• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dent repair advice

Hello everyone,

A woman backed up her Jeep into my NSX. It was a very slow bump into my rear passenger panel. The dent was made by the Jeep's spare tire.

The person at the collision repair shop explained that the rear panel AND the passenger door need to be repainted and blended to match:confused:????? WTF?
This seems like too much work to be done. It is not a large dent (less than 1/4" deep) and the paint is not damaged. I hope there is a paintless dent repair that can take care of this.
I just don't want to have a quarter of my car repainted and not match if it does not need it.

If anyone has experienced this and/or knows where to take my car please let me know. any advice is greatly appreciated. I will also speak with some local car guys on Saturday about this

Thanks,
-DREW-

Last edited:
There is no way the body shop would be allowed to blend my door also. The reason they would do this is to make a very gradual blend so the untrained eye wont notice. Better solution, paint it with the exact color to begin with. It could be more work, but, the painter could paint a test part and then compare colors and adjust accordingly. If you have the right color there is no need for a blend.

Hello everyone,

A woman backed up her Jeep into my NSX. It was a very slow bump into my rear passenger panel. The dent was made by the Jeep's spare tire.

The person at the collision repair shop explained that the rear panel AND the passenger door need to be repainted and blended to match:confused:????? WTF?
This seems like too much work to be done. It is not a large dent (less than 1/4" deep) and the paint is not damaged. I hope there is a paintless dent repair that can take care of this.
I just don't want to have a quarter of my car repainted and not match if it does not need it.

If anyone has experienced this and/or knows where to take my car please let me know. any advice is greatly appreciated. I will also speak with some local car guys on Saturday about this

Thanks,
-DREW-
I would look into the paintless dent repair as I put a dent in my wife's CRV that was about the same size. The repair was better than expected but not absolutely perfect for about $95. I don't know how aluminum responds to this type of repair but the shop that does paintless repair will have a better idea. If this is unsatisfactory then you can still go the paint route. I wouldn't want to have the blend go into the door either and you might not have to as black is one of the easiest colors to match.

Hi guys,

I replaced the rocker panel that the jeeps tow hitch destroyed. (see pic.) The paint matched very well. Cant tell the difference.

As for the dent on the rear quarter, I will go with PDR from Duke City Dent in Albuquerque, NM. Just waiting for the insurance check. I'll keep you updated. I don't know how long it will be.

My NSX is Brookland Green. Maybe the pictures are just dark.

-DREW-

Hi guys,

I replaced the rocker panel that the jeeps tow hitch destroyed. (see pic.) The paint matched very well. Cant tell the difference.

As for the dent on the rear quarter, I will go with PDR from Duke City Dent in Albuquerque, NM. Just waiting for the insurance check. I'll keep you updated. I don't know how long it will be.

My NSX is Brookland Green. Maybe the pictures are just dark.

-DREW-
Thanks for the update. I'm very curious to find out how well the PDR process will work on aluminum, so please do keep us posted.

I haven't forgotten. I can't get to Albuquerque this week, and next week my car will be at SoS getting work done.

It may be three weeks to a month before I get the PDR done, but I will certainly let you know and post pics.

-DREW-

OK. I finally got the dent fixed at Duke City Dent. They did an awesome job in about one and a half hours. Can't tell that it was dented. $150 to fix. No problem with the aluminum. I would recommend them if you have a small dent. I'm very happy with the results.

My car is really dirty in the pics, and I'm using a crappy (damaged) camera but you get the just of it. Fourth pic close up...smoooth!:smile: Pampas grass in the reflection.

-DREW-

They did a good job. And they even painted an NSX on ther wall for the picture. Not bad Drew.

Wow, that's awesome Drew! Thank you for following up, it gives me hope that a small door ding on my silver NSX can be repaired in the same manner. And it's super cool that they have a painting of an NSX on their building, I'm sure it gave you an extra degree of confidence upon seeing that. :biggrin:

Back