• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

10.48 @ 139 mph HP Performance car

I took my car to the drags on Friday night. My best run was 10.485 seconds at 139.32 mph. This pass was made with a strong direct headwind, so I think I should be over 140 mph.
What a night!
I would have posted this earlier, but I was at the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque. I drove the NSX there the night of the races. I was way faster than a lot of drag cars out there and they have to be trailered to the track.
I hope to post a video of the run. I'll see what I can do.
Craig

Is this still with the stock block and bottom end?

Never mind just read the bottom of your signature. Holy Cow!!!!!!!

Is this still with the stock block and bottom end?

Never mind just read the bottom of your signature. Holy Cow!!!!!!!

Not just the bottom end, the whole motor is stock.

The car shares daily driver duties. I probably drive it a little more than my truck.
This pass had a max boost level of about 15.5 psi.
As far as weight, I guess you are asking about the weight of the car. I've never weighed it, but It should be about the same as a stock NSX. I think the turbo kit is a little lighter than the stock exhaust and intake. The car still has full interior including stock seats and aftermarket DVD player. This is NOT a stripped down drag car.
Craig

man...... fix your reaction time to .5XX or even .6xx and WOW! You've got a 9 second daily driver bud!

Actually, reaction time doesn't count on the clock. It starts when you roll across the line. I take my time unless I'm running a real race.

Those are smoking numbers Craig. Congratulations!

You sure can't beat good race gas and a pair of ET drag slicks. I've seen those tires consistantly drop an easy 1 - 1.5 seconds off street tire times. Great tires.

The truely amazing part of this is the fact that the motor is untouched with 13x,xxx miles on it. That speaks volumes about the capability of the stock motor and the tuning of this particular car. Very well done. I hope it holds up for a long time.

Actually, reaction time doesn't count on the clock. It starts when you roll across the line. I take my time unless I'm running a real race.

Hmmm, I didn't know that. I thought the timer was from the moment the tree turned green and you broke the beam on the other end of the track. Figured the sensors at staging was just for....staging. Not to actually start the clock.

So you can actually win a non bracket race and roll from the line with a (exaggerated obviously) 2 second reaction time?

My favorite part is right after the 10.48 run he bolted on his street tires drove to ALBQ spent the rest of the weekend there and drove it home. Great job with the driving Craig.

Did you guys like turn down the boost and upload like say..... an 8 psi "map" (I'm guessing that's the term? I'm still used to sportbike fuel mapping) Or did he run the 15.5 psi map at the track and kept it as is when he left?

im guessing an aftermarket clutch/flywheel though right? im actually considering getting boosted just wondering what do you think our stock clutch and flywheel can handle? i wouldnt mind a less tuned version of around 8-9psi

Every time I hear about this car's exploits I just shake my head in astoundment and disbelief. Well done to everyone who has made this car the legend it's become...

Simply amazing! 15.5 psi would give it ~500whp? I did not know it was safe to run that much psi on a stock motor, esp with 135k. You probably run like 7 psi as a DD though right?

Daily driving is around 8.5 psi.
As far as the stock clutch goes, mine seemed to do amazingly well. It was holding 450 rwhp. It didn't start slipping until we started pushing close to 500. I think I only ran it like that for about a month, so I don't know how long it would have held the 450.
I am running a spec stage 3+ clutch and spec flywheel.
Craig

Simply amazing! 15.5 psi would give it ~500whp? I did not know it was safe to run that much psi on a stock motor, esp with 135k. You probably run like 7 psi as a DD though right?

15.5 psi is 1.06 bar, so, if we give a stock nsx 250rwhp, and assume this turbo kit is 100% efficient, the maximum power output is
2.06 * 250rwhp = 515rwhp.

8.5 psi should result in theoretical power of 395rwhp, at 100% efficiency.

Obviously these figures are only general area estimates, some dynos are 'friendlier' than other dynos, and not all engines produce equal power levels. Other factors, such as temperature, tuning (timing, etc.), and perhaps some degree of boost creep, should also be considered.

