• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Emissions Failure

I failed emsissions last week for registration, so I decided to get the 30k service done on my '94. Sunnyvale accura worked on it for 5 days. It still dose not pass on the hydo carbons, but passes perfectly (very low side) on everything else.
It has Comptec ceramic coated headers, RM exhaust, and K&N filter.
Any ideas??

You need Fletch to get the car up to 120mph to check the fluorohydrocarbons. Just kidding. But really, have you taken the car out on the highway for about 20 minutes before the inspection? I had to do that before with other cars of mine in order for them to pass. Also, is the Acura dealer running the emissions test so they can diagnose the problem.

I had it tested for registration. I had the dealer go ahead and test it since I figured if it didn't pass, they would be able to fix it.
The first time it failed, I had driven it on the freeway although it was more of a sprint to get it nice and hot (100+ for about 3 miles).

I'm not an emissons expert, but if your hydrocarbons are high, I would think that is a tuning issue, not an exhaust issue. You might check the condition of the plugs (obvious place to start) and make sure they are clean and all of them are firing properly. Then, you might check the air fuel ratio to make sure you are still in good tune. See if your dealer has a sniffer to do this.

Hope this helps.

------------------

View

Driving 100 MPH for 3-4 miles will not warm things up properly. You are better off driving at normal speeds for about 20 minutes.

The saga continues.
Took it into Los Gatos. Emissions still failing. They have gone through it today. Everything seems to checkout mechanically except the Cats are running too cool ...about 150 degrees too cool. They said they look fine other than that. They are investigating......
The only difference between when it passed before and now are the addition of Comptech headers. I don't see how that would effect it though.

I had the same problem last month. The cat in our cars need to be very hot. Drive around for at least 30 minutes and don't shut your engine when u get to the smog sstationj. Cure my problem. Had a high reading on hydrocarbon at idle and high rpm.

Back