• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Early Christmas - BBSC finds a new home

With about 10 hours of seat time with the BBSC wanted to take a break to thank those involved as well as share with those that might be considering SC options. I'm 2 years into my NSX coming to it after several Prime owners. It was very well maintained and unmodified (only IHE, newer wheels) at that time.
attachment.php

Having owned many cars, unmodified doesn't usually last long. Loved the handling, the look and the Honda reliability. With my other car being a '01 M5 I always struggled a bit that the NSX didn't seem a bit faster. The long 2nd gear didnt' seem to be the best fit for where and how I drive. No question that living near any of the great NSX shops is a huge advantage to achieving performance goals. In Cinti, Source One are the guys. Brian runs one of the best businesses I have ever encountered and Justin is the technician that makes it all happen - he's helped so much with my car I think it makes him the baby daddy. In addition to maintainance, 1st round of mods included JDM gears, lowering with some Dali Springs with some suspension updates off a 2002 going through an R conversion, and a set of 17/18 wheels. Looked better to me, liked the shorter 2nd gear and everything was great for a while.

DSC_6092.jpg

The go faster bug hits again. Struggle with whether the car is really fast enough to be the keeper that I wanted and knowing that SC/Turbo option not likely going to work with daughter heading to college. Pro Speed's RDX injector and software update hit the spot. Very impressed. The additional torque and power fit the bill. Was pretty sure that I could live with it at this performance level.
17B-12-2067777308-H.jpg

Fast forward to Source One's fall event. Some great people and cars there including Curtsr who had recently moved from a BBSC to his great turbo set up. Justin and Brian were quick to figure out this might work out well for everyone in in the span of maybe 30 minutes, moving forward with power that I never thought was within my price range. Justin was able to work his magic, Source One had it tuned locally by Dave, we added a DF R wing & used smoke plasti-dip on the the wheels to tone them down a bit. With AEM F/IC & retaining cats, 8lb pulley it dynoed at 396HP & 280TQ. If not for the occasional noise from the SC, power delivery seems very similar to stock other than a lot more of it. Have driven all kind of windy, hilly back roads in my efforts to evaluate it, it is an absolute blast to drive. Looks like it's pulling down 20 mpg so far and fair to say with a fair amount of time experiencing the boost. At this point, if I'm honest with myself, it's close to the point of exceeding my driving abilitites so will have to continue to work on those. Know that Curt's new set up is pushing over 600HP and can only even start to imagine what that might be like. BIG THANKS to Curt and the guys @ Source for getting me here. Looking forward to the next local gathering at Source One.

DSC02037.jpgDSC02045.jpgDSC02041.jpg

Nice pull, you should put up some pics of the engine bay!

......and so your journey begins. Congrats

Byrdman, wish I would have met ya. I have seen your car several times, as I'm new to the NSX world, but already a "regular" at SourceOne. Great write up on Brian and Justin. Great guys doing great work. Hope to meet you sometime.
-Nathan

sounds good. I had 53000 miles on my bbsc (and it was still working great) when i switched to my monster SOS turbo. BBSC is bar none the best boost for the dollar out there. The current buyers are benefiting greatly from the long ago easily solvable problems the bbsc had with regards to price. FWIW i loved the sound.

Back