• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which one is a better car to get now and sell out in the future???

Hi,

I am trying to find a NSX that I can keep for at least 5 years. However, I am also concern about which car is easier to get rid of after 5 years. I have found two cars that I am interested in and am going to pick between this two. Please give me your opinion and which one you will choose. Thanks

Option 1:
97 NA2 bone stock, the car seems pretty clean. clean carfax. about 60K miles.

Option 2:
95 NA with Comptech SC. All comptech aftermarket parts. about 50K.

The price of both car are about the same. I like option one, but i feel the car need to add some speed to it. I might end up getting the header, exhaust, intake, rear diff., and rim. however, the option 2 has everything that i need already.

Other than what i desire, I also want to see which car is easier to sell out. I hate dealing with selling out the car. I don't mind cuting off an extra grand or two, but which one attract more buyers? please let me know what you think. Thanks

How bout not buying one? I just can't imagine buying an NSX while saying I'm gonna get rid of it in 5yrs.. Why don't you just shop for something thats cheaper to purchase and modify?
blah whatever..:rolleyes:

If you know you're going to sell in 5 years, I would save some headaches and not buy either. If it is a figure of speech that you want to know which is easier to sell when it's time to part ways with the NSX, then I would recommend option 1 with the 97 NA2 bone stock. Not everyone is going to want all the mods on the 95. Either NSX is a good choice to buy & keep. (just my opinion)

Don't forget to compare service records.

I don't mean that I would want to get rid of the car because I don't like it anymore. Who knows what's going to happen in 5 years. I should rephase my question. Is the NA1 with all mod or a NA2 bone stock a better buy?

I don't know how long i am going to keep the car for, I set it to 5 years base on what i see most of the NSX owner do. They put the car on sale after 3 years.

Remember that the more a car is modded, the smaller number of people that will be interested. Modding is a very personal thing, and people get turned off easily when considering a highly modded car. On the other hand, a SC'd NSX shouldn't be too hard to sell in the long run.

Remember that the more a car is modded, the smaller number of people that will be interested. Modding is a very personal thing, and people get turned off easily when considering a highly modded car. On the other hand, a SC'd NSX shouldn't be too hard to sell in the long run.

I agreed. You can't go wrong with buying a stock NSX (from the next buyer's perspective), with everything being equal.:smile:

The bone stock 97 by a significant amount. Less significant if you plan on modding it yourself in the future though.

The 97 for sure. The SC adds some market to the 95 but only if you know who and how well it was installed. Even with that your best market down the road will be the stock 97. (3.2 6spd is more desirable) add an aftermarket exhaust and will be a great car.

The 97 for sure. The SC adds some market to the 95 but only if you know who and how well it was installed. Even with that your best market down the road will be the stock 97. (3.2 6spd is more desirable) add an aftermarket exhaust and will be a great car.

I would suggest the 97 for the 6peed option. If you may sell in 5 or so years, I think that it may be more attractive to a larger number of buyers at a higher price.

Aero,

I just noticed your sig! Its one of my favorite lines from FBDO! :biggrin:

Nate in DC

I would put it another way. If you plan to keep it for at least five years, then don't worry about how difficult or easy it will be to sell it at that point. Just get whichever one you prefer. Remember, you'll be living it with five years, which is a relatively long time, too long to worry about which one will net you an extra grand or two many years down the road.

However, if you want my answer to your question anyway, I agree with the comments above; stock cars are always easier to sell and more in demand, because modded cars have a much more limited market.

The NA car will be easier to sell. But also think about this... when you buy a modded car, just like the guy buying yours in 5 years, you are probably paying 25 cents on the dollar or less for the mods. If you want the extra power, and are going to use forced induction on the 97 anyway, then you may as well save yourself some big bucks and get the 95. Of all forced induction systems, the CTSC is the most desirable (with a wider audience I mean) as it is less of a "one off", has a proven track record and most of all is the only legal one. Also the hit on the modification is absorbed by the first owner, not by you buying it used!

You are going to drive this car for 5 years. Lets face it an NSX isn't bought for its practicality but for fun. The CTSC car will probably eat the 97 NA car in terms of speed. The NSX is a very very low depreciation car. I would think CTSC or not, you will get most of your money back on either car. So get the car you will enjoy driving more.

If you save the 10-12K a CTSC will cost you installed, that leaves a crapload of money for other mods. You can really do a lot to the car's looks. You can even drop in a 6 speed and still you will have saved 5K. You can do a 6-speed, type R hood, wing, maybe some side skirts, a new coilover suspension and still not have spent as much as the 97 and then adding FI.

OMG you all worry about stupid stuff.....................

The guy is trying to decide between two cars. I am sure this is exactly the kind of productive input he was looking for when he posted... :rolleyes:

They will be about equal.

mileage is king on the NSX. The lower mileage 95 along with the SC will make up the diff in price.

I went with a 95 with lots of mods over a 97 because the 95 with mods was faster, stopped better, handled better, and looked better then the 97! Also mods cost a crap load for the NSX if buying new.

