• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone like old (2nd gen) Celicas?

Tonight I hit up the floor boards on the Celica with a wire wheel. Got about 2/3 done before my wire wheel ran out of wires. They were all in my skin, so it seemed. So I finished some loose ends, ground off the rivets holding on the dash VIN plate (lol) and put the wipers assembly back in. Then I went inside and decided to see what I'm working with on the rustiest rear quarter window frame. Bleak. I also spent a few minutes playing with an old Pioneer P6800 deck that wouldn't power on. Another case of a broken ribbon cable. I found this online for $15 so I think I'm gonna pick it up, solder it on, and maybe have a successful repair on a nice oldschool radio!Now it's time to chill with the cat.

Damn is the 5speed really that good? Better than the NSX? haha.

No where near as nice as the NSX, but better than the early 80's Corolla and the '88 Celica for sure.

Is that a first gen in the background?

Yup...we rented it for a student film I was shooting at the time.

BTW, your cat reminds me of my cat Meeko...who passed away last year. :(

013_30D_03681-X2.jpg

Ah Meeko's a cutie. Something about cats with long hair, they're sure regal, aren't they? Sorry to hear about the loss though :(Today I took some time to keep gutting the parts car. I realized there's almost a full black interior I can make work in the good car. Back seat, about 80% of the plastic parts, dashboard, etc. I ALSO snagged the rear 1/4 windows, and the frames are solid!!!! :)This is about all that's left.. I'm probably gonna pull the column still because the parts car has tilt.. so why not?This was a neat surprise.The rust underneath all the panels is pretty rough.On the flip side.. my floor boards are now POR15'd One square of rotten metal around one of the floor plugs I cut out and slapped in a new piece of metal.Slid the top cover back in after I painted it black. POR15'd some other bits, too. Kitty wearing my Sakura Works medical mask as a cute shirt thingy?

Had a busy weekend, barely had any time to work on the car. I picked at it a bit, got the pedals in, etc.
Today I built some little brackets for some new 4x6s in the dash.

Waiting on that darn ribbon cable still.. the radio is in bits, lol

Then it was time to wash and wax the NSX for winter. The paint is really garbage right now, it needs claybar, polish, and wax in the worst way. But that's for next spring. All it's getting this year is a final drive to the winter getaway.

Tonight I took the cutting wheel to the car for my favorite part.

Then we harvest organs from the Audi fenders.

Use my hammer and brick and get something close..

And that's where I left off for now, didn't stick em to the car yet

Finally the panel bond is in!! Time to stick the patches in and prepare for undercoating. I've really been digging this 3M 08115 for repairs like this.. stuff that's out of sight, non-structural, and most being done to "make it so there's not a hole there". Every single patch going onto the car so far (in this wave, not counting the engine bay repairs) is going to be under side skirts, fenders, etc, so the big thing here is to just stop junk from getting into the frame rails and stuff.

Finishing up some grinding on the bits like driveshafts and bumpers, getting ready for POR15

The rear bumper is a little rotten, but it's all underneath the plastic bumper cover, so it'll be fine. It's not a concourse level restore, but if I stumble across an unrotten bumper I'd be down to swap.

And.. a new key cyl for my tilt column!!

Need to move the wiring a wee bit on the '78 multifunction switch since the key cylinder is cast in the way on the tilt column from the '81

Undercoating, brake lines, and rear brakes are all taken care of, and the axle's back in, too!

Gave the trans a little clean and paint, too

Here's something a little more exciting, I started tearing down the 22R engine today. I'm hoping for some advice/opinions from some of you guys who maybe have more engine experience than I do, more on that below.

Starting the teardown

A bunch of stuff, most of which won't be going back on. Don't the power steering.. going to go with a 1 wire alt, etc.

Some ding dong broke a bolt on the water pump. I was worried on about 3 of the bolts, but they came free. Apparently the previous owner wasn't so lucky. 10mm bolts into aluminum are always trouble, galvanic corrosion seems to be a killer. Not the first one I've had to extract.

The valve train looked great, nice and clean.

Then I popped the head off. Two of the bores looked nice

One bore had a weird pattern on it.. I can only assume that some moisture was in that cylinder and it sat for a while with the piston at that point. It's not quite as smooth as the rest of the bore where its stained, but doesn't really catch a fingernail, either. What's the thoughts on something like this, hone and re-ring?

And the final piston had some interesting little dings on the top of it. There's no major scratches or anything in the bore, so it's kind of a mystery as to what the heck happened here. As it stands right now I don't think I'm going to replace it.

However, the bore also has what looks like a wear spot. It's not any rougher to the touch/feel, but is just a slightly different color. Thoughts on that?

Rotating assembly.. nothing seems amiss there.

The oil pan had a bunch of gunk in the bottom. If you've ever dropped the pan on an auto trans car.. that's what it reminded me of. It felt like a thin layer of clutch material gunk. Do we just have some basic sludge here? What in the heck else could that ish be?

Back