the brakes performed excellently, not only on the street but on the occasional track day as well.
However, when doing brake-testing I found out it still took a while before the brakes reached their maximum grip when braking hard. So I searched for a way to improve my brakes further.

I decided to go for the upgrade kits from Racing Brake. I ordered a set of the two-piece big-brake kit with the 324x28mm rotor for the front and for economy reasons the one-piece rotor kit in the 303x23mm 1997+ OEM size for the rear. To supplement this I also bought a set of the Hawk HP+ pads to use as well.
Together with a friend, who admittedly did most of the work, the new brakes were fitted last week.
First, the car was lifted. I took some pictures with the old brakes for comparison, first the front with the Stoptech rotors and the rear with the OEM rotors. The original brake rotor sizes are 282x28mm in front and 282x21mm for the rears.

Brake1.JPG

Brake2.jpg

We started with the rear brakes because of the hand brake there. This is what the old brake rotor looked like.

Brake3.jpg

The hand brake is protected by a plastic caliper shield held with two 8mm bolts. Remove this cap. Then remove the split locking pin and then push the clevis pin holding the hand brake cable upwards and out. This is a bit tricky because there is very little space to remove the clevis pin. Then remove the cable clip and pull the hand brake cable back and out of the way. Make sure you don't bend it.
Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the caliper just like you would when changing your brake pads. Then take of the caliper and hang it by a wire so the brake line will not be unnecessarily stressed.
Remove the original brake caliper bracket. It is held with two 12mm bolts like shown in the following picture.

Brake4.jpg

Remove the bolts and then the bracket. You will have to remove the sliding pin and the rubber pin boot and put them on and in the new bracket. This turned out to be very easy. The old and the new bracket can be seen here with the new and larger bracket on the right.

Brake7.jpg

The rotor is fixed with two locking screws. These cannot be removed with an ordinary screwdriver, you will have to use an impact screwdriver to get them loose. However, in my case both had to be drilled out because the impact screwdriver would just destroy the screw heads. Drill out the head and the rotor will then come straight. The remaining part of the locking screw was then easy to remove.

Brake5.jpg

With the old rotor off, it was easy to see the difference between the 282x21mm and the 303x23mm size.

Brake6.jpg

You will need a steel brush to remove the rust of the brake hub to make sure the new rotor will mount flush with the hub. Then, put on the rotor and, if you want to, fix the rotor with two (new) locking screws.
Then simply bolt on the new bracket.

Brake8.jpg

At first I thought getting the caliper on would be difficult because the new rotor is thicker than the old one by 2mm, especially because I was also using new pads. Before mounting the caliper you will have to turn in the brake piston all the way. Then place the new brake pads in their respective slots together with the brake shims. Use a little bit of grease between the pads and the shims. Then mount the caliper with its two bolts and test if the rotor can turn freely without touching anything but the brake pads.

Brake9.jpg

Reconnecting the hand brake turned out to be the hardest part of the rear job. There is very little space to get the clevis pin into its proper hole especially since you have to keep the hand brake lever under tension to get it in. I think it took as close to twenty minutes to get the pin in. An extra pair of hands comes in very handy here. Once it's in of course, the rest is easy. Make sure all bolts are tightened with the correct torque and then put the caliper shield back on.

Next step was to replace the front rotors which were, as said before, the Stoptech Aerorotors. I can highly recommend these rotors for those who do not want to do an upgrade in rotor size. For the rest, the procedure for the front rotors is even easier than for the rears because there is no hand brake.
With both the caliper and bracket removed, this is what the Stoptech rotor looked like. The red stuff is a little left over spray paint that I used to touch up the brakes. Removing the rotors was relatively easy because the locking screws were not as tight as the rear ones.

Brake14.JPG

Here are the old OEM brackets and the new Racing Brake ones. It is easy to see the increase in width for the new one. Please note, I had painted the brackets red in advance, when delivered they had a black finish.

Brake10.jpg

Remove the sliding pins and boots from the old brackets and put them on the new ones. I was actually a little surprised to see how well these parts looked because they have to stand a lot of heat under heavy braking but both parts looked and felt just fine.

Brake12.JPG

With the OEM sized rotors removed the difference in size with the new Racing Brake 324x28mm rotors is very obvious to see. If you take a close look at the Racing Brake rotor you can see the open space between the rotor and the hub. This should make the cooling effect of the internal curved vanes even more efficient.