The NA car will be easier to sell. But also think about this... when you buy a modded car, just like the guy buying yours in 5 years, you are probably paying 25 cents on the dollar or less for the mods. If you want the extra power, and are going to use forced induction on the 97 anyway, then you may as well save yourself some big bucks and get the 95. Of all forced induction systems, the CTSC is the most desirable (with a wider audience I mean) as it is less of a "one off", has a proven track record and most of all is the only legal one. Also the hit on the modification is absorbed by the first owner, not by you buying it used!

You are going to drive this car for 5 years. Lets face it an NSX isn't bought for its practicality but for fun. The CTSC car will probably eat the 97 NA car in terms of speed. The NSX is a very very low depreciation car. I would think CTSC or not, you will get most of your money back on either car. So get the car you will enjoy driving more.

If you save the 10-12K a CTSC will cost you installed, that leaves a crapload of money for other mods. You can really do a lot to the car's looks. You can even drop in a 6 speed and still you will have saved 5K. You can do a 6-speed, type R hood, wing, maybe some side skirts, a new coilover suspension and still not have spent as much as the 97 and then adding FI.

Best opinion Yet. Just buy what you would like to drive, If you drive hard you may be looking for more power with the NA2 sooner than you think.
I have a SC car and on the NSX its a hell of a ride best part of my week hands down.

mileage is king on the NSX. The lower mileage 95 along with the SC will make up the diff in price.
Not true. The difference in market values for the NSX vary remarkably little based on mileage. Yes, there is a premium for super-low-mileage cars, and a discount for super-high-mileage cars, but other than that, there isn't a whole lot of variance due to mileage.

Not true. The difference in market values for the NSX vary remarkably little based on mileage. Yes, there is a premium for super-low-mileage cars, and a discount for super-high-mileage cars, but other than that, there isn't a whole lot of variance due to mileage.

If over 50k then yes....50k to 100k not much diff. But 20k and 45k there is.

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome and for your input. I have made an offer for both of the cars, I am waiting for both seller to accept my offer. I can I could soon to be one of a real member here after many years of reading threads. Thanks again.

One more thing other than the resale value. I am trying to have the seller take the car to do a compression test and a leak down test to the car, can any Acura dealership perform the two tests? what else should I have the tech. inspect on? Is the maintenance cost going to be a lot since it is a 10-12 years old car?

Just buy one with a good clutch, otherwise it's 4G's to replace :-/

I wouldn't worry about a leak test so much with only 50K on a Honda motor.

Is the maintenance cost going to be a lot since it is a 10-12 years old car?
The initial cost could be a lot, if the car hasn't been properly maintained up till now. For example, Acura recommends that the timing belt be replaced for a '91-96 every 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first, and for a '97-05 every 105K miles or 7 years. If you are buying a '95 or '97 and the buyer can't prove to you that this service has been done, you should get it done immediately to avoid serious, more expensive problems. This service typically costs $1200-1700, including the water pump, which is normally replaced at the same time. If you need to do this, it's a good idea to also replace all the cooling system hoses and also the crankshaft pulley, which are going to add another $600-1000 to the total. But then you won't have to do these services for another 6-7 years or a whole lot of miles. It's a good investment.

Similarly, the major service (fluids, filters, valve adjustment, etc) is specified for every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first, so that may be due as well. That's roughly $900-1200.

If the buyer can't provide evidence that these services were done, you might be able to negotiate a lower price on the purchase to reflect the lack of maintenance.

wow... if i have to do everything, that mean i have to prepare another $4 grand on top of the car. Sounds like it is very expensive to maintain a NSX.

wow... if i have to do everything, that mean i have to prepare another $4 grand on top of the car. Sounds like it is very expensive to maintain a NSX.

Only if something breaks. Lucky they don't break much.

On the water pump and timming belt, I think 1200-1700 is low, as I have a reciept on my car from a Honda dealer for 3500 for those two items installed.

$4k for routine maintaince over 7 years on a exotic car is actually cheap compared to the others. If you have to spend the $4k on the one you are buying it is only because someone else has neglected to do it. As Ken said negotiate this into the price.

The 1997+ cars are more desireable since there were alot of upgrades but the CTSC would also be nice.

I always thought Japanese car parts and labors are cheaper than German car. But $1500 for every 2 years is kind of expensive. I might have to check with the seller then.

I always thought Japanese car parts and labors are cheaper than German car. But $1500 for every 2 years is kind of expensive. I might have to check with the seller then.

For most Japanese cars, that is true, but somebody marked up the price for the NSX.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

$4k for routine maintaince over 7 years on a exotic car is actually cheap compared to the others. If you have to spend the $4k on the one you are buying it is only because someone else has neglected to do it. As Ken said negotiate this into the price.

The 1997+ cars are more desireable since there were alot of upgrades but the CTSC would also be nice.

Mike,
How does it feel to get back into your NSX again?:smile:

Back