• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to find the old "keyless entry mod"?

Before the Prime update, there was a prime page on how to add a relay to make your lights flash with the 1991-2003 OEM keyless system.
It's referenced in many threads including this one:
I looked at it before but now I can't find it with searches to reference it. Does anyone know how to find this old page? Moderators?
Thanks, Tim

Before the Prime update, there was a prime page on how to add a relay to make your lights flash with the 1991-2003 OEM keyless system.
It's referenced in many threads including this one:
I looked at it before but now I can't find it with searches to reference it. Does anyone know how to find this old page? Moderators?
Thanks, Tim

See attached, courtesy of the waybackmachine.

Attachments

• nsx-keyless-relay-mod.pdf
    355.5 KB · Views: 12
As someone who tried it my advice is don't bother. You have to be looking directly at the tail / parking lights on the car to see it, in which case you can just watch the lock knobs for confirmation. I switched to the horn option; but, I used an interposing relay with a one shot timer that was set at about .1 - .2 seconds long to give a chirp, other wise you will get a horn 'blast'.

Very surprised by the visibility perception. I found it to be a big improvement and easily visible in most light conditions, even more so once I converted my tail lights to LED. I was about to add a diode so that it only flashed to confirm locking so I could tell locking from unlocking but I think I'll be adding one of the NSXPrime remote entries to get remote trunk release as well. So I guess I'd agree with the "don't bother" aspect and go with just getting a kit from @I_M_Legend (LHD) or @drew (RHD), to get single/double flashing for locking vs. unlocking and the remote trunk release.

Last edited:
If you have LEDs that are bright that may improve the visibility in bright sun light. For me, the bigger issue is more that I have to be looking at the car to see the lights flash and if I am doing that watching the lock knob is just as effective. My habit is that I walk away from the car, press and listen. If the light flashing option works for you that is great.

Dave Dozier's circuit uses the open / close command for the lock motors to trigger the signaling action. The open / close command is a fairly long pulse so the lights will be more than just a brief flash, more like they are turning on and then turning off. That long pulse is also why the horn option is a bad choice because it generates a blast more than a chirp necessitating that interposing timer.

His circuit uses the tail light relay to pulse the taillight and front parking lights. That circuit controls more than just those lights so don't be surprised when you get some interior lights flashing at the same time.

I tried something like that - a piezoelectric sonalert. In order for it to work well you have to mount the buzzer or alarm in the front hood area. I did not want to run extra wires through the front bulkhead so I mounted it inside the car in the passenger footwell area where the interposing relay was installed. It was borderline useless. With even moderate outside traffic you had to really listen for the confirmation and if you were 10 ft away you could not hear it at all.

The NSX does have a 3rd security horn. However, it is activated by the horn relay just like the other two horns so I am a little lost on the purpose of that 3rd horn. It is really just a 3rd horn mounted under the front hood. If the security horn was wired out separately to the security unit you could use that for signaling the lock operation, however it isn't.

The NSX does have a 3rd security horn. However, it is activated by the horn relay just like the other two horns so I am a little lost on the purpose of that 3rd horn. It is really just a 3rd horn mounted under the front hood. If the security horn was wired out separately to the security unit you could use that for signaling the lock operation, however it isn't.
I suspect this is because you can simply reach in and unplug the two horns through the lower opening at the front of the car. The security horn would require the hood to be opened before you could unplug it.

Back