• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First Impressions of the NSX (Long)

Hi All,

I just picked up my '03 in Chicago on Saturday and drove it home to Boston, logging about 4 hours on Saturday and a straight 12 on Sunday. Here are my questions and impressions of the car thus far. I realize to some extent my opinions are colored by the fact that I drove the car for such a long duration on Sunday, and I also think my first impressions may modify over time as I become used to the car.

Pros:
-The looks are just amazing. You can't believe how low and little the car is when seeing it in person.
-Zero body roll in the corners.
-View from the cockpit and mirror positioning creates a feeling of what I think the view from a Le Mans race car would like.
-The sound over your left shoulder on accelleration is so sweet.
-The seats are awesome, although I do wish the headrest tilted forward.
-The headlights, especially under high beam, are very good.
-Braking is superior.
-Visibility is decent, which is a plus in this class.
-Acceleration is strong in every gear. The gear ratios are such that the engine RPM's are higher than I expected, which in retrospect makes sense given where the powerband is strongest and how this engine is expected to be driven.
-Large gas tank/MPG/range of vehicle. I could get 400 miles on the highway and was averaging over 25MPG with the car mostly at 80MPH in 6th gear. I consider that pretty amazing for a sports car.

Cons:
-The stereo is truly as bad as reported, maybe worse.
-Much more road noise than expected. Probably affected at least a bit by the rubber (Potenzas).
-The car seems especially prone to tracking along depressions/ruts in the road (more on this below).
-The car was rather demanding to drive, which was unexpected. Perhaps a case of unrealistic expectations on my part or perhaps an issue with the car, but I expected it to feel much easier than the regular vehicle to drive at 80 MPH, not the other way around.
-There really is almost zero cabin room for anything other than 2 people. A characteristic of the class of car, no doubt, but will still take some getting used to. Additionally, the cabin controls are a stretch to reach, especially the A/C.
-Wet traction. Probably a funtion of the rubber (Potenzas), which I hear are generally regarded as pretty bad.
-Wished the steering wheel adjusted down. I will be reading the manual today to see if I was overlooking this function, but I think it just telescopes in and out.
-Wished the cruise control had a cancel feature.
-With the lights on in the day (rain), the cabin controls become nearly impossible to read.

Issues/Questions/Concerns:
-After a run of about 350 miles without stopping, I pulled up to the gas pump and smelled a pretty strong hot engine smell. The engine was not hot as indicated by the gague in the instrument panel and was actually steady as a rock the whole trip. Is this normal?
-The car runs a little rough when it is first started up, with a minor vibration present in the cabin. Is this normal?
-There is a hard to describe audible-only (not tactile) vibration/oscillation coming from the rear of the car especially at 60MPH or higher. It gets somewhat faster as you increase the speed of the car. It is not felt in the car, only heard. Could it be a function of the tires again? Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
-For guys who drive in the Northeast/Northern climates, I can't imagine anyone going with firmer than stock suspension if the car is not primarily for track purposes. There are a lot of bumps and ruts between Chicago and Boston and I felt a LOT of them. Has anyone gone to a softer suspension? (a sacrilege, I know).
-Most unexpected and concerning was the handling of this car in the depressions that naturally form in the road where cars typically travel. The car felt almost like it was on a train track and would track very strongly with these depressions. Changing lanes was like a train changing tracks, with the accompanying quick side to side shudder. Shudder isn't really the right word, but if you ride a train with any regularity, you probably know what I'm talking about. Is this typical? Could it be a function of excessive toe in (totally guessing here)? The combination of the wet traction performance (bad) and this tracking along the ruts in which there were occassional puddles, was a very bad combination (bordering on unsafe) and required quite a bit of attention in the rain, which thankfully only lasted about 9 solid hours :rolleyes:.

Thanks for reading, I am interested in feedback from folks who have owned the car for a while to determine if my issues are car-specific or a function of the overall design.

-Wished the steering wheel adjusted down. I will be reading the manual today to see if I was overlooking this function, but I think it just telescopes in and out.
Yep, that one you missed. The telescoping is the lever on the left and the up/down is a slide lever in the center underneath.

btw. Congrats on your new ride. Where are the pic's?

