• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

10.48 @ 139 mph HP Performance car

A kid at my school has the HP kit. He had it for about a month now. Tuned to 5psi. He blew the front head gasket last week after no more than 2k miles.
60k miles on the engine btw.

A kid at my school has the HP kit. He had it for about a month now. Tuned to 5psi. He blew the front head gasket last week after no more than 2k miles.
60k miles on the engine btw.

That sucks. It seems funny that he would blow the head gasket at that low of pressure.
Craig

o1blacks4

who's kit is that? (is it your custom setup). i thought the hp kit had the blower on the driver side.. your looks to be passenger. please advise as that is a nice setup!

thanks

That sucks. It seems funny that he would blow the head gasket at that low of pressure.
Craig

Not really. I did too. :redface:

What really seems funny is how you can get that much hp without blowing something! :tongue: :biggrin: :tongue: :biggrin:

And you're putting these into production when again? ;)

they are "in production"...at least as much as they will be.....there are a couple out there....you want one yet?:biggrin: i have one sitting here for you when you want it..

SOCALX in answer to your question below...who's kit is that? (is it your custom setup). i thought the hp kit had the blower on the driver side.. your looks to be passenger. please advise as that is a nice setup!

thanks...it is my set up that I built, i guess you could call it my custom setup...i have built the jig for it and built a couple "kits" for others....it would come as a polished stainless setup though...not the coated one as shown....

FWIW i do still have the system from my car for sale...it is the exact one as shown, i do have a listing in the market section.....
I have an idea and MUCH BIGGER turbo for the next rendition...i really dont want to cut apart this one so untill its sold i am not starting the next one.....

someone buy it !!!:biggrin:

marc

WOW, Factor X's Sig. boasts 813hp and pulls a 10:9 in the 1/4
Craigs pulls a 10:8 with 4 something hp!!!!!!!
???????????????
I think they(FX) can verify, but I don't think they were running the full 813 during that run, not to mention I think they were on DR's on 18's I think?

Craigs 10.8 was somewhere over 600whp during that run.
Their 800+ was a twin turbo setup done many years ago. FX has done many different single turbo setups since then and 10.9 @140 wasn't their best 1/4 mile. Heck, they havn't listed their unlimited & overall time attack win in their Sig either... dosn't mean that they didn't do it:smile:
Has anyone actually used a FI NSX to race?
Their has been a few. Realtime who raced in Speed World Challenge GT and Rob Morrison both had supercharged NSXs. The growing series of Time Attack events are causing more NSXs to be either Supercharged or Turbocharged in order to compete with all the new turbo econo-boxes. Factor X is leading the way with their new unlimited car:
DSC_0804cropped.jpg

Wow, great running.

great time

good sized turbo.

put in some meth, im sure you can crank the boost up past 20psiw tih no issues.

And for some reason, the turbo kits haven't popped engines... I'm not trying to say they won't (and there are obviously much less cars running Turbo vs. CTSC which should also be considered) but it seems like an awful lot of expense and work goes into having supercharger setups create considerably less power, and with no additional benefit of added reliability and engine safety.
I agree with the others who said it's other factors, not the method of FI, that are the issue. I know of not a single (out of several) CTSC in Colorado that has damaged the engine or had real issues...but both of the turbo'd NSXs I'm familiar with needed their engines rebuilt soon after addition of turbo (then after being rebuilt were turned into amazing monsters). Besides fairly limited experience of the tuners with NSXs I think another main contributing factor is the ease with which boost can be turned up with a turbo. There are exceptions (like Craig's car) but I do perceive a trend where ~360RWHP is "not enough," boost is turned up, then bye bye. Craig's car is even more "amazing" IMO given this perception of mine.

I took my car to the drags on Friday night. My best run was 10.485 seconds at 139.32 mph. This pass was made with a strong direct headwind, so I think I should be over 140 mph.
What a night!
I would have posted this earlier, but I was at the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque. I drove the NSX there the night of the races. I was way faster than a lot of drag cars out there and they have to be trailered to the track.
I hope to post a video of the run. I'll see what I can do.
Craig

what happened to this video? [MENTION=15600]ccathey[/MENTION] are you still around?

what happened to this video? [MENTION=15600]ccathey[/MENTION] are you still around?

Wow, back from the dead! :wink: I seriously doubt he's around or if he still has a working NSX, if he even still has it. The claims always seemed fishy to me and other than some forum posts, I never saw anything to substantiate the numbers. I doubt the video will ever surface, or that it ever existed. :smile:

Wow, back from the dead! :wink: I seriously doubt he's around or if he still has a working NSX, if he even still has it. The claims always seemed fishy to me and other than some forum posts, I never saw anything to substantiate the numbers. I doubt the video will ever surface, or that it ever existed. :smile:

wow look who the cat dragged in:biggrin:

This video?

I too am not trying to refute the information from HP, I just want to learn and understand more about the turbo setup in general to perhaps help increase my boost numbers. I am certainly no expert when it comes to turbo setups so I'm coming from a position of ignorance. As I understand it, basically the three factors that control turbo power is, fuel quantity, boost air pressure and boost air temperature. I'm assuming that a given boost pressure, say 8.5 lbs, for the proper air/fuel mixture, the fuel quantity is about the same for each turbo setup. That means the only variable is boost air temperature. So unless one system is getting significantly colder air than the next system, I don't see what other factors could contribute to significantly higher power numbers. I understand that that some heat exchangers could be more efficient than the next, but since we are talking about passive heat exchangers, the cooling is all related to the approach on ambient temperatures. I can see it affecting it by 10-20 whp, but not like 60whp. Also I understand better welds, smoother transitions etc will help but that can't be more than 10 whp either. So what I've seen so far:

My Factor X
8 lbs boost
405 whp / 350 ft-lbs

LoveFab
9 lbs boost
431.3 whp / 330.0 ft-lbs.

Scorp's HP
8 lbs boost
418.8 whp / 317.3 ft-lbs.

Craig's HP
8.8 lbs boost
474 whp / 338 ft-lbs.

Craig's numbers are so much higher than everyone else's and not by a small margin. That a huge gain that simply cannot be explained by better piping, cooler temperatures, or better welds. :confused: I'd love to know what the secret is because I'd love to gain another 50 whp if I could.

My safe tune numbers:
low boost is set for ~ 8 PSI / 437.45 whp. High boost ~13 PSI / 533.42 whp.

Last edited:
Back