• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the difference between 2002,03,04,05

I found some info on a prior thread which indicated the console changes color.

I found info on the internet which states 04+ had keyless entry, CD changer and different headlights.

Can anyone confirm the above?

Where there any exterior styling diferences? Where there any other changes?

Is there any point to paying an extra 15k for a '05 over an '02 with the same miles?

From what I understand, the 04/05 cars had the keyless entry and CD player standard, and the passenger side auto door lock switch deleted. Those are the only difference.

+ the shift knob is different on the 04/05.
+ the 6 speed transmission is the same part number as the 97-99 nsx (excluding zanardi, which is a different number then either.)
+ the 04-05 is 2-3 years newer then the 02 allowing for the 7 year acura certified warranty to also cover the car longer
finally consider that the 05 was the last of the breed and i think will be more collectible if you intend to hold the car for an extended period.

+ the shift knob is different on the 04/05.
+ the 6 speed transmission is the same part number as the 97-99 nsx (excluding zanardi, which is a different number then either.)
+ the 04-05 is 2-3 years newer then the 02 allowing for the 7 year acura certified warranty to also cover the car longer
finally consider that the 05 was the last of the breed and i think will be more collectible if you intend to hold the car for an extended period.
Forgot about the knob.

Speaking of the transmission part number, what is the difference between the two?

Gauge faces are blue on 04 , 05's as well right?

I read in a thread somwhere that the later cars were blueprinted and balanced, rumor has it. Someone more knowledgable needs to confirm.

I bought an '04 as most of the '02s I saw were not is as good a shape. Many were lease returns that had hard miles on them. I saw "97s that were in better shape. This might have been my luck of the draw.

Also the '03+ had a larger sway bar.

For 2004-2005:

1. The keyless entry is factory installed, and adds parking light flash and audible beep notification.

2. The CD Changer is also factory installed, and is the newer smaller Alpine chassis, and has mp3 capability

3. The trunk has a remote release inside the trunk, in case someone gets locked inside

4. Shift knob is changed

5. Color of the gauges is changed, and the background texture is different

6. Center Console color different

7. Japanese tool tray with more cutouts (but the tools are the same as before)

8. Passenger side power lock switch deleted.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Gauge faces are blue on 04 , 05's as well right?
Yep gauge faces are blue on an 05

Yep gauge faces are blue on an 04 :smile:

also 2002-2003 they yellow was Spa yellow
2004-2005 Rio Yellow :smile:

I belive 2004 are the last year models built from the orignal factory "Takanezawa, Tochigi" :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

and the 2005 are built in the NEW Factory along side the S2K's :tongue:

Last edited:
As an owner of both an 02 and currently an 05, I can concur with Ben. These are very suttle changes but after owning a 91, going to the 02, the changes to me were very pronounced.
I believe if you can find an 02 with the same mileage than a later model, go for it. I just love the fixed headlights. They just freshen the look of the car tremendously and are much brighter than previous models. I also enjoy the perforated leather on models starting in 2000. The cluster changes, the shift knob and color changes of the console are no big deal at all.
It's nice to have the factory installed keyless remote and the CD changer but again this should be a deal breaker. On the 02 I had the dealer install the keyless remote as part of the sale and the CD changer was installed by one of the best shops in San Diego who did a factory perfect install.
My favorite upgrade on the 02s and up is the color matched interiors! Mine is Imola Orange with the Orange interior which definitely makes the car. Seeing the black interior made it look plain Jane where the Orange just pops! I get more complements on the Orange leather because it's something you rarely see.
Good luck on your search!

As an owner of both an 02 and currently an 05, I can concur with Ben. These are very suttle changes but after owning a 91, going to the 02, the changes to me were very pronounced.
I believe if you can find an 02 with the same mileage than a later model, go for it. I just love the fixed headlights. They just freshen the look of the car tremendously and are much brighter than previous models. I also enjoy the perforated leather on models starting in 2000. The cluster changes, the shift knob and color changes of the console are no big deal at all.
It's nice to have the factory installed keyless remote and the CD changer but again this should be a deal breaker. On the 02 I had the dealer install the keyless remote as part of the sale and the CD changer was installed by one of the best shops in San Diego who did a factory perfect install.
My favorite upgrade on the 02s and up is the color matched interiors! Mine is Imola Orange with the Orange interior which definitely makes the car. Seeing the black interior made it look plain Jane where the Orange just pops! I get more complements on the Orange leather because it's something you rarely see.
Good luck on your search!

Do you feel any difference in the 02 comapred to the 05 with the different sway bar?

This drives my girlfriend crazy. I have to unlock the door everytime from my side to let her out. Not sure why Honda did this :confused:

When I asked Uehara-san last year about this, he said it was removed to save weight.

Thanks! My first choice is a black on black with less than 20k miles, but it seems there are few for sale. I've found an 02 with less miles than an 05 and for 10k(15%) cheaper. Interestingly, it looks like Blue, yellow or orange are about 10% cheaper than black or silver. I guess they have less mass market appeal

Thanks! My first choice is a black on black with less than 20k miles, but it seems there are few for sale. I've found an 02 with less miles than an 05 and for 10k(15%) cheaper. Interestingly, it looks like Blue, yellow or orange are about 10% cheaper than black or silver. I guess they have less mass market appeal

Don't know where your searching ,but I just did a check on autotrader.com and the overwhelming majority of cheaper NSXs are Silver. There are currently four silver NSXs under $60k ( even an 04 due to extremely high mileage ). Only one Imola orange for sale and that's at $62k. All the LBBP NSXs are in the mid to upper $60K to mid $70k range.

Here's the page link
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...model=NSX&adCertifiedCheck=n&color=#235486802

Not starting another blue vs silver war just wondering where he got his numbers.

p.s I also checked prime and the same holds true blue , yellow and imola orange are selling for more. There's also a blk/blk 05 for sale there as well ;-)

maybe you're right(I'm just getting bitter because I cant get the car/color I want!!)... It just seems of late there are blue 2005s with less than 20k miles for less than 70k. one blue currently on autotrader, one blue on vast.
But there never seems to be black or silvers for less than 70k with less than 20k miles....and I've been looking for about a month and a half.

I saw a blue 04? Honda NSX drive by in vancouver last month and was quite impressed with the boldness of the color. I'm guessing he must have imported it from Europe as it was a left hand drive but had the Honda insigna on the rear tail light.

..oh I talked to the prime member selling his blk on blk and he wants more than $70k

slurpee I am crushed (kidding here!): "But there never seems to be black or silvers for less than 70k with less than 20k miles....and I've been looking for about a month and a half."

Looking for two or more years is not unusual. :redface:

EBay motors today showed a blk blk 6 spd with low miles for BIN reasonable.

For 2004-2005:

3. The trunk has a remote release inside the trunk, in case someone gets locked inside

My 2002 has the remote trunk release... but every thing else looked good.

Besides the color, there was also the rings around the instruments in the gauge cluster.

I just discovered my search on ebay.ca does not give me items from ebay.com which do not have pictures...nice. I now see a silver on black on ebay.com, but no black on black. Do you have the web link? what is BIN?

slurpee I am crushed (kidding here!): "But there never seems to be black or silvers for less than 70k with less than 20k miles....and I've been looking for about a month and a half."

Looking for two or more years is not unusual. :redface:

EBay motors today showed a blk blk 6 spd with low miles for BIN reasonable.

Back