• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AM clutch installed, pops out of gear

I did a search but didn't see anything stating specifics about slippage.

My clutch is an Exedy stg4. I've read that people experience issues with grinding slightly when shifting into gears. My problem is mainly 1st gear, and not staying engaged. I shift into gear, and the tranny or something kicks itself right back outta gear. Or worse, I attempt to shift into gear with the clutch engaged and it tries to kick out mid push and grinds like a son of a bitch. And it's bad enough to make ya wanna cry if you actually care about your car. I would say that 1 in 20 shift attempts into 1st results in a grind.

I've tried to have it adjusted multiple times, but to no avail. And no happy ending. I'm wondering if there is a way to ease this prob, or hopefully END this problem.

Details; when trying to adjust this prob then the tranny wanted to kick out 2nd gear. Also, when I had the clutch pedal height adjusted to be lower for quicker engagement this also seemed to interfere with the 1st gear engaging properly.

I'm just begining to really regret switching from an OEM clutch to this after market clutch.:frown: If anyone can lend some positive insight towards a solution, or let me know how common this is with high clamp press. clutches.... I'd really appreciate it. :redface:

is it the twin disc

if it is might need the initialization step in the shop manual page 12-16

not sure if the exedy needs it but if it does that might be your problem if the shop isn't aware of it.

Check the snap-ring.

HTH,
LarryB

At the risk of sounding ignorant....how would I do that? And will this type of issue happen if the snap ring is broke? I can't remember what it affects, but I know it's NOT good and expensive. Please, please, please tell me I'm wrong.

I'm gonna search in the mean time. Thanks for the input Larry!

Go to the FAQ and look up "Troubleshooting/Transmission Snap-Ring"

There is a cover for it you can remove on the trans to check it. LMK if you have any questions.

Regards,
LarryB

Well, my car seems to be showing symptoms that it would be the snap ring. And I checked the number on the trans case and it falls into the range for failure. However, I don't hear any grinding sounds while driving. The only time it grinds is when I'm trying to put it into first gear and then kicks slightly out of gear and then grinds.

I do have the shifter fore and aft bounce really bad in 1st & 2nd gear. But when I shift into 3,4,5 gears I don't experience any more of these issues except one. When at high speeds shifting into 5th I get a slight grind as if the clutch isn't all the way engaged. But I don't get this when traveling at lower speeds / lower rpms.

So far it all seems like a nightmare. Only because I just spent $2k for a clutch and now this. But I am going to try and see if I can check the snap ring so that I know for sure. Depending on how labor intensive it is.

Back