• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spare Tires

I have just bought a 98 NSX (And love it BTW). It need a new spare tire. Do all years have the same spare tire size or is it unique for my year? Also, where is a good place to get the urethane lip on the front underneath the bumper cover.
Thanks.

There are two models of the spare tire (identified by color of wheel) - I think you need the orange one - one for bigger brakes. The earlier one had yellow spare (I think, or other way around!:biggrin: ) Relative to the
front lip spoiler, you can get the OEM one on line, through acuraautomotiveparts.org for 116.58 /145.XX list, or SOS has an assortment of aftermarket one -take your pick.:rolleyes: Hope this helps. Incidentially, the part # of the OEM one for your car is, I believe, 71110-SLO-003.

There are two models of the spare tire (identified by color of wheel) - I think you need the orange one - one for bigger brakes. The earlier one had yellow spare (I think, or other way around!:biggrin: ) Relative to the
front lip spoiler, you can get the OEM one on line, through acuraautomotiveparts.org for 116.58 /145.XX list, or SOS has an assortment of aftermarket one -take your pick.:rolleyes: Hope this helps. Incidentially, the part # of the OEM one for your car is, I believe, 71110-SLO-003.

Nope, you have it backwards!! The orange one was for the earlier model cars ('91-'96) and the yellow one was for the later cars ('97-'05).

Hey thanks for all the help.
-Robert

You know I had my spare out the other day changing the Batt. and though it looks like it's never touched the ground, the rubber looks like it's taken a lot of radiator heat over 16 years.

As far as I know, you can only buy a new spare tire as part of the complete assembly with the wheel. I know someone claimed there might be a possibility of getting only the tire, but I don't think this was ever confirmed.

I was also wondering if you had to buy them as a unit or not.
Thanks,
Robert

I have just bought a 98 NSX (And love it BTW). It need a new spare tire. Do all years have the same spare tire size or is it unique for my year? Also, where is a good place to get the urethane lip on the front underneath the bumper cover.
Thanks.

I have a brand new never used yellow spare tire from my 2004 NSX. PM me if you're interested in picking it up.

How much and where is it?
Thanks, Robert

I'm in TN and it would have to Fed-Ex'd or UPS'd to me. Are you willing to do that? At this point, I have no idea on what to offer. What do you need for it?
Thanks,
Robert

Most early model spares show some signs of cracking - mainly b/c they are old rubber and never used. I've seen prices on Prime for those for $80 - $125.
I've seen prices for newer spares in the $100-$150 range.

BTW - the entire wheel and tire spare assembly costs $750+ new (that was two years ago when I last checked. It may be more now).

Sounds fair to me too. I want to make sure of the size I've got on mine tonight. I will get any numbers, rim size or whatever I can find on it and get back to you to compare against what you have. My guess is that they are going to be compatible but just want to make sure.
Thanks,
Robetr

Sounds fair to me too. I want to make sure of the size I've got on mine tonight. I will get any numbers, rim size or whatever I can find on it and get back to you to compare against what you have. My guess is that they are going to be compatible but just want to make sure.
Thanks,
Robetr

If your NSX is 1997 or later, I guarantee they will be identical. No need to check.

Probably not the best thing to post your phone number on a public forum. I'd edit the message and send it to him on a PM.
Just trying to watch your back :wink:

Nope, you have it backwards!! The orange one was for the earlier model cars ('91-'96) and the yellow one was for the later cars ('97-'05).

no kidding...and all this time i thought my yellow spare was just matching my exterior color.

Am I correct that the spare tire bracket also differs between the 91-96 and the 97+ models? I thought I read somewhere on the forum that changing older for newer brackets was difficult and not an easy swap.

Reason I ask is my 91 has Racing Brake rotors and '02 calipers so I believe my original spare is pretty much useless. Correct? I carry a tire repair kit just in case.

I guess my other options are to try to get a 97+ spare (and see how well it fits in the 91 bracket) or go to runflats.

Interesting point, lunchman. My '94 has '97 brakes and I know I still have the orange spare (showing cracks in the folded sidewall) sitting up front. I guess I should take it out and check, but it sounds like it may not fit over the '97+ brakes? Maybe I should be looking for a yellow spare as well both for fittment as well as having a spare without sidewall cracks (is the thing even safe to inflate?). Options seem to be fix-a-flat or a tow, I guess guys with really big brake kits just run without a spare, but I actually don't want to loose weight on the front end (I want to loose it on the rear to lessen rear bias).

Back