• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question for the NSX cognoscenti:

So, the fuzz on my engine cover has lots of scrapes and bald spots. It looks like crud and instead of replacing it, I’ve decided to reflock it, that is, strip off the old fuzz and put on a nice new coat of black fuzz. Searching has revealed that others have contemplated doing this but as far as I know no one has gone through with it. Mine looks so bad I’ve got nothing to lose.
While I’m at it, I was considering putting the NSX script on the hump, right in the middle of the cover, 3 inches high and 18 inches long, in silver fuzz to match the car color. The idea is that anyone peering through the (tinted) hatch would see a sophisticated-looking logo and think the car came that way. It ought to be a seamlessly merging finish so that you couldn’t feel the script if you closed your eyes and ran a hand over it.
FYI, the car is Sebring Silver with color-coded top, and 7-spoke OEM wheels powder-coated gunmetal gray.
Whatever I do to the cover it will be an improvement over the way it is now. But the question is, do you think this would look good on an otherwise stock(ish) car? Ricey?
Anyone?

Last edited:
I tend to error on the subtle side and keep logos to a minimum. I think they distract the eye from the cars lines.

Perhaps you should start with rejuvinating the cover and then put on a template to see what your idea looks like full scale before making a commitment.

Your hatch is tinted?:confused: You should seriously consider a see through engine cover to show the engine. My fact. engine cover is in perfect cond. if your in the market for another fact. cover. I can do $125.00. I'll bring it to houston.:smile:

Well Randell looks like I lied. Apparently someone here at work decided to clean the up stairs here at work and did'nt think to ask what it was or who's it was. Still you sould get the mesh cover. {cool factor}:biggrin:

Davidf: What, somebody just pitched it? :eek: Yikes! And I was thisclose to sending you a PM.
Big_D: You're probably right on. Too bad Davidf's cover is gone, I could have had one of each.
(Rubs chin in deep thought about next move ....)

There are a number of aftermarket replacements for the engine cover, eg:

engine-cover--lexandsr.jpg

cover1.5opt.jpg

63b4_1.JPG

Are you set on an oem replacement, or are you looking for something a little more aggressive?

Re-flock your old cover, or get an aftermarket one.
BUT - don't put that logo on there. Something like that would look out of place on an NSX.

Davidf, about a month ago one of those Cantrell engine covers came up in the for sale section. Major drool. I'm also digging the ones that "bert" sells. Thing is, I'm sort of putting my $ somewhere else right now, dang it. There's this girl, see ....
Here's the plan:
1. I bow to the wisdom of the forum. I'll reflock the old cover (just to do something that has never been done before) and it'll be solid black.
2. In a few months I'll get a mesh one because they really do look great.
3. I'll keep an eye out, buy someone's ragged out engine cover, put the script on it, and decorate the garage wall with it.
Many thanks, gentlemen!
P.S. There's some good-looking stuff at NSX works. Hmm.

FYI, there has been a few members who have taken off the "fuzz" from the oem engine cover and either 1) repainted flat/gloss black, 2) repainted, cut center, and put mesh, or 3) repaint, cut center and left open.

Good luck and post pictures of the finished product.

Davidf, about a month ago one of those Cantrell engine covers came up in the for sale section. Major drool. I'm also digging the ones that "bert" sells. Thing is, I'm sort of putting my $ somewhere else right now, dang it. There's this girl, see ....
Here's the plan:
1. I bow to the wisdom of the forum. I'll reflock the old cover (just to do something that has never been done before) and it'll be solid black.
2. In a few months I'll get a mesh one because they really do look great.
3. I'll keep an eye out, buy someone's ragged out engine cover, put the script on it, and decorate the garage wall with it.
Many thanks, gentlemen!
P.S. There's some good-looking stuff at NSX works. Hmm.
LOL, girls tend to do that to us.:tongue:

The flocking on my cover is pretty sad, too. I would be most interested in hearing how folks have rehabilitated the stock cover, either by reflocking or striping it down. Since I have a targa, mesh/CF/etc covers are not an option.

The flocking on my cover is pretty sad, too. I would be most interested in hearing how folks have rehabilitated the stock cover, either by reflocking or striping it down. Since I have a targa, mesh/CF/etc covers are not an option.

I'll try to post up a how-to if the operation is a success. The original idea was to be as "correct" as possible, therefore, this whole flocking business.

Gdae do you have bigger pic of your avatar? That looks like an old Fiat/Zastava

I'll see if I can find one when I get back to my usual computer. This is a picture from the newspaper -- about 10 years ago there was some sort of unrest in Romania and the people were marching. A photographer got too close and got tagged. I thought it was funny because the girl in the car just seems so oblivious. Kept the picture all this time.
I tell people this is what happens when you ask a girl out while she's driving.

Back