Brake15.JPG

Again, remove the rust on the hub with a steel brush and put the rotor on. The bigger 2-piece rotors do not come with holes for the locking nuts which was a little surprise. So, for testing the fit, just put on two wheel nuts on the stubs to hold the rotor tight. Putting on the bracket is simple down the two 12mm bolts.
Now comes the more difficult part. Because the rotor is so much larger than the OEM sized rotor, the caliper will come in contact with the rotor on both the top and lower edge. We used a Dremel tool and file to remove some of the excess material from the caliper to make the caliper fit.

Brake16.JPG

Also, the retainer clips and pad spring can also hit the rotor. The pad spring can be bend a little backwards with a pair of pliers. Putting on the caliper then is easy. Don't forget to push back the pistons though. Since I did already have the stainless steel brake lines I did not need the SS brake lines that were supplied with the kit. However, the lines were a very tight fit and together with the thick, new Hawk pads made fitting the caliper not that easy. The final result looks like this.

Brake17.JPG

The last step of course was putting on the wheels. Please make sure you clean the brakes with brake cleaner and remove all the old brake dust as much as possible. With the wheels on, the final results looks like this.

Brake18.JPG

Brake112.JPG

The new brakes fill the wheel space nicely, don't you agree ??

Then, of course, came the test drive. Immediately we noticed a loud and strange noise from the front brakes. It sounded like a small siren. First, we thought it was just cause by the retainer clips but when we checked, we found that the edge of the front calipers would still touch the rotor. So, the car was jacked up again, the wheels removed and both calipers were taken off. With a grinding tool we had to remove quite a lot material from upper and lower edge from the calipers to make sure they would not touch the rotor again. We then also took of the retainer clips. This stuff is made from thin, hard and flexible spring steel. We cut of the edge in the middle with pliers and then the fit was perfect. We then put everything back on. This time, there was no noise and the car braked fine.
We then cleaned up everything. Working with the brakes leaves a lot of brake dust which is not very healthy stuff so take a little care with that.

Now, of course, you will all want to know how the new brakes perform.

Well, after one week of driving all I can see that they are SIMPLY AMAZING. Mind you, I have not done the final testing yet, but the difference with OEM is more than I expected. The Hawk HP+ pads probably play their part as well of course, but even then, the results are even better than I expected.
With these brakes (and pads) it is simply SO easy to lock up the front wheels and get the ABS hitting in. With the old brakes, even with the Axxis Ultimate pads, Stoptech rotors and SS-lines, I had to use more pedal pressure to get some firm decelleration. Now, I get really instant response with much less pedal pressure. Firm braking at 100 mph immediately results in squealing tires approaching their adhesion limit. When I am sure the pads have been bedded in (yes, I followed the procedure but have to wait for better weather) I will do new brake testing and post the results soon.
For those who are wondering how the brake balance is, well, the smaller rear rotors so far don't seem to make that much of a difference but I have not reached my final answer on that yet.
For those who would like some extra braking potential, I highly recommended this upgrade from Racing Brake.

Or course, I put all the parts on a scale that. You will have to remember that the old rotors have seen some use so they are lighter than bright and shiny new ones.

The removed stuff:
Front: Stoptech 2-piece Aerorotors - 282x28mm - 5.4kg - 11.9 lbs each
Front: OEM brackets - 1.35kg - 2.98lbs each
Rear: OEM rotors - 282x21mm - 5.1kg - 11.24 lbs each
Rear: OEM brackets - 1.17kg - 2.58lbs each (Actually, there was more weight difference between the left/right OEM brackets than with the new Racing Brake brackets).

The new stuff:
Front: Racing Brake 2-piece rotor - 324x28mm - 6.9kg - 15.2 lbs each
Front: Racing Brake brackets - 1.43kg - 3.15lbs each
Rear: Racing Brake 1-piece rotor - 303x23mm - 6.2kg - 13.7 lbs each
Rear: Racing Brake brackets - 1.25kg - 2.76lbs each

So, in total, my unsprung weight has increased by 5.5kg or 12.2lbs which is the only negative I can think of right now. Now, I really need some lightweight wheels in the future.

Last edited:
Nice write up and good pics.

One question I have is - why did you feel the need to remove the parking brake cable from the rear calipers? I think they can be safely moved out of the way with the cable (and brake lines) still attached.

