• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2004 NSXPO caravan/travel plans...

I would encourage instructers who have never seen the track to get a day in before hand.Once you get to the hotel allow about 30 min to get to the track if you are staying in corning.

Yeah, you're right. What the heck, it's only time and money :rolleyes: . Count me in for the early caravan and trackmaster event on Thursday.

Jeff

Early caravaners

If you "early caravaners" need a place to stay in No. VA./DC area, I can accomodate two (maybe three) and of course can provide safe parking- and one garage space.

Sig- good idea on meeting at your place for the "main caravan".

FYI- From DC to NY (Watkins Glen is in the Western part of the state) it may be easier to take the Dulles Toll Rd/Greenway to Leesburg VA and then North on Rte. 15 thru Harrisburg, PA.

sorry to be silent for the past few days, comrades, I've been away in FLA at Sebring for Chin Motorsports.

We (Maria and I) are IN on the early arrival (wed PM) and bonus track day on Thursday. We are also potentially instructing, and feel the same way as DONYMO about visiting the Glen, although I would refrain from saying 'best track in the country' until I've had the chance to drive them ALL :D .

Wei-Shen Chin will likely also join us.

So, a tentative suggestion would be:
depart ATl on Tues, arrive DC area Tues PM for overnight.
Wed, DC to Glen, arriving Wed PM, c/i to NSXPO hotel
Thurs, full track day at the Glen. Thurs PM, NSXPO opens.
Fri, Sat, Sun continuous overdosing on all things NSX, and the fantastic camaraderie that comes along with it.
Mon, Tues, NSXPO track days at the Glen.
Tues PM, depart track at conclusion, driving a couple hours or so, stopping wherever we are around 8pm or so (not much stamina following the track event!)
Wed, long driving day (10-11 hours) puts us back in ATL...

Everybody, comment/change/modify as needed

The proposed schedule sounds good to me. I've registered for the TrackMasters event. You have to contact the Tony guy to get permission to attend it, as it was originally scheduled to be a novice only day. But they are real flexible.

It's gonna be a great week. I'm in.

Jeff

Tony Funicello and yes related to Annette!great guy and one of the best instructers around,sort of the instructers' instructer.Have fun on Thursday folks, maybe I'll pop on over and grab some right seat rides to help out!

Last edited:
I used to live in Rochester, I went to college in Ithaca, and was born in Elmira. Talk about an old stomping ground!

I contacted an old friend, Karla Kuzawinski, who instructs for TrackMasters, and she plans on visiting Thurday too. This will be a blast :D

Do you mean right seat rides? Wouldn't left seat rides be driving?

Jeff

Thanks, Change made,but hay left seat's ok with me to.

Hey what is this about a track event on Thursday? Is it open to anyone who wants to register? If so can someone point me to that info?

What about those who may not be doing the track event? My passenger (father) can't exactly take that many days off so is there going to be a seperate caravan for that?

-x-

Lud said:
Hey what is this about a track event on Thursday? Is it open to anyone who wants to register? If so can someone point me to that info?

Trackmasters runs only one level school and the rest is open track. On those days, they have a Novice school only and it is sold out.

Check with Tony Funicello at Trackmasters to see if accomodations can be made because I believe at least one exception was already made for an NSXer.

VBNSX said:
What about those who may not be doing the track event? My passenger (father) can't exactly take that many days off so is there going to be a seperate caravan for that?

-x-

There will probably be 2 caravans, an early one for the few (instructors) lucky enough to get in to the TrackMasters event. The main caravan originally discussed here will probably have a lot more attendees. It'll happen, that's my guess.

For the early caravan, we have Don, me, Mark & Maria (and Dixie the dog?) and maybe Wei-Shen. Don't know if we'll be picking up anyone on the way (let us know please). Everyone else would probably be in the caravan discussed above by Sig and DCNSX.

Jeff

What is the roll call for the SE caravan?

I am going to try and get some days off work to make it, but cant be sure yet. I can probably meet some of the Atlanta NSXers in Knoxville if schedules permit?

So... Who's coming thru / staying overnight in DC on Oct. 6??? We need to locate a restaurant and start some planning for the dinner. I'd like to get a good turnout of local guys to meet the guys heading up to NSXPO.

Also- Any DC-area guys want to offer a room to those coming through?

DCNSX said:
Also- Any DC-area guys want to offer a room to those coming through?

I have a spare room at my house someone can use. Since it looks like the caravan may be leaving from my house the following morning, it may be very convenient as well.

The group that is going for early arrival at the Glen...

As far as the four of us (3 from Atl, 1 from Fla) that are going up a day early to get an extra track day at Watkins Glen, before NSXPO, here is our latest plan: leaving Atl on Tues, the best route would use I-81, passing well to the west of DC, and since the traveling time is already considerable, it seems counter-productive to detour through DC. Y'all are awesome to offer to accomodate us, but it really makes the most sense for us to stop at a motel along the I-81 corridor Tues nite... see the route below. I'm not sure of the status of other SE NSXers who will be making the drive on Wednesday, and others that may be heading up the I-95 corridor... seems like you should still be able to get a group together. Another alternative, especially for those in the DC area who are not attending, if you want to have a dinner, if you didn't mind making a rendezvous around Winchester, VA... we could all get together there on Tuesday night as we pass through those parts.

Attachments

• image_map.gif
    image_map.gif
    53.8 KB · Views: 164
We'll have to play it by ear. Winchester is about an hour west of DC (where I-66 intersects with I-81). My cousin is from the area so if you'd like some restaurant recommendations I can inquire. If you know what time you'll arrive there that will help our planning. There are several hotels in the area that are used to the performance-car crowd; lots of drivers at nearby Summit Point stay in Winchester.

Back