• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big NSX Racing Radiator

A few people from NSXPO wanted to see pictures of the new custom fabricated NSX racing radiator..

comparison.jpg

Comparison between racing and stock radiator.

installed.jpg

Installed except for coolant hose and mounting hardware.

It's a modified version of this radiator with a shroud and two 13" Spal fans attached

------------------
All My NSX'es Live in Texas

[This message has been edited by NSXTC (edited 10 November 2002).]

Looks great! Does this one have an oil cooler included? How did you attach the fans?

No Oil cooler... we were going simply for max engine cooling and wanted to avoid the extra complexity of the oil cooler option, operating under the theory of keeping the whole system cool will in turn insure that the oil temps remain within spec. We were having overheating problems with the stock radiator on hot days at the track.

For 99% of the people out there, the stock radiator and oil cooler (yes, there is one on the engine block that is cooled by engine coolant) is fine, so this mod is really not something you need unless you do serious track work in hot climates.

stock_oil_cooler.jpg

I know there are a number of other NSX owners in Cali and Arizona that have the Big radiator in one form or another, but none with the integrated shroud and Spal fans. You can order it with the shroud and fans pre-installed on the radiator. Saves a lot of fabrication time that you would otherwise have to do on your own, and comes out looking a heck of a lot more professional as well!

finished.jpg

here's a shot of the completed project so as to dispel all those who think they have to lose the spare tire to run the big radiator! Ill usually keep the spare in, except for track events. Notice that some of the electronics that usually sit down low behind the stock radiator had to be moved up and out of the way. Also, the stock coolant hose on the driver’s side wont work, so you have to get a cool-flex hose, and route it a bit differently than stock.

Lastly, you will see that we keep the stock wire harness intact up to the plug for the radiator fan, but we have fed that to a 30 amp relay sitting in between the fans. To keep down on fan noise, Honda has designed the electrical system so that the stock fan usually gets less than 12volts, depending on a number of variables, and only sees the full 12v when the A/C system pressure is above a certain value, and of course the coolant temp is hot enough. Since we don’t run the A/C at the track, and we always want the full 12v once the coolant temp sensor triggers, we installed the relay.

Hope this helps!

------------------
All My NSX'es Live in Texas

[This message has been edited by NSXTC (edited 10 November 2002).]

The rad looks great Marc. I wonder what the fluid capacity is now and how big a reduction in temp. you'll experience. I just ordered one. . .well, tried to. . .MJ's site seems to be down. I'm thinking going with the mounted fans will be a good thing for me. And my mechanic will have to do the constant 12v thingee for me. Unless MJ has specific instructions. . .

Again, it looks great. Twice the size of OEM. Sweet.

Originally posted by NSXTC:
No Oil cooler... we were going simply for max engine cooling and wanted to avoid the extra complexity of the oil cooler option, operating under the theory of keeping the whole system cool will in turn insure that the oil temps remain within spec.

it won't, it will just help a little - the OEM "oil cooler" does not have enough surface area.

We were having overheating problems with the stock radiator on hot days at the track. For 99% of the people out there, the stock radiator and oil cooler (yes, there is one on the engine block that is cooled by engine coolant) is fine, so this mod is really not something you need unless you do serious track work in hot climates.

you only think that because you do not have an oil temp gauge installed yet.
biggrin.gif

This thing:

stock_oil_cooler.jpg

is there to help stabilize the oil/water temp for best street operation. (and it works great for that, keeping the oil temp under 200F 99% of the time)

However, on the track (in 10-15 laps, not 24 hours) your oil temp can easily hit 330F in a stock NSX at normal comfortable ambient temps like 70F. Large oil pans like the one I make delay the inevitable, they do not prevent it. Ask any oil company if that is a good thing for the lubricating qualities of the oil they make and see what they say. Ask some oil cooler companies what they think. The consensus from who I talked to:

Ideal oil temp = water temp or LESS.

JMO, I'm sure you will hear other points of view.

------------------
need more info? please private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

Back