• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

G2 Caliper Paint Quick Review (Red with White letters)

QUICK REVIEW:
I used the G2 Caliper Paint Kit (Red) and Duplicolor Engine Enamel (Universal White) to paint the raised "NSX" lettering. Took me about 8 hours the first day to clean, mask and paint the calipers and 1 hour the next day to paint the raised lettering. G2 does a good job self leveling but don't expect brembo like smoothness since our calipers have that nasty cast texture. Overall it doesn't look too bad and it's probably the best DIY finish you can get besides powder coating. Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out. Hopefully Red with white lettering doesn't look too tacky :frown:

CALIPER PAINT PROCESS:

1. Jack up your car and take off your wheels.
2. Clean your calipers REALLY well (use included brake cleaner or pressure washer with Simple Green Motorsports)
3. Use 3M Blue masking tape to mask off areas you don't want painted (rotors, shims, bleeder valve, etc).
4. Mix the G2 paint and reactor together. Wait 5 minutes then mix again.
5. Apply 1st coat lightly. Wait 15-30 minutes then apply second light coat. Wait 15-30 minutes and apply the last coat medium-heavy but not too heavy or you'll get runs.
6. Wait 24 hours for G2 paint to cure.

"NSX" RAISED LETTERING PAINTING PROCESS:
1. Use 400 grit sandpaper to scuff up the top surface of the letters.
2. Shake the spray can for a minute and spray it into a paper cup.
3. Use a small bristle brush to apply the 1st light coat on the letters. Wait 10 minutes then apply the 2nd medium coat. Wait 10 minutes then apply then last medium-heavy coat but not too heavy or you'll get runs.
4. Wait 12 hours for the Duplicolor paint to cure.

TIPS:
- I used Simple Green (Motorsports) with a nylon bristle brush along with cheap $90 pressure washer to clean the calipers. Worked VERY well, better than just brake cleaner.
- Don't use the brush that came with the kit. Get 3-4 bristle brushes, 1 for each coat. I bought the $3.50 bristle brush set from Home Depot.
- systematically pick out loose hairs in the brush or they'll get stuck in the paint.
- Lay the first 2 coats thin and the last coat thick but not too thick as to cause runs. This will give you the smoothest finish
- Use a new brush for each coat.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0297-2.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0296-1.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

Last edited:
Another option (how I did my brakes) is to take a dremel and remove the paint from the raised NSX. The G2 kit works very well.

Wrong post.

Last edited:
Back