• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Garmin Mechanic with ecoRoute HD

Disclaimer...I have no idea if this will work with an ODB2 NSX, but I think that it will.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod38354.html

Basically, for just under $100, you purchase a dongle from Garmin that plugs into the ODBII port and is secured under dash by double-sided tape or zip ties (both supplied). You download a free app for your Android SmartPhone, and you can then read error codes, reset the check engine light, monitor critical engine functions, and custom configure gauges for display on your SmartPhone or compatible Garmin Nuvi GPS device. It is also supposed to record acceleration times, G-loading, and some other parameters...

Unfortunately, this won't work on my 91 NSX, and SoS advises that there is no way to convert ODB1 to ODB2 to get this to work properly on older NSX's. I am not sure if Garmin will offer an Apple version of the app as well. However, I thought someone might want to take a chance and see if this will work. I did order one for my 2001 Chevy Blazer so I'll test it on that vehicle...

Update: Installed this in my Blazer in about 5 minutes, attached the dongle to the underside of the dash using industrial strength Velcro from Home Depot. Had to restart the Blazer three times to get it to pair and configure, but after that it is all automatic and it pairs within seconds. Apparently you can only pair this device to either/or a compatible Garmin Nuvi or Android SmartPhone...but not both at the same time. It looks like a standard five gauge cluster displays on the Nuvi, but if I turn off the GPS and then pair my SmartPhone, I can display any two of the following gauges (which may be specific to the Blazer) using the Garmin app...don't know what an NSX's OBD2 would offer. The gauges may be displayed in either portrait or landscape mode.

1. Fuel rail pressure
2. Ambient air temperature
3. Engine load
4. Coolant temperature
5. Short-term fuel trim bank 1
6. Long-term fuel trim bank 1
7. Short-term fuel trim bank 2
8. Long-term fuel trim bank 2
9. Fuel pressure
10. Intake Pressure
11. Engine RPM
12. Vehicle speed
13. Timing advance
14. Intake air temperature
15. Barometric pressure
16. Throttle position
17. Mass airflow rate
18. Ethanol fuel %
19. Estimated torque
20. Economy (fuel)
21. Estimated power
22. Eco score (rates your style of driving)
23. Battery voltage
24. Boost/vacuum

If you enter the number of gallons and cost at each fill up, the app/GPS calculates all kinds of data that you can then analyze via built in graphs. Seems pretty cool so far...

Update #2: Pressing and holding any of the five gauges displayed on the Garmin GPS unit allows you to swap that gauge for any of the ones listed above.

Last edited:
Back