• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any tips for shipping a car from out of state.

Hi all,

I am closing in on a deal for a new NSX. I am having the dealer ship the car from out of state.

For people that have done this or know about the process, any helpful tips?

It’s coming enclosed transport. I will check out the shipper and their insurance. I won’t pay until delivery. Any other tips?

Do I simply go down to the California DMV and pay the state taxes and registration fees?

Thanks for the help. Can’t wait to join you lucky owners, it’s gonna be a long 3 weeks.

Darren.

Firstly, congrats on your new purchase.

(1) Ask for some photos for the car before shipment so you can compare once car has arrived to see if any damages have been done.
(2) This might already be done since it's a new car, but ask for the car to be washed prior to photos and loading. Otherwise, it will be hard to inspect the car when it arrives.
(3) Ask the dealer to take photos of the truck, license plate of cab, license plate of trailer and any other ID markings.
(4) Ask the transport if they support GPS tracking? This allows you to see where the car is while it is being transported to you. Usually this is an extra cost, but it gives you peace of mind knowing where it is.
(5) If possible, try to get the driver's phone number so you can contact the driver on the day of delivery. Sometimes transporters do not provide this and force you to talk to the main office.
(6) Have the dealer secure mail you one of the keys. No reason to give both to the driver.

Good luck

For CA, there is a time range for you to pay registration fee. Make note of when the car arrives into CA because that is when the clock starts, not when you bought the car. If needed, use the bill of lading documents to prove when the car arrived.

For CA, there is a time range for you to pay registration fee. Make note of when the car arrives into CA because that is when the clock starts, not when you bought the car. If needed, use the bill of lading documents to prove when the car arrived.

You most likely will need to have it smogged also, which will require a trip to the Peoples Republic of California DMV (don't ask me how I know)....JM2C..I could be wrong...:tongue:

Firstly, congrats on your new purchase.

(1) Ask for some photos for the car before shipment so you can compare once car has arrived to see if any damages have been done.
(2) This might already be done since it's a new car, but ask for the car to be washed prior to photos and loading. Otherwise, it will be hard to inspect the car when it arrives.
(3) Ask the dealer to take photos of the truck, license plate of cab, license plate of trailer and any other ID markings.
(4) Ask the transport if they support GPS tracking? This allows you to see where the car is while it is being transported to you. Usually this is an extra cost, but it gives you peace of mind knowing where it is.
(5) If possible, try to get the driver's phone number so you can contact the driver on the day of delivery. Sometimes transporters do not provide this and force you to talk to the main office.
(6) Have the dealer secure mail you one of the keys. No reason to give both to the driver.

Good luck

Thanks for the info!

This might also fall under (1) on natcc's list, but make sure they give you a picture of the odometer. You wouldn't want the transport driver (or anyone else for that matter) to put excess miles on your car. It should really have no more than 1 additional mile than when the car was loaded on to the truck.

Purchased two previous cars from out of state. It is a 20-day period from the time the vehicle enters the state to do a smog, VIN verification, and register/pay taxes.

Purchased two previous cars from out of state. It is a 20-day period from the time the vehicle enters the state to do a smog, VIN verification, and register/pay taxes.

My dealer is insisting that they pay the taxes but who do they send them to. I would have thought I pay the taxes at DMV when I register the car? I am not worried that when registering the car DMV will try to collect taxes again and I will have issues proving that the dealer paid them. Not even sure whom they are planning to pay. Dealer is checking on it and will get back to me today.

My dealer is insisting that they pay the taxes but who do they send them to. I would have thought I pay the taxes at DMV when I register the car? I am not worried that when registering the car DMV will try to collect taxes again and I will have issues proving that the dealer paid them. Not even sure whom they are planning to pay. Dealer is checking on it and will get back to me today.

On a brand new vehicle, the dealer will be paying the taxes to the state that the car will be registered in. Out of state transactions can be a hassle because you are dealing with tax rates and license fee's that are different than your own state. On a used car you would go in and pay it directly at the DMV but since the dealership submitting registration information when the car is marked as sold on a new car it is handled by them.

On a brand new vehicle, the dealer will be paying the taxes to the state that the car will be registered in. Out of state transactions can be a hassle because you are dealing with tax rates and license fee's that are different than your own state. On a used car you would go in and pay it directly at the DMV but since the dealership submitting registration information when the car is marked as sold on a new car it is handled by them.

Thank you. Does that mean the dealer sends the mone to the DMV on my behalf?

Thank you. Does that mean the dealer sends the mone to the DMV on my behalf?

Correct. That’s a good way to summarize it. That’s why the selling price of a new car is different than the total out the door number you pay. The dealership collects the sales tax as well as title and license fee’s that are due based on where the car will be registered.

On a used vehicle that is being registered out of state typically they only collect the selling price of the vehicle and then you are responsible for going to the DMV to pay sales tax and registration.

I’ve bought many new cars out of state and NEVER paid the selling dealer any taxes, nor have they asked to collect them. Nor does the selling dealer do any of the registration process. I do sign a notarized affidavit saying I’m responsible for paying the taxes in my home state. Dealer also turn over to you the original “Certificate of Origin”, which you then remit to the DMV at registration, along with sales taxes, and fees. Also the Certificate of Origin specifies the vehicle is 50 state emissions compliant, so no smog needed either. Pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
I’ve bought many new cars out of state and NEVER paid the selling dealer any taxes, nor have they asked to collect them. Nor does the selling dealer do any of the registration process. I do sign a notarized affidavit saying I’m responsible for paying the taxes in my home state. Dealer also gives to the original “Certificate of Origin”, which you turn over to the DMV at registration, and taxes and fees. The Certificate of Origin also specifies whether the vehicle is 50 state emissions compliant, so no smog needed either. Pretty straightforward.

I suppose it is possible, it is a headache for the dealership to calculate the correct taxes and fees for an out of state deal so I suppose if you sign an affidavit it’s the easy way out for the dealer. I have always included those into costs so customers can include them in financing if they are not paying them up front. Both will work. To each dealer his own

It varies from state to state. I've dealt with importing cars into CA from PA, UT, and as of yesterday, AZ.

The transaction from PA was a used car and the dealer did not collect the tax. It was paid at time of registration at the CA DMV.

The transaction from UT in 2015 was also a used vehicle. The dealer collected tax because the state of UT has some type of arrangement with CA DMV and could be wired over.

We'll see how the AZ transaction plays out since it is a lease.

Both times they wanted smog checks and VIN verifications. No big deal. Took an hour to do both.

It really depends on which state you purchase from and whether they have an agreement with DMVs in other states.

Hello

Not sure if this will help, but take a look at Section 7 in the REG 343 Form. Looks like if you pay tax at another state it might be credited towards taxes in CA?
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...&CACHEID=8c4e5fdb-a44e-44f6-853b-eabd471afdaa

Which states:
For vehicles which enter the state within 1 year of purchase, was Sales Tax paid to another state? ............................ N/A Yes No
If yes, enter amount of tax paid $ _____(this amount will be credited toward any Use Tax in CA). If your vehicle was last
registered in another state, you may be eligible for a Use Tax exemption. For more information, contact the Board of Equalization (www.boe.ca.gov).

If you have AAA, I suggest making an appointment and asking them for advice. I heard they can help with some of the registration. Good luck.

Last edited:
I agree with natcc99. You need to first ensure that the company you are hiring is trustworthy and provides a quality service along with the car insurance. After then, you must confirm about through which mode of transportation, they are going to use, so that your automobile travel in the safe condition. If you want to know more details about the shipping a car out of state, you can browse on the site here and can contact the expert who can provide you with detail information of safe transportation.

Back