• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2 weeks of ownership - observations & questions

Tonight ends two full weeks of owning my '95 and I have a few beer fueled observations and a few questions.

- First, I love this car. It is precisely what I expected it to be. I've been thinking about buying this car for 10 years. I still can hardly believe it's out there in the the garage. Disappointment factor: zero point zero percent.

- The targa roof is nice, but... Wow wow ow ow ow it gets freaking HOT when it's stored. What do you guys use to save your hands? For now I have a couple clean shop towels in the trunk but I'm thinking I can do better than that.

- Speaking of the roof off, my shoulder belt beats the crap out of my shoulder when the top is off at about 70+ MPH. It gets to vibrating with the wind and the next thing I know it's playing bongos under my neck. Anyone else experience this? What do you do?

- My lovely wife is sorely disappointed with the lack of a make-up mirror in the passenger seat visor. Was that an option? What are my options in adding such a mirror?

- I must admit, as a convertible my MB SLK is better than the NSX. I don't know why, but at highway speeds the NSX seems to punish me more with the top off than the SLK does with the top retracted. It is however quite excellent for early cool morning beach road drives. On balance I am happy I got a "-T" version NSX.

- We took a trip inland early Sunday morning and there's a stretch of road that's nice and wide and straight with great visibility so I opened it up. From a rolling start I took it to the redline in 2nd and 3rd, settling in 5th at about 130 whereupon I immediately hit the brakes and backed down to safe-n-sane. Pretty cool, amazingly stable. Glad I did and I'll probably never do it again. :) I envy you guys that track your cars.

- Had my car in last Wed/Thu for timing belt/water pump service. Going to Acura service after being used to MB service was kind of funny but nice. MB service is nice but very professional. I watch my SLK behind a glass wall in spotless service bays. Acura service I got to go back and hang out with the tech, poke around under the car on the lift, etc. Very nice, very appreciated. The Acura service manager even noticed I'd lost a tire valve cap on my SLK and went and rooted me out a replacement and put it on. I can't imagine the MB guy doing that for my NSX.

- Bonus points for all the looks I get on the street. Fine, I'm an attention whore. At least I'm giving them something worthwhile to look at.

- Negative bonus points for drivers who look at my car instead of what's in front of them. I swear some of them are lined up for a wreck if they don't freaking look forward occasionally.

- I still see way more people distracted by the cell phones held to their ear than distracted by the beauty of my car.

- I read that whole thread about using a car cover and when and all and I still don't know if I want to cover my car at work during the day or not.

- Today -- finally -- I bumped a concrete barrier ever so gently with my front bumper. For some reason I went to double-check I hadn't scratched my bumper and found this piece of plastic lying on the ground in front of my car. "That's strange", I thought, "this is the same color as my car". It was the cover over my tow hook. I knew it was there - sort of. I'm really really glad I went to check and found the piece.

- And finally, I have read the entire FAQ more than twice and searched around so if the Forums Nazi has a problem with my post he can bite me. I'm sure I forgot something but that's it for now. I LOVE MY NSX!

:biggrin:

bodypainter said:
...- Speaking of the roof off, my shoulder belt beats the crap out of my shoulder when the top is off at about 70+ MPH. It gets to vibrating with the wind and the next thing I know it's playing bongos under my neck. Anyone else experience this? What do you do?
Hrant sells a very nice set of seat belt harnasses that will help calm the vibrations and prevent seat belt bruising if you should ever need to use the seat belts in an emergency.

Nice write up. I agree with your observations.

bodypainter said:
- I must admit, as a convertible my MB SLK is better than the NSX. I don't know why, but at highway speeds the NSX seems to punish me more with the top off than the SLK does with the top retracted.

- Today -- finally -- I bumped a concrete barrier ever so gently with my front bumper. For some reason I went to double-check I hadn't scratched my bumper and found this piece of plastic lying on the ground in front of my car. "That's strange", I thought, "this is the same color as my car". It was the cover over my tow hook. I knew it was there - sort of. I'm really really glad I went to check and found the piece.

Many of your thoughts and opinions are similar to mine.

I also drive a MB SLK (SLK32 AMG) as a daily driver and I also think that it is more comfortable with the top down. It is more quiet and less wind buffeting than my NSX-T. But this is perhaps because the top is down and not just a roof panel removed. The rear B pillar on the NSX seems to catch a lot of wind and this makes a lot of noise inside the cabin. I don't have to turn the music up as loud in the SLK. I find that my stereo in the NSX is VERY LOUD when I need to stop at intersections - This can be a little embarassing :redface: Kids with hi amp loud bass can get away with it but it's not my style to share my music with everyone else stopped at the red light.

My NSX suspension is OEM stock and I had been considering Comptech suspension mods that would lower the car about 1" front and 1 1/4" rear and eliminate the body roll. I like the idea of closing the gap in the wheelwells and at the sime time improve the handling. The SLK32 AMG ride is a lot stiffer than the NSX and has much less body roll. I like the ride much better in the SLK, I just hate the NSX body roll. The NSX with OEM suspension will handle the corners much better than the SLK.

I have a WW front spoiler and I am always trying to be careful about entry and exit angles into driveways. About a week ago I was leaving a restaurant with a one-way access. It forced me to enter the street using a very narrow approach and I could feel the wing on the pavement. I did not think much of it at the time as I have heard the spoiler louder on some other driveways. Got home, parked in the garage, turned off the light. I always pull all of the way into the garage and do not walk in front of the car. Well, the next Saturday I got the car out for it's weekly bath before I go for a drive and I noticed that my tow hook cover was missing. :frown: At first I could not figure out what had happened to it. I know that I have never hit anything with the front end. Then I remembered the restaurant from the last weekend. I thought that maybe I would get lucky and go and look for the cover. Yes I found it, but too bad it was in the street for a week. Hard to say how many times it was run over but it sure was not usable anymore! I did get lucky today when I called the Dealer and they located the one-and-only Monte Carlo Blue tow hook cover in the USA. It was also a relief to know that they come in the factory color and do not need to be painted to match the car. Imagine what expense you would have to pay a body shop to paint and color match such a small part. Happily the replacement cover will be here in a couple of days.

