• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do I need gauges with the CTSC setup?

My CT Engineering supercharger is shipping soon, I've always had gauges like a aem wideband a/f, boost, egt, fuel pressure, oil pressure. With my turbo setups. But since this is a practically stock upgrade is it as necessary. I feel like a A/F and boost maybe... And mount a fuel pressure gauge on the regulator. But if I can keep the simplicity of no gauges I'm ok with that as well.
What do most if you with the CTSC setup do?
Thanks for the input.
BrianB

I didn't for the first kit I had. I do now for the second kit. Only because I had them..I think it's peace of mind now that they are installed. A/f and boost only

With an SC, I suppose the bare minimum would be a sideband AFR meter (not too much chance of over boosting)

I have an a/f and boost. I don't really care about the boost, but I like to peek at my air fuel to make sure everything is working right.

So which header is everyone checking A/F in. The front or rear? I've used AEM in the past any other better options now days?
Fuel pressure does sound like a important issue also.

I ordered the newer AEM fail safe wideband / boost combo gauge and the fuel/oil pressure gauge. The shop doing the install said to use the fuel/oil pressure gauge as oil pressure.
Wouldn't the oem oil pressure gauge be fine? Or is it not very accurate..

I ordered the newer AEM fail safe wideband / boost combo gauge and the fuel/oil pressure gauge. The shop doing the install said to use the fuel/oil pressure gauge as oil pressure.
Wouldn't the oem oil pressure gauge be fine? Or is it not very accurate..

The Oem one is faulty sometimes. SOS has a kit that fixes it but if you're getting the work done I'd just get the aem one to read oil.

The Oem one is faulty sometimes. SOS has a kit that fixes it but if you're getting the work done I'd just get the aem one to read oil.

Ok that must be why the shop wants me to use it as a oil pressure vs fuel. It could be either. I figure since I'm monitoring A/F if there's a issue with fuel pressure I'd see it with the fuel mixture as well. So that is kinda multi purpose. I'm going to install a fuel pressure dial gauge either on my fuel filter with the SOS adapter or on the new pressure regulator. So atleast I'll see it while in the engine bay.

Thanks for the info!!
BrianB

That's one way to look at the AFR but truthfully I'd monitor the fuel pressure over AFR ratio. I monitor my AFR ratio and although it's pretty much always in the low 11's it's much easier to spot a fuel pump going south watching a fuel pressure gauge then a AFR ratio gauge that likes to flutter all over the place.

That's one way to look at the AFR but truthfully I'd monitor the fuel pressure over AFR ratio. I monitor my AFR ratio and although it's pretty much always in the low 11's it's much easier to spot a fuel pump going south watching a fuel pressure gauge then a AFR ratio gauge that likes to flutter all over the place.

That's where I have the issue of which to monitor oil pressure or fuel pressure if I can only pick one.. The pillar gauge pod only has 2 spots. The wideband/boost combo is one for sure. The other can be fuel or oil. I've had a issue of which to make it. I guess oil pressure is more important than fuel pressure if I have to pick only one of the 2

Well with that known should I focus on fuel pressure then? And rely on the oem oil pressure gauge? I looked on SOS for a oem oil pressure fix but didn't see it.

The boost gauge is nice to known when the belt needs to get tensioned. Tension is very critical in the CTSC. Too much is bad.

Fuel-pump: if you have the money for the kit you should have the money for a serious fuel-pump. Overriding the fuel-pump are band-aids IMO. You want to monitor both: AFR and fuel pressure.

The boost gauge is nice to known when the belt needs to get tensioned. Tension is very critical in the CTSC. Too much is bad.

Fuel-pump: if you have the money for the kit you should have the money for a serious fuel-pump. Overriding the fuel-pump are band-aids IMO. You want to monitor both: AFR and fuel pressure.

So you'd suggest to use my oil/fuel pressure gauge for fuel pressure and stick with the oem oil pressure gauge? I'm curious of the scale of the oem I see 4 6 8 I'm guessing that's x10?