Also, I am fairly confident that the bolt sizes you listed are incorrect. Or, at the least, they are different than my 1992. If you are reading this as a guide for DIY, don't be surprised if you have different bolt sizes than reported here.

One of the best write-ups ever I've read here on prime. :)

It looks really good!

I had the 02+ brakes in my garage waiting for install and just changed my mind about them and sold them. I couldn't justify the money for them as I don't brake hard even while f*cking her very hard. :wink: I always think of braking into a corner at the last edge is simple the wrong/unsafe way to drive a mid-engine-car anyway. :wink: Slowly in, fast out (of a corner :tongue:)!

Do you have any reservations about grinding away all of that caliper material? Are you concerned about weakening the caliper to the point that it could crack in two under repeated hard braking?

One question I have is - why did you feel the need to remove the parking brake cable from the rear calipers? I think they can be safely moved out of the way with the cable (and brake lines) still attached.

Also, I am fairly confident that the bolt sizes you listed are incorrect. Or, at the least, they are different than my 1992. If you are reading this as a guide for DIY, don't be surprised if you have different bolt sizes than reported here.

Actually, we didn't even try to hang the caliper by a wire with the hand brake cable still attached. You could be right that it is very possible to do that with the cable still attached.

Concerning the bolts, I checkd the measurements with the manual and they are correct. Just remember that for a 12mm bolt you will need a bigger nut for your wrench since the bolt head is bigger than the bolt itself.

ericwgnsx said:
Do you have any reservations about grinding away all of that caliper material? Are you concerned about weakening the caliper to the point that it could crack in two under repeated hard braking?

No, not at all. First, the OEM calipers are of a quite heavy construction. Second, you only grind away the edges on the top and bottom of the caliper. And even then, you only have to grind away an area that is ideally not much wider than the thickness of the rotor, in this case 28mm or a little over an inch. The caliper itself is much wider of course.

Nice write-up. I've done my brakes a few times, but I have not yet done a big brake upgrade. What size wheels are you using?

Also, you mention braking from 100. kph or mph?

Nice report. I would like to know more aboit the brake balance. Is it usefool to get the rear size upgraded as well or not ?

Nice report. I would like to know more aboit the brake balance. Is it useful to get the rear size upgraded as well or not ?

The best solution I think would be to ALWAYS upgrade the rear brakes as well.
In the early model NSX, front and rear rotors had the same size. In the 1997+ models, the rear rotor is larger than in the front and Honda increased the rear piston size from 43mm to 48mm.
So even with OEM brakes, the brake balance was shifted more to the rear in the later NSX model. But even then, most braking is done in the front.

Just getting the 324x28mm kit in the front while retaining the small rear rotors is possible of course. Lots of people do it. My reasoning was that the change in balance would just be a little too much to my liking. That's why I went to the 303x23 rotor.

For me, there are four options with the rear brakes now:
1 - My current setup works perfect and I will have saved a some.
2 - Change to the 1997+ 48mm piston caliper
3 - Change the rotor setup from the 303x23mm to the Racing Brake 330x23mm size.
4 - Do 2 and 3 together or in sequence.

At least for now, the increase in performance is significant. I am still learning not to do TOO MUCH braking when driving on the street.

One of the best write-ups ever I've read here on prime. :)

It looks really good!

I had the 02+ brakes in my garage waiting for install and just changed my mind about them and sold them. I couldn't justify the money for them as I don't brake hard even while f*cking her very hard. :wink: I always think of braking into a corner at the last edge is simple the wrong/unsafe way to drive a mid-engine-car anyway. :wink: Slowly in, fast out (of a corner :tongue:)!

Thanks for the compliment Thomas,

I agree with you, slow into the corner and fast out is the best way.
Which is EXACTLY the reason why I needed to upgrade my brakes, to make sure I am able to get into the corner slowly :smile:

Hi,

I am the friend who assisted MvM with putting on the RB BBK on his car.

It did turn out to be a bit more work than I expected it to be, mostly because of the front caliper clearance problems. This made it nessecary (as I wanted to grind off as little material as possible) to remove the front calipers twice , to grind off even more material, having to cut off part of the retainer clips and needing to bend the pad springs back even more:mad: .

I am not very keen on having to grind/cut off OE parts to make aftermarket parts fit, but there was no other way to make things fit:frown: .

The RB discs are probably put together with standard size available discs, but I am surprised that RB didn't simply machine the front disc diameter smaller by 1-2 mm as that would have resolved all the clearance problems that we encountered:rolleyes: .