We often use the formula PSI/14.7 + 1 x NA horse power = boosted horse power, THIS IS NOT AN ABSOLUTE FORMULA. I do not recall a setup that we produce that did not beat the formula. This car is doing exceptionally well. The car was dynoed before and after on the same dyno, 222rwhp NA and several diffrent levels boosted. So many variables come into play when comparing changes made to a car. We use a mustang dyno which reads lower than a dyno jet. The dyno is good for comparing changes and testing but the track tells the real story.

Thanks, Jimmy

Last edited:
PSI/14.7 + 1 x NA horse power = boosted horse power

Jimmy,

This is the same formula I was referring to, PSI/14.7 is a quick way of converting to BAR, you add 1 BAR to account for the atmosphere, and multiply the total intake pressure (atmosphere + generated boost pressure) by the car's NA output to obtain its theoretical power level.

All things being equal this should provide an accurate number, assuming similar dyno conditions, and an accurate boost reading. For instance, prior to my last tune my HP turbo nsx was producing 383rwhp at 0.55 bar (8psi) - the theoretical value provided by this formula for 0.55 bar is 387.5rwhp, so my true power was close to the theoretical value.

The last time I had the car tuned, perhaps a month ago, we disabled the VVIS system, and advanced timing slightly to offset the low end loss this resulted in; the resulting power level was 418.8rwhp, but we also noticed boost creep up to a peak of 0.6 bar, or 8.7 psi. Using the formula for 0.6 bar we see a theoretical value of 400rwhp, but this formula doesn't take into account the increased timing, or the disabling of the VVIS system. When we ran the old map with the only change being the disabled VVIS we found a +20rwhp peak gain, and when we adjusted timing we didn't see much change in the peak value, only a nice bump in midrange values - so, if we have a theoretical value of 400rwhp, and an increase of +20rwhp from the VVIS system being disabled, we have a theoretical value of 420rwhp, compared to my actual value of 418.8rwhp - it seems to be rather accurate.

If Craig's nsx produced 222rwhp in stock form on your dyno, how was he able to produce 605rwhp at *only* 1.07 bar? This is triple the power with an increase of only 1 atm; it just doesn't make sense unless you have a very aggressive tune, and more than 15.5psi of boost. Craig also made a post last month where he said his car makes 474rwhp on his 'street' tune of 8.8 psi - this is almost the exact same boost level I have, with the same stock 3.0L engine, the same turbo kit piping, the same disabled VVIS system, and the same diameter turbo, yet I have 418.8rwhp, and he says his car has 474rwhp - is this the result of timing, boost creep, or something else? When I showed Craig's earlier thread to my tuner he could not explain the resulting numbers, at that boost level.

Jimmy,

This is the same formula I was referring to, PSI/14.7 is a quick way of converting to BAR, you add 1 BAR to account for the atmosphere, and multiply the total intake pressure (atmosphere + generated boost pressure) by the car's NA output to obtain its theoretical power level.

All things being equal this should provide an accurate number, assuming similar dyno conditions, and an accurate boost reading. For instance, prior to my last tune my HP turbo nsx was producing 383rwhp at 0.55 bar (8psi) - the theoretical value provided by this formula for 0.55 bar is 387.5rwhp, so my true power was close to the theoretical value.

The last time I had the car tuned, perhaps a month ago, we disabled the VVIS system, and advanced timing slightly to offset the low end loss this resulted in; the resulting power level was 418.8rwhp, but we also noticed boost creep up to a peak of 0.6 bar, or 8.7 psi. Using the formula for 0.6 bar we see a theoretical value of 400rwhp, but this formula doesn't take into account the increased timing, or the disabling of the VVIS system. When we ran the old map with the only change being the disabled VVIS we found a +20rwhp peak gain, and when we adjusted timing we didn't see much change in the peak value, only a nice bump in midrange values - so, if we have a theoretical value of 400rwhp, and an increase of +20rwhp from the VVIS system being disabled, we have a theoretical value of 420rwhp, compared to my actual value of 418.8rwhp - it seems to be rather accurate.

