• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

COTA - Turn by turn driving tips article - by Billy Johnson

Thanks. Are you going to do this for other tracks too?

Have you be on the new 6 plus mile track at SMMP. I would like a turn by turn. Best would be me sitting in the right seat but here would be fine. Lance

Wow Billy you are using a lot of curbing, great run and write up. I did not dare use that much curbing there the red/white stuff is no problem but the Orange bits are another issue. We had a guy in our group, I think it was a spec Miata, brake his front suspension by using too much curbing.

I wish I had your write up before my track event. You doing Road Atlanta any time soon.

Last edited:
Wow Billy you are using a lot of curbing, great run and write up. I did not dare use that much curbing there the red/white stuff is no problem but the Orange bits are another issue. We had a guy in our group, I think it was a spec Miata, brake his front suspension by using too much curbing.

I wish I had your write up before my track event. You doing Road Atlanta any time soon.
The orange 'bread-boxes' aren't too bad, it's the large mountains at the apex of the hairpins that can break stuff.

I might do a RA article next.

Hey guys on the topic of COTA these guys are heading your way http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/10-fast-facts-austin-400 this is Australia's and New Zealands premier motorsport series well worth the entry fee so if you live nearby go watch some racing fron downunder in your back yard!
Its on this weekend.

Last edited:
Nice Billy! Thanks for sharing. I'm jealous of your track adventures. Ha!
A few of my So Cal buddies took their cars to COTA this past weekend, but I couldn't pull of the trip. Maybe one day.

oooh, like to hear about Road Atlanta.

Excellent! Track looks amazing, I was fortunate to be able to go to the grand prix last year and there is a bright future for COTA!

... I think it was a spec Miata, brake his front suspension by using too much curbing.

Miata suspensions are pretty tough. Are you maybe talking about one of the guys (Keith from FM or Andrew from TSE) who had rear hub failures (at Willow Springs and MRLS, respectively) recently?

Back