MvM's car beeing a '94, now has the front brakes upgraded 2 sizes from OE to biggest RB size available.
This may have added to the caliper clearance problem with the radius of the RB disc now quite different from OE.

I have the same biggest RB kit ready for fitting on my own car.
This may be less of a problem with my own '98 as these will be only a 1 size upgrade from the already bigger OE discs on the '98.

However, as a precaution, I have decided to have my RB disc's diameter cut down by 2 mm (so this gives 1 mm extra clearance to the caliper) to make sure there will be no clearance issues as I do not want to have to grind down and cut OE parts.

Feeling how much more braking power MvM's car now has with the biggest size RB front discs, I do feel that on a pre '97 car it is VERY advisable to also upgrade the rear discs/pads at least 1 size up from OE as brake balance will be upset a lot if you only change the fronts!

Last edited:
Wow, I am really dissapointed that so much grinding is necessary of the factory caliper?! Isn't the bracket supposed to solve this issue? I mean isn't that the bracket's job? perhaps someone at RB needs to remake those...

Oddly enough, I'm having issues with the rear. The shim will not stay in place, and in turn, causes the the pad to lightly scrape at low speed...annoying.

Wow, I am really dissapointed that so much grinding is necessary of the factory caliper?! Isn't the bracket supposed to solve this issue? I mean isn't that the bracket's job? perhaps someone at RB needs to remake those...

I was thinking the same thing. RB makes a very desirable kit but I would think that if the brackets are manufactured specifically for NSX fitment there should be no need for further modifications. The RB web site states grinding MAY be necessary to fit the kit but I have yet to hear of an install, which did not REQUIRE grinding down the caliper. This is the only reason I have not purchased this kit.

Well the rotors are sitting in my garage now, so I will let you know how the install goes. They look really well built. I am not looking forward to getting out my grinder.

so whats the latest with this kit? do the calipers still need to be modified to get them to fit on these bigger rotors? :confused:

I know that MvM had to solve some strange problems with the handling in the past 1 or 2 months. Now that this problem is solved it would be interesting to us is how the braking capabilities increased over the old setup. You've said once that it's very easy to lock up the front wheels. Did you also do some tests with the AP-22 and compared it to the setup before?

The problems that I had with the strange behaviour of my car have finally been solved.
I already have the results from my OEM sized brakes.
The only problem I have now is the current weather. The original test were done on a perfectly dry piece of road.
However, for the last month or so, we haven't had a couple of dry days in a row even once.
Redoing the tests with the new brakes on a wet road of course makes no sense at all. So, I'm waiting for two or three good days with dry weather so the roads can dry and then I will do these tests asap. I need to, because I also have new wheels lying around waiting to be mounted.

Nice write up !

I put the RB kit on the rear of my 98, didnt need to remove the handbrake cable etc from the caliper, it all went on quite nicely, the only hard part for me was removing the screws on the OEM rotors, had to be drilled out which took ages.

Very easy install.
//kye

So, I'm waiting for two or three good days with dry weather so the roads can dry and then I will do these tests asap.

Very interested in the results!

I was driving downhill a long time last weekend and got blue/black (or whatever color) brakes and the very nerving kicking in of the slumpy ABS LONG BEFORE it kicks in in my S2000. Compared to the S2000 the NSX brakes REALLY SUCK! The front wheels are just digital: Long before the optimal g-level-braking, the wheels just lock!? The Type-R suspension is said to bring the NSX to the S2000 level suspensionwise. Does this also count to the Type-R brakes?

Idiot I am I've sold the 02+ brakes because of the unnecessary, bloody paint-job! (Please don't do unnecessary things, it might go bad!) Now thinking about an upgrade again. :wink:

I find that my 02+ has absolutely no braking issues on a racetrack with upgraded fluid, pads and stainless lines. In fact, I find the brakes awesome and not really different than Big Reds.

Second that... running Motul 600, SS lines, Hawk HP+ and RB 2 piece rotors with 2" air ducts front and rear. No problems what so ever keeping up with the 911 GT3s (except for going down the long straights).

Second that... running Motul 600, SS lines, Hawk HP+ and RB 2 piece rotors with 2" air ducts front and rear. No problems what so ever keeping up with the 911 GT3s (except for going down the long straights).

2-piece factory sixe or 2-piece oversized?

Back