• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does somebody have a MAME cabinet?

Some of you know MAME for sure: the best arcade machines (coin-up) emulator in the world. :)

I love it, it is 7 years I play with it and every couple months it gets better and better when a new version is released.

If you are between 25 and 35 you can probably understand the nostaglia effect that coin-ups can have. And the fun they generate... no manuals, 30 seconds learning time, throw some Quarter$ in and PLAY. :D

Out Run, Ms PacMan, Donekey Kong, Super Mario, Super Street Fighter II, Golden Axe, Virtua Racing, ... from 1979 to today, over 5000 games are in and can be played! :eek:

Recently I took the decision that I *NEED* a cabinet!

Something like this:

cab.jpg

http://www.x-arcade.com/htm/cabinet.shtml

Does somebody here ever got /builtone?

Thanks for any feedback!

My brother has a Galaga Machine that he wears the buttons out on. I love the machine as well.
Galaga was the only game I was decent on.
It's not a MAME, but he has talked about them like crazy.

Galaga is very nice (and of course perfectely emulated by Mame ;) ) ... if you are interested install MAME on your PC (free, can be downloaded at the link above) and I will send you the Galaga ROM to play! :D

gheba_nsx said:
Galaga is very nice (and of course perfectely emulated by Mame ;) ) ... if you are interested install MAME on your PC (free, can be downloaded at the link above) and I will send you the Galaga ROM to play! :D

I may take you up on that. I will check it out when I get home. Slacking at work right now.

Kewl!!, I will pm you later today.
What time is it there Gheba? And I'm still looking for those wheels in the US. :smile:

It is 10:42am, I will read PM on and off until 10:00pm...

For the wheels: I think that having them via Japan would not be that difficult but it could probably get quite expen$ive! :(

I have MAME on my PC, but rarely play it. Yesterday I ran across an arcade table at Costco. It is far too expensive though, and I would become too addicted. I have enough other hobbies to consume my time!

791539L.jpg

Me and a few buddies from work have brought it up several times, even going ahead and downloading plans from the net, inquiring into arcade controllers+buttons, etc. but have yet to go through with it. I think with the price of flat panels coming down the way they have, it's now affordable to put a decent sized panel (eg. 19") or a big-ass CRT into one of these cabinets. I think one of the keys to having the original look+feel is getting real arcade parts for the joysticks and buttons. By the way, there are a couple of companies that sell these MAME cabinets pre-made, but they charge a nice premium for them. I'd rather do it myself...

Ah, good! :D There are other fanatics... :)

ROMS: the usual p2p channels offer all of them in huge packages, the total exceeds 10GB but we speak of all Arcade games produced between 1978 and 2002. For single ones it is enough to google for example "roms mame bubble bobble" and in one of the first pages you should be able to download it.

CABINET: I am going on with my quest... I may probably buy an old cabinet from the 80s and adapt it to fit a modded XBOX in combo with the dual X-Arcase controller. This seems the easiest solution from what I read... I alrteady play MAME on the TV using the XBOX. It is alot better than on the PC since the controllers works perfectly, the TV gives a sense of interlaced :) and you are on the couch!

If it goes on I will keep you posted! ;)

Yeah they have arcade auctions and we were thinking about just picking up a cheap cabinet with a non-working game and gutting it. The problem is that most of these are in pretty rough shape and may be difficult to find a screen that fits the housing perfectly. One of the guys brought this up again a few months ago -- I think it's time to do it! I just recently set up MAME in my kids bedroom on an old powerbook and my 6 year old is addicted to Rampage and a few other games (even though we have Gamecube, PS2, etc!).

Mine is an original Tron machine from '83. I was forced to move it to make room for the "office" and it broke during the move. :( My girl promises to pay to have it fixed though.

I've tried tinkiring around with MAME, but I have yet to figure it out. Wish I was handier with computers, but it really comes down to time. After my theater is done I plan on building a cabinet. For me, that will be the easy part. Does anybody know some good books or sources for MAME for idiots? There are a lot of URL's out there but they all assume I know a bit more than I really do.

gheba_nsx said:
CABINET: I am going on with my quest... I may probably buy an old cabinet from the 80s and adapt it to fit a modded XBOX in combo with the dual X-Arcase controller. This seems the easiest solution from what I read... I alrteady play MAME on the TV using the XBOX.

:eek: Gheba, please PM me with any info on how this is done!!! Being an XBOX junkie this sounds like the perfect setup. Any info is apreciated!

http://www.hanaho.com/index.php
i'm not sure if this is what your looking for. It is in southern california. They may have a distributor where your at. I wanted to get one but is out of my price range still. It was fun playing on it while i was there. I saw Shaq o Neil's assistant there checking it out when i was there. They sell alot of these to ball players. My friend has the table top one but is not that fun vs. the Stand up full version.
Good Luck
Firesun :cool:

Juice, feel free to ask me millions of questions about MAME, no problem. It is quite easy to setup...

1) download the MAME32 Installation at mame.net

2) Install it where you want, typically c:\Program Files

3) Download the ROMS (emule, kazaa, winmx, DC++, ...), this is the difficult part. If you have specific games you want let me know... ;)

4) Copy the ROMS in the roms dirctory where you installed MAME32

5) Launch MAME and play :D

Juice said:
:eek: Gheba, please PM me with any info on how this is done!!! Being an XBOX junkie this sounds like the perfect setup. Any info is apreciated!

This is a bit more geeky... you need to mod the XBOX with a modchip (I advice to use Smartxx V2) then you will get full access on the XBOX hard drive, OS, ...

At this point you will be able to insatll apps on it: download MAMEOX (Xbiox version of MAME32) and install it. Then copy the ROMS in and voila'... :) deal done! :D

PS: I am not sure about the legality of MOD chips in the US. Here it is legal but I know that M$ is fighting against it... :(

Firesun said:
http://www.hanaho.com/index.php
i'm not sure if this is what your looking for. It is in southern california. They may have a distributor where your at. I wanted to get one but is out of my price range still. It was fun playing on it while i was there. I saw Shaq o Neil's assistant there checking it out when i was there. They sell alot of these to ball players. My friend has the table top one but is not that fun vs. the Stand up full version.
Good Luck
Firesun :cool:

Thanks Firesun, I know the site but it is out of my price range too... building it is a lot less money and a lot more fun! :)

Back