• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help on ABS/ABL Leak & Return Alarm sys. to original

Looking for advice on a cost effective solution to deal with the apparently common ABL leak issue that appears to afflict my '91 NSX . It was initially masked by leaking slave clutch which i assumed the fluid puddle in garage came from.

When cold (not often as I live austin, TX) the abs/abl would make that accumlator cycling noise shortly after I applied brakes first time . After looking at the helpful articles on this issue I did the stomp test which did not seem to help. Noticed the leak when I moved car to new spot in garage but unfortunately have not been able to crawl under and isloate which component of the abl is acutally leaking (due to dead battery further complicated by "jacked up" aftermarket clifford alarm which apparently is disabling the start system and a couple of ).

I do want to keep an operational ABL and don't want just disable and keep kitty litter on floor until system has completely blead out.

For anyone that has successfully dealt with this issue before...
  1. What part (modulator or accumlator) of system is generally the culprit for leak?
  2. Can component be repaired (ie new seals) or is this a 100% replacement only option.
  3. Any $$ estimates on successfull repairs.
Thanks!!

So I just read a post on NSX Owner Discussion reference this same topic. Does anyone have a recomendation for expirenced NSX shop in Texas (Austin preferred) that could reasonably tackle the ABS system??

SOS ( Science Of Speed ) sells this Upgrade to the 02+ ABS system
for
<TABLE align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#ffffff cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><!-- ITEM 1 --><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>ScienceofSpeed NA2 ABS Conversion Uprade (includes harness) - NSX, 1991-2000 </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#6f95db colSpan=3>
clear_spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=150>[bpp-361] $1,765.50 </TD><TD vAlign=bottom width=300> </TD><TD width=100> </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
clear_spacer.gif
clear_spacer.gif
</TD></TR><!-- ITEM 2 --><TR><TD colSpan=3>ScienceofSpeed NA2 ABS Conversion Electrical Harness - NSX, 1991-2000 </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#6f95db colSpan=3>
clear_spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=150>[bpp-361.1] $442.50 </TD><TD vAlign=bottom width=300> </TD><TD width=100> </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
clear_spacer.gif
clear_spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=3>
clear_spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=3>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
its not that hard to do,, if you have some tools you can do it comes with instructions so you cant go wrong

hey thanks! after a little research I saw this and if the current system is shot and can't be fixed with the method used by Eiffle in Atlanta then I definately plan to do it. heading out of town for a month and a half and don't have time to do it myself and really want to have it back up and running when i return. Still looking for a good tx mechanic if anyone has and recommends....

I would contact Larry Bastanza straight away and see if he knows of a good NSX mechanic in Austin. He knows a lot and it's at least worth the try. Other than that I'm surprised someone hasn't come forth on this. There is a gizmo Eiffel used on mine and it seemed to do the trick but I would also recommend that you bleed the brakes at the same time and change the fluid there too. I should have done that. But mine was bled about 3 months earlier. I guess I'm ok on that but it wouldn't hurt.

That's my only suggestion - or get on the Texas site here. You know the country is broken up into areas - look on the main forum page and scroll down till you see South West section - they'll have some TX folks that should chime in. That's another idea or just check their threads.

Hope this helps. It's really a simple fix for a professional - I'm glad I didn't have to go thru that DIY thing myself for the "solenoid flush" where you manually exercise the solenoids - that wouldn't be any fun.

Let us know how this come out for you. All the best.

Tim,
Thanks much! I learned alot reading your post in owners forum and I posted same request on regional forum. Hopefully I can find someone as I'm in relatively same boat as far as doing it all myself. I can do it but have limited time to spend on project except nights after 8-10 hrs at work plus my garage not heated and it's dang cold in Austin this time of year!!
-rob

Tim,
Thanks much! I learned alot reading your post in owners forum and I posted same request on regional forum. Hopefully I can find someone as I'm in relatively same boat as far as doing it all myself. I can do it but have limited time to spend on project except nights after 8-10 hrs at work plus my garage not heated and it's dang cold in Austin this time of year!!
-rob

Rob,

Check in the SW section of the local groups and those fellas will hook you up with the mechanic. Luis Rodrigues' (TX Chopper Guy) friend is a former Acura certified mechanic and there are a few other guys in the area. Plus the Austin group is super active and really great guys.

Mark

Last edited:
I removed and replaced all the rubber o rings for all four abs solenoids. My leaks are all gone. The parts are avail from ray laks acura .I also have an extra set, I purchaced extras for a friend who never used them. Tim is the best source for acura parts in my opinion.. 716 826 4200

I removed and replaced all the rubber o rings for all four abs solenoids. My leaks are all gone. The parts are avail from ray laks acura .I also have an extra set, I purchaced extras for a friend who never used them. Tim is the best source for acura parts in my opinion.. 716 826 4200

??? Part # Please ????

Small oring, 4 needed 1 for each solenoid 19012 671 300// larger oring 8 needed for the solenoids and 2 for the reservoir 57202 sbo 801 // I have the 4 small orings and 9 large ones almost enought do do the job. all brand new. Can we trade for ac circuit board job? I will also throw in an extra bose amp.. thanks joe

Last edited:
Small oring, 4 needed 1 for each solenoid 19012 671 300// larger oring 8 needed for the solenoids and 2 for the reservoir 57202 sbo 801 // I have the 4 small orings and 9 large ones almost enought do do the job. all brand new. Can we trade for ac circuit board job? I will also throw in an extra bose amp.. thanks joe

Are those Acura part #'s ?

See: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93863

for a complete ABS parts break-down.
P/Ns don't seem to match.

Sorry the numbers dont match. Im not sure what trouble Tim at Ray Laks went throught to get my car on the road but he is the parts expert not me..

Joe,
Can you please note which o-rings you replaced? There are 18 o-rings in the attached diagram.
Maybe, match your part numbers to the index numbers in the diagram.

thanks.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Warren, The picture shown does not look like the system on my car. For instance the housing that fits under the reservoir is one solid piece of alumn. I have seen a few nsx abs systems and none look like that set up. Joe

Rob,
If you read some of my other posts I think that you will be more informed on this system. More than likely you don't need to do anything to your ABS system other than bleeding it by actuating the solenoids.

I have helped some other guys in Austin. I am currently in Ft Hood till mid Feb. Sorry I don't still have my tools in TX. Drop me a PM.
Brad

Warren, I looked at an abs assembly on the market place from a 91.. It looks different from the set up on my 92.. maybe that is why the o ring part numbers dont match.. My unit looks a little different..

Back