• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3 speed tix/$2 K in poss fines/in 1 hr

such a trusted source, too! :redface: Have driven some of this road following NSXPO Portland- it is sooo cool! There were speed cops pretty much everywhere.
But this dude brings a serious velocity-head to not being late to court for a "speed" violation :tongue:

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Traffic officers along Interstate 84 in Oregon's Columbia River Gorge say a lead-footed driver was in such a hurry to make a court date on a meth possession charge that he racked up $2,000 worth of speeding tickets in an hour.

Police say 34-year-old Jose Romero-Valenzuela of Las Vegas, Nev., was zooming west Wednesday morning and got pulled over three times – first at 105 mph, then at 98 mph and finally at 92 mph.

Police say the last ticket appeared to have an effect. Down the road a bit, a trooper set up watch and clocked him at the limit, 65 mph.

Besides fines and penalties, police say his license could be suspended for up to 90 days if he's found guilty on the citation alleging driving in excess of 100 mph.

Police confirm he was indeed scheduled for a court appearance later Wednesday in Oregon City, south of Portland.

What suprise me the most about this is that he was busted at 105 and they let him go. :eek:

As far as letting him go, if he wasn't being charged with anything criminal, there's not really any choice. Can't book for a ticket. Not sure where Oregon laws are different from Washington, but here, reckless drivers have to show a "wanton and willful" disregard for the safety of human life.

If there's nobody around, speeding might not qualify. If traffic is going 30 on the freeway and you're weaving through at 55, it might get you booked and your car towed.

As far as letting him go, if he wasn't being charged with anything criminal, there's not really any choice. Can't book for a ticket. Not sure where Oregon laws are different from Washington, but here, reckless drivers have to show a "wanton and willful" disregard for the safety of human life.

If there's nobody around, speeding might not qualify. If traffic is going 30 on the freeway and you're weaving through at 55, it might get you booked and your car towed.

Well in my younger WA State days, I was clocked at 125 in a 25 on NE 8th on the way to the cheesecake factory late one night...

There were no cars on the road and the officer said he debated on even trying to stop me since he knew if I decided to run he would never catch me, he did not arrest me although he said I was "being detained temporarily" or something like that - he let me off with a big ticket and a stern warning.

Try that nowadays.

In VA, anything 20+ over the posted speed limit is reckless driving and is an arrestable offense.

Speed limit 25, if you're caught going 46, you can technically go to jail. Most highways are 55, so, 75+ is reckless.

Back