• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do new old stock oil filters go bad?

I've been debating whether to use some of the old original taller oil filters I have that are probably 20 years old vs buying the new current smaller ones. My worry is whether the paper material inside the old filters have gone brittle over time and will just disintegrate into pieces when used, or will it stay intact and perform as original even after all this time??? And if it does break into pieces, will all the paper circulating in the oil destroy my engine? What do you guys think? Always use current, new filters, or it's ok to use very old ones and not worry about the paper being old and turning brittle? What are your thoughts?

Cellulose material can become brittle with time but if the filters were sealed (wrapped in plastic) and kept in a dry place I think they would probably be fine. If in doubt cut one open and see if the filter material is pliable. Also check the rubber for cracking. The anti-drainback valve serves no purpose in an NSX but check it anyway.

Cellulose based paper that is not exposed to UV, high moisture and high temperatures is fairly durable. I still have a number of engineering reference books from the early '70s and the paper is just fine. However, I am not sure that the filter material is necessarily 'paper' . A lot of filter materials are made from cotton fibers which technically are still a cellulose product. Others are made from fiberglass media and some claim a synthetic media - I am not sure what that is.

It is probably just fine to use the new old stock filters. However, the fact that you are thinking about it means you are probably always going to be second guessing the decision. Without a definitive test result saying filters do not deteriorate on the shelf the only way to eliminate the second guessing is to use a new filter.

Save the old filter, it's like a collectors item to some. Use a new filter.
Agree- nothing wrong with the new filters. If you drive your NSX for 10,000 miles every year, maybe. I stick with the Honda brand.

It brings up a bigger issue is that Honda does not date code their parts and do not give a shelf expiration date.

An exception seems to be injection moldings that have no functional requirements for a expiration date. Also, I've seen some OEM markings, but nothing from Honda.

I have a bunch of brands of filters for the NSX. Ultra 8 are cheap and good, but upon inspection of a new filter during an oil change there was a large portion of rust inside the filter. Not sure if the protective seal was damaged or not. I did not use that filter.

The anti-drainback valve serves no purpose in an NSX but check it anyway.

Reason
I have a bunch of brands of filters for the NSX. Ultra 8 are cheap and good, but upon inspection of a new filter during an oil change there was a large portion of rust inside the filter. Not sure if the protective seal was damaged or not. I did not use that filter.
Someone mentioned the Ultra 8 is the same or similar to the discontinued Denso long ago. Is that true?

Back