If Craig's nsx produced 222rwhp in stock form on your dyno, how was he able to produce 605rwhp at *only* 1.07 bar? This is triple the power with an increase of only 1 atm; it just doesn't make sense unless you have a very aggressive tune, and more than 15.5psi of boost. Craig also made a post last month where he said his car makes 474rwhp on his 'street' tune of 8.8 psi - this is almost the exact same boost level I have, with the same stock 3.0L engine, the same turbo kit piping, the same disabled VVIS system, and the same diameter turbo, yet I have 418.8rwhp, and he says his car has 474rwhp - is this the result of timing, boost creep, or something else? When I showed Craig's earlier thread to my tuner he could not explain the resulting numbers, at that boost level.

I don't understand why my car makes so much power either, but I've seen it on the dyno and at the track. You can't argue with the facts.
Craig

nothing take away from the result... 10.48 @ 139 mph is the result and that is more then amazing. When i recently went to the vintage drags at pomona it struck me as funny that you had old muscle cars trailered to the event that were totally gutted and not driveable on the street, yet the majority were 11-14 second cars and guys where showing up with bone stock zo6's and sl 55 / 65's and were basically as fast as anything and going down the track with no drama, AC on and probably enjoying the stock stereo while enjoying a back massage.

i would love to see the reaction of the other people at the event when this black acura pulls up, lanches so hard it is doing a wheel stand and proceeds to pull a 10.48. people must be scratching their heads and wondering wtf! it really has to get even the most die hard person thinking.

Anyway, regarding the hp numbers, it sounds like the dyno is 100hp optimistic, but as stated above, the real numbers (at the drag strick) are the real result and the only one that matters-- power to the ground in real life.

Great job! and while there are a handful of nsx owners that claim more hp then this, not one of them have stepped up with a better result and i believe right not this makes this the fastest legitimate nsx at the drags. (legitimate is it uses the entire car.. not like what aem did with the nsx engine in another car)

We would love to see a stock engine nsx get in the nines! Do you think another 1/2 second is possible?

nothing take away from the result... 10.48 @ 139 mph is the result and that is more then amazing. When i recently went to the vintage drags at pomona it struck me as funny that you had old muscle cars trailered to the event that were totally gutted and not driveable on the street, yet the majority were 11-14 second cars and guys where showing up with bone stock zo6's and sl 55 / 65's and were basically as fast as anything and going down the track with no drama, AC on and probably enjoying the stock stereo while enjoying a back massage.

i would love to see the reaction of the other people at the event when this black acura pulls up, lanches so hard it is doing a wheel stand and proceeds to pull a 10.48. people must be scratching their heads and wondering wtf! it really has to get even the most die hard person thinking.

Anyway, regarding the hp numbers, it sounds like the dyno is 100hp optimistic, but as stated above, the real numbers (at the drag strick) are the real result and the only one that matters-- power to the ground in real life.

Great job! and while there are a handful of nsx owners that claim more hp then this, not one of them have stepped up with a better result and i believe right not this makes this the fastest legitimate nsx at the drags. (legitimate is it uses the entire car.. not like what aem did with the nsx engine in another car)

We would love to see a stock engine nsx get in the nines! Do you think another 1/2 second is possible?

I think that a nine second pass with the stock motor may be a little optimistic. Then again nobody thought I could run tens with a stock motor either.
I don't think the dyno number are optimistic. If you plug my 1/4 mile times into one of the 1/4 mile/ horsepower estimators, you will find that the trap speed should require more than 600 hp. That shows me that we probably aren't too far off. The nearest other dyno is 170 miles away. Right now, I don't really want to waste my time to verify something that I already know.
From what I hear, people do react pretty well when I run. It is cool to line up next to a drag car and then blow past him. It's even more fun when they are almost as fast as you. They get you off of the line and think they're winning and then you fly past towards the end of the track.
Craig

Back