You would probably know a lot of these answers had you just driven my car when I offered. :biggrin:

You don't need a softer suspension. You are used to a TL. Give yourself some time to adjust. I now find the suspension to be quite compliant.

Its hard to tell on the others by some of your descriptions exactly. I will have to go on a spin with you. Post some pics please. For all we know this whole thing could be a fantasy of yours.

Its sounds like the car is giving you more feedback than you expected. The following of ruts in the road is part of driver's feedback. This car will make more and more sense to you, the more you drive it.

Also, if you plan on doing any high performance/driver's education stuff (you know, track days), then it will *really* make more sense to you.

BTW, following ruts is more of a symptom of toe-out in front than toe-in. Sporty/racey cars tend to have zero to some toe-out in front and no power steering. Highway cruisers tend to have soft suspension, toe-in and power steering so the driver never notices the changes in the road.

Send pics and write back in a month. You'll likely be very happy with how it feels.

I ran a set of the cheapest Z rated tires on my nsx when I got it, the General Exclaim UHP. Let me tell you what, this thing is AMAZING in the rain with those tires! Never a single slip or slide during one a past club drive in the rain through the mountains! I pushed that sucker hard too being one of the front runners of the drive, trying pull away from the rest of the pack. Dry traction is good too, but they kinda suck on the REAL tight twisty autoX type stuff.

Who needs a button to cancel cruise control when you can just lightly tap the brake? Even the slightest touch will cancel the cruise control w/o activating the brake light. But for the ultimate in laziness, a button would be nice. (I know, I've wanted one too at one point or another, lol.) ANd pressing both buttons take too much effort, lol. I just lightly tap the brake.

My car only tracked with the road groves and ruts when I went to aftermarket wider rims and tires. I never noticed it before. At one point it scared the hell outta me driving from denver to boulder, because the groves went side to side. Thought I was gonna spin out at 85-90 mph! All this while the regular ol' cars around me tracked straight as an arrow over them. They probably thought I was driving like an ass weaving around.

you'll get used to the suspension. I found it to be extremely cush for a performance car. Stock is the softest you can go.... Well I think the 91-94 stock springs are softer...... Give it time before you do any real changing.

yes the steering wheel tilts. Lever is on the bottom in the middle of the column. Telescopicing is directly left of it.

Yeah, I have to reach forward a bit to mess with the controls too. Not too bad though. If you wanna see bad, try the controls in the middle dash of the lastest Ford F150!I have to bend over to the side and reach WAY forward to control that, almost on the verge of having to unbuckle my seat belt. Maybe it's because I'm only 5'7"?

All in all, enjoy the car. It really is a blast to drive in the twisties :)

-Wished the cruise control had a cancel feature.

another thrick is, your clutch peddal has a switch. press down (tap) lightly without actuall disengaging the clutch, this will cancel your cruise

Issues/Questions/Concerns:
-The car runs a little rough when it is first started up, with a minor vibration present in the cabin. Is this normal?
normal= Yes

women actually love this option :biggrin:

Oh thats it. LOL, and I thought the ladies like to go to lunch for my great conversation:rolleyes:

That noise in the back that you hear and gets louder as you go faster=engine :biggrin:

just kidding, can't help without hearing it.

I second all the other guys on the handling. It takes some time to get use to, but after a while you'll find other cars to feel numb.

Hi, Liquid,

Congrats on your purchase. I have also done Chicago-Boston trip in my ex-NSX once!

In regard to your concern about NSX tracking grooves on the highway, I would check your tires first as others have mentioned. Please check the tread wear, tire pressure, directions are all correct and etc.

In regard to your concern about the vibration above 60mph, I would check with Mitch at Mechanics Direct if this issue really concerns you. My initial guess is tires - if you feel the vibration through your steering wheel between 50-60mph, I would also suspect a little bit of bend in your wheels.

You will get used to driving in your NSX in New England. You will soon realize that your suspension is not too firm. I used to have Tein RA on my car and boy...

Have fun!

Back