I might upgrade the fuel pump, but I wasn't wanting to get into changing it at this point. I've tested it a few months ago and it was fine. The issue was injectors which I changed out. The supra pump is the best to get when the time comes? I've also found a AEM that seemed nice

91-05 Acura NSX AEM High Flow In-Tank Fuel Pump 320 lph 04 03 02 by AEM http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYIGT08/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_If7ctb0MNHTMP

I have purchased a 2 gauge pod. So I'm limited to 2 gauges that's why I picked the combo wideband/boost but I a only use the other as fuel or oil.

Thanks for your input.

So you'd suggest to use my oil/fuel pressure gauge for fuel pressure and stick with the oem oil pressure gauge? I'm curious of the scale of the oem I see 4 6 8 I'm guessing that's x10?

I might upgrade the fuel pump, but I wasn't wanting to get into changing it at this point. I've tested it a few months ago and it was fine. The issue was injectors which I changed out. The supra pump is the best to get when the time comes? I've also found a AEM that seemed nice

91-05 Acura NSX AEM High Flow In-Tank Fuel Pump 320 lph 04 03 02 by AEM http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYIGT08/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_If7ctb0MNHTMP

I have purchased a 2 gauge pod. So I'm limited to 2 gauges that's why I picked the combo wideband/boost but I a only use the other as fuel or oil.

Thanks for your input.
I'd monitor AFR and fuel pressure permanently. A boost pressure monitor is nice to have. If you can switch between them it's even better. If you think your belt is slipping you can observe boost.

The supra pump is quiet and OEM Japan but a the cost of drawing high current (up to 20 A under pressure). And it's expensive as well. Other fuel pumps are working also but can be noisy (depends on your exhaust note :)). With all aftermarket fuel pumps you MUST INSTALL the SOS wiring kit or you don't get all their capabilities out of them because they draw more current the OEM wiring can handle. I know that there are opinions that a Walbro 255 works fine with the OEM wiring. That's true BUT ONLY FOR A STOCK CAR (even then) but a stock car will never see fuel pressures above 60 psi. I had AFR in the 13ies with a Walbro 255 and the CTSC and was about to blow my engine up. Thanks god I always monitor the data after every change. :wink:

Monitoring fuel pressure or AFR: I would monitor both. Remind that there are more things that can cause AFR to be off than just the fuel pressure.

What caused your A/F #'s to get to the 13's? Pressure regulator not set properly? Or was the pump failing?

And from what I get out if this is I should use the oem oil pressure gauge and the AEM fuel pressure gauge. I also thought about mounting a small dial gauge at the FPR for dialing it in.

What caused your A/F #'s to get to the 13's? Pressure regulator not set properly? Or was the pump failing?
The pump was working perfectly after the SOS wiring was installed, no changes to anything else. The OEM wiring was the cause.
Reason: more current drawn by the fuel-pump (esp. under boost) -> more voltage drop over the thin OEM wiring -> less voltage and Ampere at the fuel pump -> less power at the fuel pump -> less flow of the fuel pump -> not enough fuel under boost -> AFR 13.x
Remind that all fuel pumps are rated at a flow rate at voltage xy (12 or 14 V). If you can't supply that voltage or the voltage drops at the fuel pump you will not see the advertised fuel flow rate. The thinner the wiring the more voltage drop. The more current you draw the more voltage drop (Ohms law). The CT voltage doubler does nothing more than raise the voltage at the OEM pump WHILE making sure that this voltage is seen at the fuel pump (thicker wire from the engine bay).

Could you post a pic of your set-up? Would like to see what you have in mind. I am in the middle of purchasing a CTSC and I am thinking I should purchase a monitoring system as well but not sure.

Could you post a pic of your set-up? Would like to see what you have in mind. I am in the middle of purchasing a CTSC and I am thinking I should purchase a monitoring system as well but not sure.

ze7y8y8a.jpg

I ended up doing a failsafe wideband/boost gauge, and a AEM oil pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge is on the fuel filter in the engine bay. I'm debating on adding another AEM pressure gauge and a wideband in the center console once I do a double din Nav unit.

Back