• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cheap Infrared Thermometer

All of you wondering what your rotor or caliper temps are when you finish a run at the track now have a much cheaper way to find out. Sears is selling this model for only $49.99 with a 10% discount if you are a craftsman club member. Even has the laser pointer.

Attachments

• 03482327000-dlv.jpg
    03482327000-dlv.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 594
Yes this seems to be a great price, and Sears stores are available almost anywhere ........... I have seen rear rotor temps as high as 450-480 but it was a Tarox. Since this has a limit of low 500, how high do the rotors temp go on the track in high ambient temps ....... just making sure it covers the range, unless they ahve another model too ........?

POWERED by HONDA said:
Can this be used to guage tire temperatures (inner, middle, outter) as well?

Many people will state emphatically that non-contact pyrometers are of no use for tire temps because you need the temperature below the surface where it is a bit more stable and representative of the true operating temperature. Personally, I have one and find that position to be over stated. I certainly can see the relative temps across the tire and between tires, so I get an idea about pressures and suspension settings. However, for better and more accurate absolute readings I am getting a probe type as well. Tire guys can tell you ideal operating temperatures, especially for R compound and slicks, and a probe type is necessary to do it right.

Will this unit suffice the basic weekend warrior looking to extend the mileage of his rotors and Kumho's? That's all I'm looking for.
Not a real racer.
Len

skip the IR models for tires

Skip trying to use an IR model for tires. For $100, you can get a proper unit for this application:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=200&catid=7

The IR units are good for shooting rotor / caliper temps and things you can't reach easily, like headers, etc.

They complement each other.

For tuning, I use these:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=188&catid=7

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=210&catid=8

...along with a decent stopwatch for "roundabout" measures during a session and a Hot Lap timer for the driver to get in-car feedback and for review once a session is over (transponder times from an AMB system aren't always available on testing days).

Having the memory functions on the units isn't a luxury for me... it's a necessity. I may measure 3-4 sets of temps during a 20-30 minute testing session... yes, I can write them down after each measure, but I also have to time the car and talk to the driver.

When I get back to the paddock/garage area, I review the saved numbers and put them into a spreadsheet along with other data, including:

Spring rate
Damper settings (high speed compression, low speed compression and rebound)
Swaybar type and setting
Track temperature (good for measuring with an IR pyrometer)
Ambient air temperature / humidity
Alignment settings
etc.
etc.

All this data is tracked and logged and small adjustments are made between sessions to try and accomplish several things:

1. get the car neutral throughout the phases of a corner, or sometimes a slight oversteer tendency
2. get the tire temps even across the face of the tire
3. get the tire temps into the optimum operating range for the particular tire we are running
4. get the tire pressures at the right level for the tire type and vehicle weight at each corner
5. most importantly... reduce lap times

Understand that this data is ultimately to be combined with logged data coming from a data acquisition system, which gives insight into a LOT more about what's going on during a lap that leads to the after-the-fact results that you read with tire temps and pressures. This stuff (suspension travel, brake force, Gs in a turn, etc) aren't that important for a weekend track junkie, but the tire stuff above absolutely is.

EDR

Just an update on this thread.

Costco now carries an Alltrade digital infrared thermometer that reads from -40F to 932F and cost is only $68.99. I bought one since the Sears had a limitation once readings reached 550+ and the rotors do reach 600 in the paddock area.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with this one, since anything purchased at Costco has a lifetime guarantee!!! (liquor and computers excluded) Keep your reciepts. :wink:

Hrant said:
Just an update on this thread.

Costco now carries an Alltrade digital infrared thermometer that reads from -40F to 932F and cost is only $68.99. I bought one since the Sears had a limitation once readings reached 550+ and the rotors do reach 600 in the paddock area.

Back