• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine just stalls after a few.. which dealer should I go to Sunnyvale or Los Gatos?

Kaz

Contributing Member
Hey All

I Need some advice.. My NSX has got a sensor problem, and the Engine dies or becomes feably weak (runs below idle around 500 rpm before it dies) in real random times. I can go 100 miles(yesterday Sonoma county to Sunnyvale) or 200 yards( today) before it will stall again.

Anyway My question is: do you think I should bite the bullet and get it towed to Los Gatos Acura which is about 10 miles away from my home or just risk it and travel 2 miles to Sunnyvale Acura?

I've heard a lot of good thing about Los gatos. but I don't think I've hear anything about Sunnyvale...

Anyway any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Hey Kaz,

I would recommend Los Gatos Acura... I have brought mine there and they took care of all my needs. I'm not sure about Sunnyvale though...like youself, I have not heard anything about their operation...

If you bring your vehicle to Los Gatos, ask for Jim Russell.

good luck,
Steve

Re: Engine just stalls after a few.. which dealer should I go to Sunnyvale or Los Gatos?

JIM RUSSELL @ HOPKINS ACURA, ENOUGH SAID. :biggrin:

Re: Engine just stalls after a few.. which dealer should I go to Sunnyvale or Los Gatos?

Since you're in the general area, I'd give ForeignAffair a try (http://www.fahonda.com/)

I was just over there on Friday for an oil change, and I can say they know their stuff. They are not inexpensive... but I'll be going back.

Let me third the recommendation to go to Jim Russell at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. Absolutely.

Chip

juejaimon said:
Hey Kaz,

I would recommend Los Gatos Acura... I have brought mine there and they took care of all my needs. I'm not sure about Sunnyvale though...like youself, I have not heard anything about their operation...

If you bring your vehicle to Los Gatos, ask for Jim Russell.

good luck,
Steve

Steve,

Jim Russell is the service manager at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. I agree he is excellent, but he does not work in Los Gatos.

Chip

I would NOT recommend Los Gatos Acura. I've had very bad experiences with them (Service Dept and Paint Shop) on my former 2001 Acura CL Type-S. The Service Dept. scratched my left-rear 1/4 panel, didn't perform warranty work correctly and lied to me a couple of times. For the repainting of the 1/4 paint, I had their Paint Shop do the repaint. It took three repaints and 4 weeks before it looked almost acceptable (still had a minor run in clear-coat, but I got tired of dealing with their incompetence).

Since then, I traded my 2001 Acura CL Type-S in for a 2003 Acura CL Type-S 6MT from Acura of Pleasanton. They also performed all of the services and mods on my CL over the last two years to near perfection. I also bought my 2005 NSX from them. However, I haven't had them perform a service on my NSX yet. But they have at least two techs who are NSX savvy and have done mods on NSX's. So I highly recommend Acura of Pleasanton.

Sorry you had a bad experience at Los Gatos Acura. I've been taking my NSX there since 1997 but have only one tech, Gary Vosters, work on my car. Always does a perfect job and goes the extra mile to get everything right. I just request that he be the only one that work on my car when it's there. Never had a problem and I trust him 100%. After nearly eight years, I have yet to be disappointed with any work done on my car.

For my last coolant hose replacement job, I went to Don Lam since Los Gatos Acura has become fairly expensive. They restructured their rates recently and I simply didn't want to pay nearly twice as much for the same work. Don Lam did an excellent job and I plan to take my NSX back when I need more substantial work. It's quite a drive but worth it to me.

Last edited:

Vytas said:
Sorry you had a bad experience at Los Gatos Acura. I've been taking my NSX there since 1997 but have only one tech, Gary Vosters, work on my car. Always does a perfect job and goes the extra mile to get everything right. I just request that he be the only one that work on my car when it's there. Never had a problem and I trust him 100%. After nearly eight years, I have yet to be disappointed with any work done on my car.
One of Gary's young protoges [assume an accent ague over the e] is also extremely competent. Not sure if either of them are still there. Any updates, Vytas?

Dinan M3 said:
One of Gary's young protoges [assume an accent ague over the e] is also extremely competent. Not sure if either of them are still there. Any updates, Vytas?

One of the protoges there is David Yuhaus. He may have worked on my car once but under the supervision of Gary. Another excellent NSX tech is Hans. Didn't see him there last time though (may have been his day off).

Wow its been a year since the original post...I ment to post something up about what happened but I guess I forgot. :tongue:

Anyway another data point - Sunnyvale Acura

I took it to Sunnyvale Acura cause they were only a 1 mile away from where I live. The problem was fuel pump relay.

Since it was a simple fix I had them do it to save me some time.. Overall experience there was average. Nothing special. I did get a little worried though when they said "Wow.. we don't get a whole lot of NSX coming in here for problems.." I think I asked if they had a NSX specific tech and I think the guy looked at me funny.

Would I bring my car there again? maybe if I needed something very simple done.. Other than that probably not.

Just made my biennial smog check appointment at Los Gatos Acura. Looks like NSX tech Gary Vosters is no longer there, though David Yuhaus is still there. David is an excellent NSX tech as well and did a good job last time fine tuning my RRFPR to get the high-boost CTSC kit to pass smog, even with the larger injectors. Anyone know what became of Gary?

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Sunnyvale Acura:frown: I purchased my Integra there, but as far as the service goes it sucks. Take your NSX to Stevens Creek Acura down the road. They have an NSX specific mechanic there who is also an owner.

Aside from the dealers, I highly recommend Don's Hilltop Auto Service in Daly City.

svalleynsx said:
I've had nothing but bad experiences with Sunnyvale Acura:frown: I purchased my Integra there, but as far as the service goes it sucks. Take your NSX to Stevens Creek Acura down the road. They have an NSX specific mechanic there who is also an owner.

Aside from the dealers, I highly recommend Don's Hilltop Auto Service in Daly City.

I think its too late. I just have Sunnyvale Acura did the oil change for my NSX today and it seems everything works fine. What kinds of bad experience do you have? I might not bring it back for any other service since Sunnyvale Acura is so close to where I work.

larrynsx said:
I think its too late. I just have Sunnyvale Acura did the oil change for my NSX today and it seems everything works fine. What kinds of bad experience do you have? I might not bring it back for any other service since Sunnyvale Acura is so close to where I work.

Just the overall general knowledge of their staff is very poor IMO. Also in the times I've taken my car there, they seem to drag their feet and promise to have the car ready by a certain time, then never deliver. They also exude an air of shadiness, and again just my opnion, but they seem to want to do the least amount of work and charge you the most excessive amount of money.

Maybe this would be a good time to again recommend Jim Russell at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. I have had wonderful experience with him. See recommendations from me and two others for going there higher in this thread.

Dinan M3 said:
Just made my biennial smog check appointment at Los Gatos Acura. Looks like NSX tech Gary Vosters is no longer there, though David Yuhaus is still there. David is an excellent NSX tech as well and did a good job last time fine tuning my RRFPR to get the high-boost CTSC kit to pass smog, even with the larger injectors. Anyone know what became of Gary?

I heard that Gary is no longer working on cars as a profession. I think he is doing something in the high-tech industry. With all of his talents, it's unfortunate that his skills will no longer be available to the community. He'll be missed.

Maybe this would be a good time to again recommend Jim Russell at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. I have had wonderful experience with him. See recommendations from me and two others for going there higher in this thread.

Update: Sadly, Jim Russell has left Hopkins Acura, and will now be working on Jaguars and other British cars in San Jose. :frown:

No more Gary, no more Jim :frown:. I guess there's still Foreign Affair in the south bay, and of course Don up in SF area.

Back