• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I am visiting Kahului Maui

I was wondering if there are any members that is familiar with or reside in kahului maui. I will be visiting and I wonder if I can get some pointers on what to do and where to hang out.

Thanks in advance.

I found this book very helpful

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0971727996/?tag=yahhyd-20&hvadid=36552477511&ref=pd_sl_600qmpv0ya_b

You also MUST eat at Mama's Fish House...must make early reservations as in a month in advance...check online.

If you plan to snorkel a lot or it's something you can do right off your place of stay, you may want to purchase cheap gear there or rent it for a week vs. on a day to day basis to save $$.

WATCH your speed...cops there are in unmarked cop cars and they will ding you for 5 mph over the speed limit on an open road too.

Gotta eat Maui Tacos somewhere...think the place I went to was just called "Maui Tacos" but ask the locals/parking valets/door men where to find the "dives".

Lastly, you may want to invest in a water resistant/proof camera esp if you want pics when snorkeling. Boarding is fun too. Wife took surf lessons as well but try to find a smaller/private lesson so you get more time.

Have a good time.

Jeff

I was in Maui last summer, and these are the "Must Do, See" IMO :
Go on the road to Hana and then, when you arrive in Hana, go and find a quiet beach. If you want the "tropical, exotic Maui", then Hana is a must!
Eat a pancake breakfast at the Gazebo restaurant
Spend an afternoon/evening in Paia....They have great restaurants and cool little places for live music
As far as snorkeling, you will get the best visibility at Molokini, but there's no privacy....it's usually packed with divers and boats

I just bought my tickets to Kahului thursday. Theres a great deal on hawaiian airlines that i just could not pass up, and i leave in october. I never been to hawaii and cant wait to see what they have to offer.

I stayed in Lahaina and Kaanapali 3 weeks ago for my sister's wedding. Only did the road to Hana half way. We went to Twin Falls and jumped in the waterfall. After walking back, we didn't feel like driving another 2 hours to Hana so we turned around.

Definately go snorkeling at Kaanapali. We were snorkeling next to Black Rock behind the Sheraton and there were 2 giant sea turtles eating moss 2 feet away from me.

I have been to Maui several times, usually staying on West Maui...most frequently in Kapalua. I don't know much around Kahului other than the airport, a smallish mall, a Costco, and a Walmart.

I enjoyed the one time I snorkeled off of Molokini, but I hear it has gotten pretty congested with tourists. Lately, I just snorkel in Kapalua Bay.

There are zip lines and a lot of great hiking trails up in Kapalua. I hear they've also added zip lines in Upcountry. Haven't done any of the zip lines yet, but I love the hikes. I also had fun on ATVs in Upcountry...the one I did takes you to a spot where you can hike and see the rain forest.

I've gone up to Haleakala, but haven't done sunrise there (which everyone says is spectacular) or the bike ride down. There's also hiking from the top down to the Hana side, but I haven't done that yet.

Road to Hana is a must at least once (I've done it a few times...including running 9 miles of a relay along the 52 mile route), but there really is nothing to do in Hana itself. Past Hana, the Seven Sacred Pools are worth seeing...more hiking.

As for food, Mama's Fish House is awesome, but expensive. I'm a really big fan of The Banyan Tree at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua as well and, in the same neighborhood as the Ritz, Sansei Seafood Restaurant and Sushi Bar and Merriman's.

You must get one breakfast (specifically the banana - mac nut - pineapple pancakes) at The Gazebo in Napili Bay.

Try Ono Gelato in Paia or Lahaina...their tropical fruit flavors are amazing.

For ideas of what to expect, just click on any of the Maui links listed here: http://akira3d.smugmug.com/travel

Last edited:
Back