If I go with the suspension mods I will have to be even more careful about speed bumps and driveways. I will also have to plan on replacement of the spoiler occasionally because scraping and rubs are going to be unavoidable.

I am happy for you that you found your tow hook cover.
It just does not feel good to have such a beautiful car and know that you are missing something even as small as a tow hook cover.

BTW- You may want to try a seatbelt shoulder pad to keep the belt from beating on you when you have the top off.
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1087

Last edited:
bodypainter said:
- My lovely wife is sorely disappointed with the lack of a make-up mirror in the passenger seat visor. Was that an option? What are my options in adding such a mirror?

:biggrin:

Your wife looks so good in an NSX she doesn't need a make-up mirror :biggrin:

bodypainter said:
- The targa roof is nice, but... Wow wow ow ow ow it gets freaking HOT when it's stored. What do you guys use to save your hands? For now I have a couple clean shop towels in the trunk but I'm thinking I can do better than that.
I generally keep a pair of clean, heavy, leather gloves behind the driver's seat.

Cruzrmm said:
The SLK32 AMG ride is a lot stiffer than the NSX and has much less body roll.
Seriously? Your AMG must be a whole lot stiffer than my SLK230, which rides like a hovercraft compared to the NSX.

bodypainter said:
I have a passenger side sun visor stored in my house removed from my track only '98 NSX cp. This visor is grey, has a make up mirror (stock!) and you can have it if you want to replace your mirrorless one.

Downside: I'm not sure if it fits in a T version...

I bought one of those clip on mirrors from the autoparts store. it is larger then the visor so I don't store it up there but keep it in the glove box for my wife and she just pulls it out when she needs it.

bodypainter said:
Seriously? Your AMG must be a whole lot stiffer than my SLK230, which rides like a hovercraft compared to the NSX.

Yes, the suspension difference between the SLK32 AMG and the NSX is like night and day. I very much like how the AMG rides. The NSX body moves around a lot more. But even with the body roll the NSX handles fast corners much better. The SLK has a tendency to oversteer and push through tight turns. All of the MB articles noted huge differences between all of the early SLK models (power, suspension, handling, etc.). Many owners state that the suspension is stiffer on the SLK32 than they prefer but they make this comparrison to the more luxury ride models rather than the AMG sport class.
Like your SLK 230 (V4), the SLK32 AMG is supercharged (V6) but the comparison stops there.
SLK32 AMG - 349HP 0-60 in 4.8 sec.

I put a CTSC 6psi on the NSX so that it would have similar power to the SLK32.
Now I just need to tweek the suspension a little and I will have the NSX tuned "just right" for me.
I like the fact that the NSX is easily modified to personal taste and needs.

I will probably keep the SLK32 for another year or two and then consider something else, perhaps a SLK55 / SL55.
But I will keep the NSX indefinatly. :biggrin:

Enjoy your cars- you have made good choices!

bodypainter said:
- Negative bonus points for drivers who look at my car instead of what's in front of them. I swear some of them are lined up for a wreck if they don't freaking look forward occasionally.

That's actually happened to me. Someone on a motorcycle was looking at my car and ran right into the truck in front of him. I know it was totally his fault, but I sorta felt bad about it.

I drove the new SLK with the AMG package-- a lot of body roll, I'm surprise you think the suspension of the SLK is stiffer than the X. To me, the SLK seem to "float" around in cornering. The SLK was a stick BTW.

Vizal said:
I drove the new SLK with the AMG package-- a lot of body roll, I'm surprise you think the suspension of the SLK is stiffer than the X. To me, the SLK seem to "float" around in cornering. The SLK was a stick BTW.

I drive the SLK32 AMG every day and I still put about 1,000 mi every month on the NSX.

After putting many 1,000's of miles on both cars I can tell you that the NSX handles much better going fast through the corners. But there is a lot more body movement in the NSX. As I mentioned above, the SLK does understeer. I do not have the sensation of "float" as you mention. I guess that driving the AMG daily allows me to take advantage of knowing the limits of the vehicle. If I really want to take a backroads blast I take the NSX :biggrin:

BTW- I see that you are referring to a New SLK AMG, that would be the SLK55 AMG.... I have not had the opportunity to drive a new SLK55 AMG, they are still relatively hard to find. My SLK 32 AMG is a 2002 (V6 Supercharged). The New SLK350's are quite common. Some of the SLK350's have an AMG aero kit option, but are not the same as a fully tuned AMG SLK55 (V8, suspension, brakes, etc.). Basically, all new SLK's are completely redesigned. Most of the articles give the new SLK55 AMG praise with one common comment that the steering feels a little "disconnected". There is no mention of float or body roll. I think that I have read most articles about the SLK55 (I am thinking of buying one). Maybe I missed something...

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good source (pricing and availability) for the Hrant seat belt harness that NsXMas mentions above?

That is really weird that two people posted that the wind noise in the T was excessive. I had a Z3 and the wind noise in my NSXT is NOTHING compared to what it is in Z.

With the top off in the NSX I think noise is very minimal. If the windows are up I can easily talk on a cell phone at 70 MPH. Hmmm...

bodypainter said:

hehe. I lost my towhook cover on a 'possum.

poor critter

Back