• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spare Tires

My CTS-V has F-1 runflats - They are HEAVY and expensive. Just a thought.
Might look at modding the bracket and later spare, don't ya know?:biggrin:

Am I correct that the spare tire bracket also differs between the 91-96 and the 97+ models? I thought I read somewhere on the forum that changing older for newer brackets was difficult and not an easy swap.

Reason I ask is my 91 has Racing Brake rotors and '02 calipers so I believe my original spare is pretty much useless. Correct? I carry a tire repair kit just in case.

I guess my other options are to try to get a 97+ spare (and see how well it fits in the 91 bracket) or go to runflats.

Interesting point, lunchman. My '94 has '97 brakes and I know I still have the orange spare (showing cracks in the folded sidewall) sitting up front. I guess I should take it out and check, but it sounds like it may not fit over the '97+ brakes? Maybe I should be looking for a yellow spare as well both for fittment as well as having a spare without sidewall cracks (is the thing even safe to inflate?). Options seem to be fix-a-flat or a tow, I guess guys with really big brake kits just run without a spare, but I actually don't want to loose weight on the front end (I want to loose it on the rear to lessen rear bias).

No need to check, it WILL NOT fit:). You definitely need the yellow one.

HTH,
LarryB

Yes, you need the Yella Wheel!:biggrin: Otherwise, carry your AAA card, as you don't want a tow - you want a rollback!!:biggrin: If you want to use fix-a-flat, you have to be much more selective as to what you run over, don't ya know??:wink:
Interesting point, lunchman. My '94 has '97 brakes and I know I still have the orange spare (showing cracks in the folded sidewall) sitting up front. I guess I should take it out and check, but it sounds like it may not fit over the '97+ brakes? Maybe I should be looking for a yellow spare as well both for fittment as well as having a spare without sidewall cracks (is the thing even safe to inflate?). Options seem to be fix-a-flat or a tow, I guess guys with really big brake kits just run without a spare, but I actually don't want to loose weight on the front end (I want to loose it on the rear to lessen rear bias).

Thanks. How do I do the PM thingy? Neewbie here.
If you're looking at someone's post and you want to send them a private message (PM), just click on their username, and an option will appear below it to send them a private message.

Otherwise, click on User CP on the red bar above, and you will see options listed under "Private Messages" in the left column.

Options seem to be fix-a-flat or a tow
Don't use Fix-a-flat except in an absolute emergency. It sprays gunk on the inside of your tire that basically renders it useless on an ongoing basis; the tire may be off balance, may not be able to handle highway heat, etc, and will need to be replaced at the first opportunity.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll be looking for a yellow spare as well. Yeah, I hate fix a flat, and many guys who change tires seem to as well, the "tow" reference was not meant literally, I know flatbed is the only way to go. Geez, I hope I never need that! I'll find a proper spare.

Don't use Fix-a-flat except in an absolute emergency. It sprays gunk on the inside of your tire that basically renders it useless on an ongoing basis; the tire may be off balance, may not be able to handle highway heat, etc, and will need to be replaced at the first opportunity.

Made that mistake once on a previous car long time ago in a galaxy far far away.:eek:

Back